Throwing out junk food; yay or nay?

13»

Replies

  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    I think I reached a point where my goals were much more important to me than eating some of those foods. I do still buy things like chips and sweets (stocked up on candy after Halloween) but at this point in my journey (2.5 years) I know I can be responsible to only eat it sometimes. We also keep a ton of ice cream in the house... I haven't had any of it in going on 2 months. Not because I can't but because I haven't wanted any.

    Initially it did help me to keep less junk in the house and the junk I did keep I would pre-portion into serving sizes in little ziplocs and if I wanted it I would only eat one.
  • awingo5193
    awingo5193 Posts: 14 Member
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    I think I reached a point where my goals were much more important to me than eating some of those foods. I do still buy things like chips and sweets (stocked up on candy after Halloween) but at this point in my journey (2.5 years) I know I can be responsible to only eat it sometimes. We also keep a ton of ice cream in the house... I haven't had any of it in going on 2 months. Not because I can't but because I haven't wanted any.

    Initially it did help me to keep less junk in the house and the junk I did keep I would pre-portion into serving sizes in little ziplocs and if I wanted it I would only eat one.

    2.5 years is an awesome amount of time to stay dedicated! :)
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    awingo5193 wrote: »
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    I think I reached a point where my goals were much more important to me than eating some of those foods. I do still buy things like chips and sweets (stocked up on candy after Halloween) but at this point in my journey (2.5 years) I know I can be responsible to only eat it sometimes. We also keep a ton of ice cream in the house... I haven't had any of it in going on 2 months. Not because I can't but because I haven't wanted any.

    Initially it did help me to keep less junk in the house and the junk I did keep I would pre-portion into serving sizes in little ziplocs and if I wanted it I would only eat one.

    2.5 years is an awesome amount of time to stay dedicated! :)

    Thanks! It honestly doesn't feel like it's been that long at all!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    keep the scooby doo graham sticks out of my house or i'll lose my frikkin mind
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 210 Member
    I don't keep gateway foods, like potato chips, in the house because I can't resist them. If I have a calorie deficit, I'll buy a small portion and eat it immediately. If I can't get a small portion I'll eat what I'm allowed and put the rest in the garbage. My husband is very supportive and only buys snacks that I don't like so I'm not tempted by them. I had to resort to these desperate measures because I basically have little control over my gateway foods! Someday I hope to be the kind of eater who just takes a couple of potato chips and forgets the rest of the bag in the cupboard. I suspect that is about as likely as pigs flying.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    I am a little in the middle on this one. Most snacks I was able to keep with me, but the foods or drinks I knew I would eat just because they are there had to go. Such as lasagna. If I see lasagna I am going to eat all of it. Italian ice is one of the junk foods I am going to want often or want if I see it, but I do not have a strong urge to eat all of it. Because I can put the Italian ice down I kept it in my freezer. Something else I did was to stop buying the family size of chips or cereals. For a while, chips were something I would not want often, but when I did the whole bag was going down. So I started purchasing smaller bags. Doing this helped me lose weight slowly over time and now I can't even finish a small bag of chips.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 159 Member
    I did a pantry clean out and got rid of all my pasta - donated
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,456 Member
    JRSINAZ wrote: »
    I did a pantry clean out and got rid of all my pasta - donated

    What's wrong with pasta?
  • Yay if you can't control how you eat it. Nay if you can. For me personally it is a yay.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,970 Member
    If you don't buy any, you don't have to throw any out.