Do you remember things that people tell you?

Options

Replies

• highwood1968
    highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Here is an example I was talking to a work friend yesterday and talking about popping in at lunch to visit my sister as her pet passed away the night before and she was upset understandably...so after lunch I was talking to this girl again and she did not say hey how did it go, she said nothing so towards the end of our conversation I commented that I stopped by to see my sister at lunch and she was like how come??? WTF??? This was the same conversation in which I once again asked her how her brother was doing as he had some health issues for the past six months and I every couple of months I make a point to see how he is doing.
  • highwood1968
    highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    For example, if a coworker/friend tells you something that is going on in their life (an event, something about their kids/family, etc.) do you remember and ask them about it later to see what happened, how something is going, etc.?

I always find that I will ask/followup with people so how did this or that turn out, what happened, etc. yet I find that it is rarely reciprocated. SOmetimes it is someone in which I have stated something is happening with me or my family and same conversation they talk about what is going on with them or their family and I always will ask them at a later date how everything went yet I don't get the same in return.

Just a little pet peeve of the day!

Keep in mind people are different. I don't like talking about personal things at work or work things outside of work. If you ask me questions, I'll answer to be polite but I wouldn't reciprocate because that's only going to keep that conversation going.

Yes but these are people that like talking about personal stuff about themselves...as I stated I know all about their kids/pets/husband, etc. but they ask me nothing about my life. When I start to say something it seems like all of a sudden we are back on them.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I just like when people are on equal ground with me. Like we remember an equal amount of random things about each other. But if I run into you in target and casually mention that it’s my birthday, don’t be sending me birthday cards for the next three years*. Nobody likes that guy.

*actually happened :expressionless:
  • Big_LittleMomma
    Big_LittleMomma Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I just like when people are on equal ground with me. Like we remember an equal amount of random things about each other. But if I run into you in target and casually mention that it’s my birthday, don’t be sending me birthday cards for the next three years*. Nobody likes that guy.

That is creepy :flushed:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Depends...I've had co-workers in the past who were merely that..co-workers...basically acquaintances...not really "friends" and they would just share TMI relative to our relationship status...this is always awkward and I generally avoid bringing anything up in the future.

My actual friends who I go out and socialize with, etc...absolutely.

Perhaps OP, you are misinterpreting your relationship status with your co-workers.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Made me uncomfy fo sho
  • Big_LittleMomma
    Options

Made me uncomfy fo sho

Did they atleast contain dollars?
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options

Made me uncomfy fo sho

And you didn't even send me any back on my birthday
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    csbnga wrote: »

Made me uncomfy fo sho

I already know what I am getting you for your bday.

I really hope you like roaches.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Made me uncomfy fo sho

Made me uncomfy fo sho

No dollars in the card, so no givesy backsies.
  • Big_LittleMomma
    Options

Made me uncomfy fo sho

Made me uncomfy fo sho

No dollars in the card, so no givesy backsies.

Well that's some *kitten* then.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at remembering little things, but try to remember very large life events that people go through. That said, when you see hundreds and hundreds of people each week it gets difficult. I used to write myself notes, but that got very time consuming too.
  • Nikitazilla
    Nikitazilla Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Depends...I've had co-workers in the past who were merely that..co-workers...basically acquaintances...not really "friends" and they would just share TMI relative to our relationship status...this is always awkward and I generally avoid bringing anything up in the future.

My actual friends who I go out and socialize with, etc...absolutely.

Perhaps OP, you are misinterpreting your relationship status with your co-workers.

^^^^yes, yes,yes .

when someone likes to talk talk talk and over share, I tune it out. I have a job to do and only so many hours to get it done. I once had a coworker who loved to share every thing about herself , and asked me to stop typing and look at her face while she was speaking. She would talk for an hour straight at a time, all day long. With these people, avoidance of conversation is the only way.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I remember everything. But I really don't do small talk, I typically only talk to my friends, so it's not that weird when I bring things back up... lol.

But it's true that most of them don't bring things back up when I mention them.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I forgot what I came in here for? Oh, wait! Okay, continue.