Stupid question

Options
Ok so this is kind of a stupid question but I just need to make sure I’m not doing this wrong....so when I do spin class I am using a heart rate monitor and a report gets sent to me with all the stats from the session....it gives me total kcal...Can I manually add exercise and use that same number for calories burned...so today it was 518....

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes...
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Check Apps and see if you can have it automatically upload.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes that's the way your calorie goal is set. You do more you get to eat more.
  • CindyA2268
    CindyA2268 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Kind of have the same question myself. I use an apple watch and is suppose to be syncing with the app but not sure it really is doing so accurately.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    CindyA2268 wrote: »
    Kind of have the same question myself. I use an apple watch and is suppose to be syncing with the app but not sure it really is doing so accurately.

Accuracy and whether it is syncing are two different questions.

The only way to tell on the accuracy is to compare, over 6-8 weeks, your actual weight loss compared to what the numbers would suggest. If you lose as the numbers suggest, then you are good. Lose more, than eat back more exercise calories. Lose less, eat less of them.

Trouble is, you really can't test the "accuracy" of a fitness tracker, but you just kind of have to play with it based on the result. You could be losing less with a tracker that is spot on, but your food tracking is off and there is no real way to separate the two.

You just have to try it for a while and see what the real world results are. I know in my case, I can trust my tracker numbers because I lose close to predicted. Just means the inaccuracies are cancelling each other out and I can keep doing what I'm doing.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    CindyA2268 wrote: »

The general consensus (and my personal experience) is that Apple's tracking is on the conservative side, so you'd be pretty safe eating back 75-100% of the estimated calories burned, then adjusting after a couple of months depending on your data.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    At around 150 pounds Apple Watch gives me a bit less than 1/100 calories per steps. So 10,000 steps < 100 calories.

Any workout registered by the Apple Watch that day will cancel all step calories earned. (A sync bug I assume)

Workouts I find to be slightly overinflated in calorie burn estimates from Apple Watch. Say like 75% what it estimates.