Beer

Options
I love drinking beer, but it is so high in calories any suggestions? I drink about two glasses a day!

Replies

• beth2662
    beth2662 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love drinking beer, but it is so high in calories any suggestions? I drink about two glasses a day!
  • rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth!

Ahhhhh. A fellow beer lover. I SO feel where you're coming from! And what's worse, I love dark beer. Really dark, dense porters. These babies pack in about 220 cals apiece compared to a regular domestic beer at about 175. I REFUSE to drink light beer. You know how some people will suggest a nonfat version of something that you'd rather die than eat? That's me with light beer. So I am the type of person that would rather work through my day planning for the 450 calorie expenditure. It's worth it to me to have what I really want....the REAL DEAL!! Something to look forward to with no guilt. -R
  • MG1373
    MG1373 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was reading this post - it really is like a universal question I think. But I'm left wondering - isn't alcohol to be avoided completely when trying to lose weight?
    Is it ok to save up on food calories and expend them on alcohol or beer that have only empty calories?
    Some light on this would really help...
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the same darn question. Can you not use the amount of calories in food and have a drink instead? What is the better between beer, wine or a shot of liquor? calorie wise?
  • hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sure, you'd be better off eating 220 calories worth of vegetebles rather than drinking 220 "empty" calories on a pint of stout, but calories are calories. There is no reason you can't drink a beer or two and still lose weight, as long as you meet your calorie goals for the day/week/month.

On that note, Michelob Ultra Amber actually isn't too bad...
  • hjcopeland
    Options
    It depends on what you mix the liquor with - diet coke is good with rum and is almost always available.

Here is an interesting article on the subject: http://diet.ivillage.com/issues/isnacks/0,,2skj,00.html
  • hjcopeland
    Options
    Here is a good rough estimate:

12 oz beer = 150 calories
    12 oz lite beer = 110 calories
    5 oz wine = 90 calories
    1 1/2 oz liquor = 90 calories (with 6 oz carbonated drink mix add another 75 calories)
  • melb
    melb Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you everyone for this information. I am a fellow beer lover and had to cut back and light beer really doesn't do it for me.
  • rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In response to Meg:

While I definately think you are doing your body and overall health a disservice to have a large portion of your caloric intake be alcohol, I do think that it's worth it to to cut back on food calories on the days you want a couple of drinks so that you can have the drink you want. In my case, dark beer hits the spot, and I'd rather have no beer than a light beer.

I totally disagree that alcohol is an absolute no-no while trying to lose weight. But cutting back on quantity/number of days you drink means more food (mmmmmm!) and better nutrition for the bod. Plus, because I like clear booze (vodka) with club soda and a slice of lemon, I know I'm not adding extra sugar into the system which I take very seriously.

A suggestion: I encourage anyone who likes mixed drinks (hard alchohol) to treat yourself to the REALLY good stuff! Since you're cutting back on overall intake, why not make it a real treat when you do have it? It makes it special!
  • alymarest
    alymarest Posts: 115
    Options
    If i want to watch out for too much calories i drink Michelob Ultra Light it is supposed to be the lowest calorie beer.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I tried Bud Select and Mich Ultra and then I realized the calories are the same as a regular light beer, but they have fewer carbs. I don't think they taste as good so I went back to just light beer.

But if you drink a good red wine you get some nice antioxidants thrown in there too! (maybe just me justifying it???!!!)
  • kenstrange
    kenstrange Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and keeping it off is all about making lifestyle changes that you can live with while having compromise. In November, I made some serious life changes starting with eating better and losing weight. I still enjoy a couple of beers (addicted to craft beer), but compromise by making sure that I have enough calories left in my meal plan and that I work out. I refuse to only eat steamed veggies and baked chicken. Everything in moderation. Does this approach work? You bet it does! You just have to account for everything you put in your body and offset it by burning more than you intake. I've lost over 25 pounds so far and am on track to loose another 20. I understand that I could loose the weight quicker and be healthier without tasty tasty beer, but I choose to have a lifestyle that is reasonable to me.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I didn't track calories when I was a heavy drinker. I bet I would drink between 2,700 and 3,600 calories on an average weekend.
  • codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    beth2662 wrote: »

You have to plan for the expenditure. Like you, I refuse to drink water with alcohol in it. I want real beer. I brew my own, so beer is just a part of my intake. It is not too bad through the week, since exercise offers the opportunity to work off some extra calories. However, the weekends can be a little rough. What is currently working for me is to both track everything I eat and to fast one and a half days a week. Tuesdays I don't eat - water and a little coffee and tea only. Thursdays I don't eat until suppertime. I find that fasting helps with both intake and impulse. If you can't/won't fast (and some people can't), then you have to find a different method.

Sadly, there are no magic programs or pills. We each have to find a method and eating plan that works for us.