Fitness centers w hydromassage tables and chairs.

Options
What's better traditional massage or hyromassage?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Better for what?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Does Planet Fitness tout hydromassage?
  • 8ritt55
    8ritt55 Posts: 17 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My membership is at Planet Fitness and the Hydromassage beds are great! I'm sure traditional massage would be better as there are muscles the water-pressure can quite reach.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Better for what?

Tbh i wouldn't get a massage at a gym...their training leaves a lot to be desired in many cases.

Not sure the value of the hydromassage stuff, but my son is a licensed massage therapist and he works out of the most expensive gym/healthclub in his city. Actual massages at a gym can be fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    My massage therapist has extensive education and a good brain, not just adept fingers. He listens to what I say about my physical state - tightness, pains, whatever - and uses techniques that address those specific concerns.

As he works, I give him feedback about what's most effective, and over time he develops and uses a repertoire of techniques that work best for me personally. At any given session, I can ask him to focus on particular areas or use particular techniques.

When relevant, he will suggest stretches or other exercises I can do at home to help with any issues I'm having.

Not all MTs do these things well, but if you shop around a bit, you'll find one who does. They're practically magic, almost like a physical tune-up.

I don't think a hydromassage table will do any of those things, but it can be very relaxing. And it's likely cheaper. Should be: You get way less.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Merciful Ath, traditional massage. Hydromassage chairs and tables are nothing more than a relaxation aid. A good masseuse can solve all manner of ills.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Better for what?

Tbh i wouldn't get a massage at a gym...their training leaves a lot to be desired in many cases.

Not sure the value of the hydromassage stuff, but my son is a licensed massage therapist and he works out of the most expensive gym/healthclub in his city. Actual massages at a gym can be fine.

Agreed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »

For a little relaxation, a hydromassage will serve it's purpose...if you need an actual massage, go get an actual massage from a trained massage therapist.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    martin amis:
    a wank is all right when what you want is sex, but it's unbeatable when all you want is a wank.
    **paraphrase.

the question is kind of like asking whether *kitten* beats non-solo versions of sex.

ime, mechanical massage is nice when you just don't feel like talking to anyone else or trying to articulate exactly what you need. on the other hand, it's less great because you have to take ownership anyway if you want an adjustment of any kind. neither one allows you to be totally passive if you want the maximum benefit that they give.

i doubt if i'd pay for hydromassage, when i already have access to the hot tub for free.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

For a little relaxation, a hydromassage will serve it's purpose...if you need an actual massage, go get an actual massage from a trained massage therapist.

@cwolfman13, yep I get a professional massage every month. I was just asking if people that did hydromassage like it or not.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@cwolfman13, yep I get a professional massage every month. I was just asking if people that did hydromassage like it or not.

But that's not what you asked at all...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I must be some kind of weirdo, but the idea of having a massage totally squicks me out and sounds painful to me. My morning foam rolling and pressure point self-massage is painful enough. The idea of a stranger doing it? I can't even handle it.

I give my husband and kids back rubs if they tell me their muscles are tight and I have never once wanted the favor returned.

Editing to add that it's become an ongoing joke that if I can't come up with a present to tell my husband and kids to get me that they're going to get me a gift certificate for a massage. They came up with that to pressure me to think of something. :D
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Sorry @Alatariel75 my question was not clear. Thxs all I got some good info.