Thoughts on fasting and weight loss? How to start

Options
Izabellesdance
Izabellesdance Posts: 20 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I would love to start fasting and see if this would work for me. Any advice on how to get started? How long I should fast at first . What I should be eating while I can eat. Please keep in mind, I am a 41 year old woman and have been overweight my whole life. I've tried so many diets and stopped and started new things. My estrogen levels are high and I was also told I carry weight around my stomach because of my cortisol levels. My stomach has always been flat but the rest of me has always been very thick. Within the last 6 years I have now gained weight in my stomach. I was told it was due to stress. I tried a low carb keto diet a few times and about 7 years ago I did lose 30 lb on one. When I stopped the low-carb I gained all back plus more. Within the year I went from 180 to 215 again. I'm done with the yo-yo. I have not worked out for the last year because my back has been bad and my doctor has told me to take it easy with the exercise. Not only my back but my shoulder and my knees. Been hard to start back up after stopping for a year. Before 2017 I worked out for 4 years straight and did not lose a pound. My eating was not ideal but it wasn't bad either. I pretty much ate when I was hungry and it was pretty clean. I do love to eat but I have watched my calories and still had a hard time losing weight. I want to try fasting but I don't want to disappoint myself again. Help! Feeling very discouraged!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking...

There are no inherent benefits to fasting. i.e. - stress and hormones and whatever else don't cause someone to gain weight... excess calories do. Some people fast because it lines up well with their normal eating habits/tendencies. Others do it because it offers that little bit of structure they want to help stay on track with their overall intake.

But ultimately, you still have to manage your diet/intake.

While I don't want to dismiss hormones and stress and all the rest, it's not something I would focus on. And blaming those things for weight gain is, IMO, avoiding accountability.

There's a lot going on in your post. I'd start with a reasonable calorie goal, a reasonable balance of carbs, fats and protein... and see how that goes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Well if you have no coping tools for your stress, start there.

Fasting isn't a miracle weight-loss tool. When I try fasting I get so hungry I tend to over-eat. Steady healthy nutrition is the way to go. Eat a little less than what your body needs to do its daily work and you will burn fat. Simple.

Start by logging all your food and look at your food diary and make small changes.

Take a long walk outdoors. It will help you lose weight and it's good for stress.
  • Izabellesdance
    Options
    Thanks! I do know that hormones play a huge part in why I'm not losing weight. I used to have PCOS but changed my eating and got rid of it. It may be back but I'll need to get to a doctor to find out. I've done a 1500 calorie with a balance of carbs fats and protein for years at a time. A endocrinologist had told me that didn't work because of my PCOS. That's one readon why I did the low carb and it helped with my hormone levels. I understand that I do have a lot going on. I do need to make time to log again. Sometimes we can lose track even though we think we eat healthy. I am aware and I'm trying to be accountable. I do love to eat and that's why I was thinking about fasting. At least during that time I won't eat. Seems like the more I put in my mouth, the more I want to put in my mouth LOL Long walks sound great :-) I've been thinking about that. I will start with logging again and walking. I appreciate the positive advice :-)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would love to start fasting and see if this would work for me. Any advice on how to get started? How long I should fast at first . What I should be eating while I can eat. Please keep in mind, I am a 41 year old woman and have been overweight my whole life. I've tried so many diets and stopped and started new things. My estrogen levels are high and I was also told I carry weight around my stomach because of my cortisol levels. My stomach has always been flat but the rest of me has always been very thick. Within the last 6 years I have now gained weight in my stomach. I was told it was due to stress. I tried a low carb keto diet a few times and about 7 years ago I did lose 30 lb on one. When I stopped the low-carb I gained all back plus more. Within the year I went from 180 to 215 again. I'm done with the yo-yo. I have not worked out for the last year because my back has been bad and my doctor has told me to take it easy with the exercise. Not only my back but my shoulder and my knees. Been hard to start back up after stopping for a year. Before 2017 I worked out for 4 years straight and did not lose a pound. My eating was not ideal but it wasn't bad either. I pretty much ate when I was hungry and it was pretty clean. I do love to eat but I have watched my calories and still had a hard time losing weight. I want to try fasting but I don't want to disappoint myself again. Help! Feeling very discouraged!

You definitely have a lot going on. Honestly I would not recommend fasting for you at the moment. (And I am a big fan of it) Fasting isn't a magic bullet, and you have too many other issues to deal with first. Hormones can make things very difficult, so getting a handle on your stress is something you should work on. This probably carries over into your sleeping habits too.
    Unfortunately, doctors often give the easiest advise, which usually isn't the best advice when it comes to exercise. Not exercising because of a bad back or other physical issue isn't going to make it get better or stronger.(unless it's a specific acute injury that needs rest) I'd recommend seeing a good physical therapist or established personal trainer that can at least get you moving and doing some exercises that will help.
    Keep a reasonable plan, pick a calorie intake that puts you at a moderate deficit, try that for at least 3-4 weeks before adjusting up/down depending on weight trend and hunger/sustainability.
  • Izabellesdance
    Options
    Okay. I guess fasting isn't great for me at this point. If I fast by accident , I find myself eating a lot last during the day because of time . That's why I even considered it . Love the idea of going back to the exercise. You're right it's not going to make it better or stronger if I don't. I need it for mind and body because fact is, when I worked out, I felt good regardless of the fact that I was overweight. I will start with the walking again and get back on the elliptical and maybe odd some kickboxing and dancing next week. My faves
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    When I stopped the low-carb I gained all back plus more. Within the year I went from 180 to 215 again. I'm done with the yo-yo. ... Been hard to start back up after stopping for a year. ... I want to try fasting but I don't want to disappoint myself again. Help! Feeling very discouraged!

Ask yourself this: if you've lost before and know you can lose the weight, but your main problem is keeping the weight off, how is fasting going to help you maintain at your lower weight?

You don't need to exercise to lose weight, and you don't need to keep trying new things to find the "one right solution" that will work. The problem likely isn't the technique you're using, it's part your physical issues and the rest is behavioral.
    I do love to eat and that's why I was thinking about fasting. At least during that time I won't eat. Seems like the more I put in my mouth, the more I want to put in my mouth LOL

That's the real problem, I think. I find I tend to snack in the evening - so I started having a hearty breakfast, and a couple of protein-filled snacks during the day but no lunch, then a reasonable dinner. That leaves me with a few hundred calories which I typically spend on a protein smoothie in the evening, and another snack which fills me up so I'm not nibbling all evening.

Part of it for me is attending to my feelings of hunger and satiety, and honoring them. Don't let myself get ravenously hungry, and eat smaller portions with the knowledge that I can have some more if I still want it (or eat something else), but I wait 20-30 minutes so my brain catches up with my digestive system. I pay attention to my level of hunger after eating: last night, after my evening protein smoothie, I felt pleasantly full as though I'd had a full meal. If I STILL want something at that point even when I'm feeling full, the problem is obviously in my head -- I'm not eating because I'm hungry or particularly want the food, I'm eating because I'm bored, stressed out, lonely, angry, etc. None of those are good reasons for me to be feeding my face.

For the behavioral part, I suggest getting a copy of "The Beck Diet Solution" by Judith Beck (she also has a workbook: both are available on Amazon). Also read her daughter's website here - it provides a lot of good tips for success:

https://beckdietsolution.wordpress.com

The Beck Diet Solution is a cognitive-behavioral solution. Judith Beck is the daughter of Aaron Beck, the psychologist who is sometimes called the father of cognitive behavioral therapy. You can read more about CBT here if you'd like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

• Izabellesdance
    Options
    Thank you! Will def check this out!