Meal Prepping Salads?

Options
I was wanting to meal prep salads for the week and I've tried but by the end of the week my salad wasn't looking so appealing anymore! I just find it so much easier to reach in and grab and I found it easier that way I didn't talk myself out of eating it. Does anyone have any tips on how to prep salads without it going bad? Or if I should just by single salads (which is more expensive)

Thank you!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer salads to be more fresh, so I only prep a couple of days at a time. Dressings aren't added until it's time to eat them. Really wet ingredients (cut tomato, juicy cucumber etc) I leave separate too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a bag of leaf, a cucumber, tomatoes etc will last all week individually. i prep my breakfast and lunch the night before.

you don't need to buy an individual salad every day.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    i buy the 50/50 spring mix, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, couple croutons for crunch. put it together the night before with a measured container of dressing and a baggie with 2 out of 3 proteins.( cheese, egg and or grilled chicken). at lunch i put everything together, put the lid on and shake the crap out of it. . yummy. my favs are ranch with salsa added with egg and mexican cheese blend or shredded parmesan with ceasar and grilled chicken strips.
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you can stomach it I have found that Kale makes a good salad green and is more durable than other leaves. I use Kale, broccoli florets, carrots, and red cabbage for my salad base and then in separate baggies i keep the moist stuff like cucumber and tomato to mix in when I am ready to eat the salad.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What's in your salad and how much time do you have in the morning-of? I use a food scale, so it's very easy to zero-out ingredients. I assemble day-of with most things having already been chopped. Tupperware on scale, zero, add 100 g of spinach, zero-out, add 50 g carrots, zero out... etc.
  • Mrs181
    Mrs181 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I prep my salads weekly with no issues. I throw the heavy stuff like tomatoes on the bottom, followed by carrots and other veggies, and throw the lettuce/spring mix on top. I put dressing in little 2oz disposable containers and any chicken/proteins in a Ziplock bag.
  • Kelly_2013
    Kelly_2013 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've been using a spring mix that i put in a container separated with cheese cubes, and then have the dressing on the side. I usually just put the salad from the container into the smaller container I am using to seperate. I did try to do this for Mon-Fri so maybe even if I just use 2-3 days in advance? I can def. try Kale by itself to see if that helps! Thank you all for the tips!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Kelly_2013 wrote: »
    I've been using a spring mix that i put in a container separated with cheese cubes, and then have the dressing on the side. I usually just put the salad from the container into the smaller container I am using to seperate. I did try to do this for Mon-Fri so maybe even if I just use 2-3 days in advance? I can def. try Kale by itself to see if that helps! Thank you all for the tips!

If my salad was just lettuce and cheese cubes, I wouldn't find it appetizing either, even if it was fresh... but if that's all you like in it, than okie doke.

But really, prep each part individually and put in separate tupperwares. So chop all your veggies and separate - lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, bell peppers, carrots, celery etc etc. Then, in the morning you can quickly assemble everything. I have also found it works better if the wet/heavy stuff goes in the bottom of the container. So tomato, cucumber, chickpeas in first. Then proteins (chicken, turkey, steak, eggs), then lettuce. Croutons go in last or on the side.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You can prep the stuff that goes with the lettuce and put that in containers and then it only takes a few moments to put it together. I do cucumber carrot and tomato all in one container with a little red wine vinegar to keep if fresh (kind of pickled but not really)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If the issue is boxed lettuce mix getting wilted and soggy, put a folded paper towel in the top of the container and it will keep condensation from spoiling the lettuce.

Prepping a box of sturdy vegetables to add to your salad would up the nutrients and satisfaction - fresh green beans, broccoli, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, different colored small sweet peppers, grab a handful and add at the last minute.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Kelly_2013 wrote: »
    I was wanting to meal prep salads for the week and I've tried but by the end of the week my salad wasn't looking so appealing anymore! I just find it so much easier to reach in and grab and I found it easier that way I didn't talk myself out of eating it. Does anyone have any tips on how to prep salads without it going bad? Or if I should just by single salads (which is more expensive)

Thank you!

I'm not a meal prepper, but I do some stuff ahead of time that ends up in salads.
    • When I bring home beets I immediately roast them in foil. After they cool I store them in the fridge, still in the foil.
    • Sometimes roast garlic, red peppers, and broccoli ahead of time.
    • Ditto carmelized onion.
    • Blanch green beans, carrots, etc.
    • Can't imagine making croutons without saving some for later in the week.
    • Usually wash enough lettuce for two or three salads.
    • Pit olives or crack and crush nuts for a few.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Salads don't really need lettuce. I like cucumber/chickpea/tomato and black bean/corn/avocado/cilantro, for example.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mason jar salads? I find they tend to stay fresher longer in the jar. Lots of recipes on Pinterest.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Yup. Mason jar salads. I find they tend to stay fresher longer in the jar.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Dude yes. Mason jar salads are amazing.

By carefully layering your ingredients, your salads will stay fresh for at least 3-4 days in the fridge.

Pour the salad dressing in first, then fresh vegetables/fruit (like tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, etc.), then cheeses, then nuts, then pack the rest of the jar with your lettuce or spinach. Fold a single sheet of paper towel into a little square to sit on top of the lettuce. Then seal up nice and tight. When ready to eat, dump contents into a bowl and enjoy.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am not a salad eater but I make them for my husband to bring for lunch. I cut up enough vegetables and lettuce to last a few days and make the protein for the week on Sunday. I store everything individually and assemble them in the morning. I have small containers that I put the dressing in so that he can pour it on when he's ready to eat. On Wednesday night I do it all over again for Thursday and Friday.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You could also try doing quinoa salads. There is one I tried where it is a sweet potato, lentil and pepper salad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I prefer my salads fresh. I also couldn't imagine eating a salad every day. I also don't meal prep anything for the week...I put together my breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the next day when I get home from work. Often I will have leftovers of whatever I make for dinner, so that serves as my lunch the next day.