Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat bread. I'll just eat them out of the can. :blush:
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like the king oscar sardines in mustard, I drain them, smash em up with half an avocado, a bit of minced red onion and celery and spread it on rye toast, or make a lettuce wrap.

And I will be trying nutmeg with fish - that's interesting and I never would have thought of it :)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    NUTMEG!? That sounds utterly scandalous!!!

Don't knock unless you've tried it. It helps reduce the "fishy" odor when I pan fry salmon. Going to see how it works on sardines next.

Okay than if nutmeg does that than I will try it!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    Sardines are OK. Much prefer fresh Mackerel

I got burned out on Mackerel as a kid but buy yellow fin tuna in olive oil by the case. I do not have an issue with King Oscar sardines at all but often others around do. :)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    mmmm, sardines in mustard, mmmmmmm
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    .....and they weren't bad. Had a can of sardines sitting in hot sauce. Read the nutritional value and they were touted as being healthy as well as high calcium.
    Put them on toast for breakfast so to the store I go to get other flavors. Pleasantly surprised!

I love sardines. I buy them boneless in tomato sauce, spread them on toast and top them with pickled jalapeños. ..:)

Oh, I will have to look for this. I don't mind the taste of sardines but have texture issues with the bones. I didn't know they sold them boneless.

Oh yeah, I couldn't eat them with the bones in. When I was little, I very clearly remember my mum spreading them into her toast, spines and all and crunching her way through them. Ugh :#:#
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has tinned farm raised smoked trout in canola oil, in a can about the size of a small sardine can. 90 calories for 2 oz (56 grams) drained. I love sardines, but I like this trout for a change. A bit lighter and less fishy.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oh yeah, I couldn't eat them with the bones in. When I was little, I very clearly remember my mum spreading them into her toast, spines and all and crunching her way through them. Ugh :#:#

spoilered because i'm not that kind of person
    that was the only thing that made saturday-night 'things on toast' supper tolerable after mass every week - getting to stretch out those little sardine spines like a necklace and then crunch them up.

i never could handle fish, apart from anchovies and pickled herrings which are both so violently flavoured they don't taste like fish. but as an adult i've found a weird pocket in that that allows me to be okay with the oilier types like salmon so long as they're canned and i don't live on them.

i just went and broke out one of the flat tins of sardines in water that i bought as an 'in case the apocaplypse comes' protein source. can see why people are advocating things like lemon and onion and pepper with them, to cut into the taste, but they were okay. don't think i could take a whole tin just on its own. i could actually see mashing them into tuna to soften the dryness a bit. canned tuna is something i can't see eating even in the apocalypse.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    I actually liked the bones, which is what surprises me the most.
  • Snowdusk
    Snowdusk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I usually love fishy stuff, and I realllly wanted to like sardines but they're just poop in my mouth
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Snowdusk wrote: »
    I usually love fishy stuff, and I realllly wanted to like sardines but they're just poop in my mouth

Lol!!!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Tinned smoked oysters on crackers turned out to be really good. They were in oil though, I wonder how many calories... Anyway, it was years ago but this thread makes me want to go find some. But I don’t think I’ve tried sardines yet. Maybe I’ll put them in the shopping list this week.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    can i just say... kudos on a board still going about sardines without there being an argument inside that keeps the board being bumped lol..
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I remember eating sardines in a mustard sauce; haven't had them in years...now I want some. LOL
  • dsboohead
    Options
    can i just say... kudos on a board still going about sardines without there being an argument inside that keeps the board being bumped lol..

Obviously sardines have been underestimated!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    I remember eating sardines in a mustard sauce; haven't had them in years...now I want some. LOL

I've been craving them like mad. Wtf.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Ok sooo I didn’t eat sardines today but I did eat the smoked oysters today. Lol. But I WILL try the sardines.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Ok sooo I didn’t eat sardines today but I did eat the smoked oysters today. Lol. But I WILL try the sardines.

Smoked oysters are yummy!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Herring/kippers and sardines also have a lot less mercury than tuna. I grew up eating sardines and herring and they're a great protein source -- unfortunately, the meds I'm on make me prone to gout attacks so I have to limit my intake.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Herring/kippers and sardines also have a lot less mercury than tuna. I grew up eating sardines and herring and they're a great protein source -- unfortunately, the meds I'm on make me prone to gout attacks so I have to limit my intake.

I love kippers with lots of butter and toast for breakfast...never tried herring. I'll have to put it on my to do list :)