Scared to Work Out! Help.

Options
Hey guys!

I got mononucleosis the first time I did p90x (after being an inactive lazy person). I felt good about the program and was on day 21 when I found out I was getting tired because of mono (which I caught from working out too hard too fast) - I didn't even know that was possible.

So now, 7 years later, I am working out daily for the first time in years (running/walking combo 30 minutes per day with C25K app), but I am starting to get afraid that I will get sick from pushing myself!

I don't feel like I am quote 'overdoing my workouts', I feel good after and not really sore the next day. But I am not sure if I should be worried and try to hold back (which also feels counterproductive).

Advice? Anyone been in a similar situation or state of mind?

Thank you.

p.s. - I'm looking for friends!

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Well my first thought would be the first time did you try to do to much to fast. like cut calories extremely and I know P90X can be challenging.

I have gotten the P90 and P90X dvd's and when i tried P90X the first time I seriously strained my biceps and had to quit.

I am with you on the MONO thing I thought that was caught when you well kissed someone that had it and the like. IE drank from the same glass etc.

You can add me if you like
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    C25k is 3 days a week, so that's probably fine as a starting point.
  • DivaDreamer77
    DivaDreamer77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I was doing it daily. 30 minutes on the treadmill per day. It feels good to be active.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I was doing it daily. 30 minutes on the treadmill per day. It feels good to be active.

The rest days are extremely important to a program like C25K. Don’t skip them.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

That's a bad idea. There are rest days for a reason.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I discovered a new disease today. so much to learn..
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are going to follow a program, follow the program. You're not doing C25k if you are running every day.
  • DivaDreamer77
    DivaDreamer77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm not following the program. I'm using c25k to learn how to run. I've never been an active person. It just helps me have something to push for. Otherwise I feel I'm running aimlessly, and that doesn't work for me. I need goals!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I'm not following the program. I'm using c25k to learn how to run. I've never been an active person. It just helps me have something to push for. Otherwise I feel I'm running aimlessly, and that doesn't work for me. I need goals!

C25K teaches you to run without injuring yourself. Overdo it and you will pay. It will sneak up on you. Trust me - been there, done that.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

So if you're not an active person why do you think going from nothing to running every day is a good idea?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    How do you do c25K without following the program? If you aren't following the program, then you aren't doing c25K. You're doing something else. And in your first post you asked for advice , i think everyone would agree the best advice is to follow a program.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    It just helps me have something to push for. Otherwise I feel I'm running aimlessly, and that doesn't work for me. I need goals!

um, okay then. to take this back to what you said in your first post: taking recovery time is not counterproductive, IF one of your goals is to not get yourself sick by going 'too hard too fast'.

but it's about that. i think you need to make up your own mind which of the two things you want. you come across as a little conflicted, to me.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    as others said, mono is a virus - you do not catch it from working out - you really have nothing to worry about.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    It just helps me have something to push for. Otherwise I feel I'm running aimlessly, and that doesn't work for me. I need goals!

um, okay then. to take this back to what you said in your first post: taking recovery time is not counterproductive, IF one of your goals is to not get yourself sick by going 'too hard too fast'.

but it's about that. i think you need to make up your own mind which of the two things you want. you come across as a little conflicted, to me.

Agree. Having goals is great but be smart how you go about achieving them. If you want to protect yourself from catching contagious illnesses like mono, then practice good hand washing routines and take enough rest days between workouts. It's totally counterproductive to run yourself down, making yourself more vulnerable to illness. If you want active rest days go for a walk or do some gentle yoga.

Contagious illnesses are everywhere at this time of the year. If you go out in public you are going to be exposed to them.