Best App

I'm kind of disappointed that MyFitnessPal doesn't try to give us polywogs some direction regarding calorie count for pushing steel.
Do any of you have an app recommendation? I'd like to track this metric as accurately as possible.
PolarBearBob

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    It is listed under cardio. I believe the numbers are inflated. Since you burn so little I don't even bother counting them.
  • PolarBearBob
    PolarBearBob Posts: 17 Member
    Hello dewd2
    I realized it's not a lot in certain circumstances but as hard as I'm working and sweating it's got to count for something. I'm already using the numbers off my NordicTrack recumbent stationary bike because MyFitnessPal seemed a little generous.
    Once I complete an entire circuit of steel my *kitten* is dragging my tracks out. I realize I'm fat and sweaty but there are calories being burned here.
    PBB
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    The metric for lifting would be extremely hard to calculate since so many variables can go into it. Honestly your best bet for calorie burn during lifting is wearing a heart rate monitor (watch or chest strap) and going with that.
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    i use sometimes a cardio monitor through the entire training, i found that weightlifting for 20 mins burns me 260~290 calories (surprisingly close to mfp) and when i do HIIT it burns 350~380 calories in 12 minutes (not close in mfp options).
    so it really depends for everyone, your training program and your physical condition, and yes i know this method is still inaccurate.
  • PolarBearBob
    I wish there were a way to log this into MFP, Even a blank box would be fin.
    PBB
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited December 2017
    Log it (entire duration of your workout) as "strength training" under the cardiovascular part of your diary.
    It's based on doing regular style of strength training with 2 - 4 minutes rest between lifts. It gives you a number based on the assumed METS for the exercise and your weight.

In reality the calorie burn is in relation to the weight lifted so it's far from a perfect measure but the number is small and should be reasonable for most.

There's also options for circuit training and calisthenic for example.

@Azercord @dimaslopes
    Absolutely do not use a heart rate monitor for estimating strength training calorie burns - it's not an aerobic exercise and HR is no indicator of actual calorie burn.
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    @sijomial i know that is why i said it was inaccurate, i only do this when i swap my training, but at least it gives me a minimum value and doing lifting before cardio also helps in estimating the numbers

i know that there is no easy way for this since your muscle size, soreness etc affects the value and if your muscle size and resistance can change over time so it does the calorie burn in anaerobic exercise. Probably tracking the blood with many tests after exercise is the most precise way but only high end athletes need this...so i can get along with a chest monitor :expressionless:
  • PolarBearBob
    Thanks, my friends, it's hard to keep up when everything is so new. I'm in such bad shape today and want to be in acceptable shape by tomorrow. The reality is it feels like I'm in prison.
    Only thing I can do is focus on my program and not get discouraged.
    All good things take time and commitment.
    PBB