Have you done the warrior dash or tough mudder?

Options
I am looking into training for both of these and would like some insight from anyone who knows first hand experience of going through the insanity. I have read a lot about the tough mudder on the site but I always like hearing peoples experience. Hope to hear back from someone! Thanks :)

Replies

• minxblack
    Options
    Please keep me in the loop as I am interested once I hit my goal weight
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just did the Warrior Dash last weekend and I loved every minute of it. It was so much fun and not at all as hard as I thought it would be. There was lots of climbing so good upper body strength is definitely a plus. I'm interested in the Tough Mudder as well, so I hope more people answer you!! :smile:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I am sooooooooo far from my goal weight, but I am signed up for Warrior Dash in September. My goal for it is just to finish! I will try every obstacle, and if I can't do it, I'll move on. I signed up in an effort to push myself and have a mini goal to work towards.
    *I'm secretly more than a little scared!*
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm looking to do the Warrior Dash in 2012. Looking for tips as well
  • LoveLiveLift
    Options
    I am sooooooooo far from my goal weight, but I am signed up for Warrior Dash in September. My goal for it is just to finish! I will try every obstacle, and if I can't do it, I'll move on. I signed up in an effort to push myself and have a mini goal to work towards.
    *I'm secretly more than a little scared!*

You can do it!! You're going to have a blast!!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for the colorado one August 20. I am excited. It's only the second year here and the people I have talked to said it is kinda hard to race because there are so many crowds you end up waiting for people at the obstacles because you don't want to trample them. I am doing couch to 5k and a workout that incorporates weights and cardio.
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    I just did the Warrior Dash last weekend and I loved every minute of it. It was so much fun and not at all as hard as I thought it would be. There was lots of climbing so good upper body strength is definitely a plus. I'm interested in the Tough Mudder as well, so I hope more people answer you!! :smile:

Congrats girl! I think it looks really hard, and the tough mudder looks insane haha. But it wouldn't be so sought after if it wasn't exceptionally hard, that's the reason to train! Thanks for your info!! You can def. do the tough mudder! You're a tough cookie if you can get through the warrior dash :)
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    I am signed up for the colorado one August 20. I am excited. It's only the second year here and the people I have talked to said it is kinda hard to race because there are so many crowds you end up waiting for people at the obstacles because you don't want to trample them. I am doing couch to 5k and a workout that incorporates weights and cardio.

Wow, good luck girl!! Thats a great goal to have. I keep hearing of the couch to 5k, what exactly is that?
  • LoveLiveLift
    Options

The crowds and waiting at the obstacles is true. I did the MI one and it was a pretty narrow trail, so you end up getting caught by others ahead of you until you can find a spot to pass. If you're interested in getting a good time then I would say to line up at the front of the pack. My sister and I were in the middle, but we were just running it for the experience more than time. I will say too that I've never run a race that's had a more friendly and fun group of people.
  • bris3jbt
    bris3jbt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was just a spectator for my friends who did Tough Mudder two weeks ago. It looked awesome. After seeing them do it, I am now training to do it next year. It is more about helping people and sticking with your group than really trying to get a good race time. Everyone helps everyone else out at the obstacles. It defiantly looked tough but also a lot of fun. Even though it's 10 miles, you do have to stand around and wait at the obstacles for other people and you don't have to run the whole time.
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    What are the details of the fire and live wires and ice diving? I'm trying to get a big picture of what you have to do.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options

Wow, good luck girl!! Thats a great goal to have. I keep hearing of the couch to 5k, what exactly is that?
    It's a program to get to where you run 5k, it's a 10-week program. I did it last year but I didn't keep up with the running so I am back to week 6 here:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • bris3jbt
    bris3jbt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The live wire is the last thing they have you do. You have to run through mud and through all these wires. Some of them are live. My friend got zapped by a live wire and it made her fall down in the mud. She said it was the worst pain she felt. For the fire exercise it's just a lot of smoke. So, while you're running you are inhaling the smoke which makes it hard to breath. The Ice water is where they are literally putting ice in the water the entire time while you swim through it.
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for Warrior Dash in October in northern California. I'm doing p90X and will start C25K again in Sept. to prepare.
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    The live wire is the last thing they have you do. You have to run through mud and through all these wires. Some of them are live. My friend got zapped by a live wire and it made her fall down in the mud. She said it was the worst pain she felt. For the fire exercise it's just a lot of smoke. So, while you're running you are inhaling the smoke which makes it hard to breath. The Ice water is where they are literally putting ice in the water the entire time while you swim through it.

Wow, that's intense. Thank you so much, I keep researching it but haven't found the answers I was really looking for.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wow, and I thought I was a badass for signing up for a Down & Dirty Mud Run in October. :embarassed: These two you mention sound really intense! Anyway, we all have to start somewhere, and this is my first time trying anything like this. I'm nervous but excited!
  • Baker0821
    Options
    AHHHHH!!!!! My husband, brother and I are signed up for a Spartan race in March!!! I'm so dang excited about it! I'm pretty nervous and need to work on my upper body strength, like, majorly! :) good luck!
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    Wow, and I thought I was a badass for signing up for a Down & Dirty Mud Run in October. :embarassed: These two you mention sound really intense! Anyway, we all have to start somewhere, and this is my first time trying anything like this. I'm nervous but excited!

You are right, it doesn't matter what you are doing, just that you are doing something. I was just reading this guys blog asking what the tough mudder was and saying that people who do it are dumb because they think they are super athletic and really are not...it really made me mad. I'm sure he hasn't ran a day in his life or taken on a challenge himself.

It's just about pushing yourself mentally and physically. Good luck on your run, I haven't heard of that one but I am sure it will be a blast and you will become so much stronger! :)
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    AHHHHH!!!!! My husband, brother and I are signed up for a Spartan race in March!!! I'm so dang excited about it! I'm pretty nervous and need to work on my upper body strength, like, majorly! :) good luck!

Ohhh good luck!!! :) I dont know much about the spartan race, so ill have to read about it. I'd be nervous too, but more excited!! hehe, have fun preparing!
  • Baker0821
    Options

Ohhh good luck!!! :) I dont know much about the spartan race, so ill have to read about it. I'd be nervous too, but more excited!! hehe, have fun preparing!

Here is the website http://www.spartanrace.com/ I think it looks pretty awesome! I'm super excited!