Is it legal for a protein bar...

Options
glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
to be called a protein bar if it only has 6 grams of protein in 240 calories?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Marketing!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Hm.... I def just had a bar that wasn't advertised as a protein bar with 170 cals and 11 grams of protein.

I'd wager to say that as long as there is at least a GRAM of protein, they can market it as a protein bar.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't all of that fall under misleading advertising?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of something funny. I was at Walmart looking for a box of instant oatmeal, when I saw that Quaker had some new products out.

They had new "High Fiber" and "High Protein" flavoured oatmeal packs.

I compared the backs and...

"High Fiber" had 4g of fiber, 3g of protein.

"High Protein" had 6g of fiber, 6g of protein.

:/
  • Tiifu
    Tiifu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat the high fiber Quaker oatmeal... It has 10 grams of fiber. Are you sure you were looking at the right thing?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    A lot of energy bars are incorrectly called protein bars. It is important to always look at nutrition facts before buying.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    There are protein bars that are just as bad as candy bars.

Always check labels. Marketing & advertising make me sad.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Wouldn't all of that fall under misleading advertising?

Nope. "Protein bar" doesn't mean anything. It doesn't claim to be high or low in protein. It's a fairly meaningless description.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Tiifu wrote: »
    I eat the high fiber Quaker oatmeal... It has 10 grams of fiber. Are you sure you were looking at the right thing?

https://www.quakeroats.ca/products/quaker®-high-protein-maple-brown-sugar-flavour-instant-oatmeal

Shows as 6 grams. Maybe a difference between the US and Canada, but it definitely tastes worse and isn't worth the 3 grams of protein in my opinion.
  • vm007
    vm007 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    wow low I just went through this today. I was looking around for something to eat because my protein shake had turned bad (left it outside in heat) ....went through so many bars before I found one with 20g of protein with 200 cals.

I'm a happy man...all gains were kept.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Under FDA regulations, "good source" or "contains" are used for foods that contain between 10-19% of the daily value for that nutrient, and "excellent source" for those that are 20% or higher.

For protein, that's only 5g for "good source" and 10g for "excellent source" since the "daily value" is 50g for a 2000 calorie diet.

So anything with at least 5g of protein can advertise the protein in some manner.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hey nice to see you posting again @rankinsect. Hope all is well, and another great trip is being planned

Cheers, h.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    vm007 wrote: »
    ....went through so many bars before I found one with 20g of protein with 200 cals.

This is why I always buy Pure Protein bars at Costco, which are truly "high protein."

Each bar gives you 20-21g of protein in 180-200 cals and a box of 21 bar only costs $14. That's only 67¢ per bar.

There's nothing better than that!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    vm007 wrote: »
    ....went through so many bars before I found one with 20g of protein with 200 cals.

This is why I always buy Pure Protein bars at Costco, which are truly "high protein."

Each bar gives you 20-21g of protein in 180-200 cals and a box of 21 bar only costs $14. That's only 67¢ per bar.

There's nothing better than that!

Yup but it was Quest that raised my high protein bar standards. I do let Power Crunch bars slide with their 13 g of protein in 200 calories, tho, since they're just so gosh darned tasty.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Each bar gives you 20-21g of protein in 180-200 cals and a box of 21 bar only costs $14. That's only 67¢

Correction: A box of 21 Pure Protein bars at Costco costs $19 or about 90¢ a bar which is 3 to 4x's less than other bars, many of which contain less protein and more calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't have the same notion of what 'high protein' is than a lot of people. Heck, people still think that nuts are a good source of protein...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    When we hired a new part-timer at the fitness center...

Him: "So do we sell protein bars? That would actually be really convenient for me."

Me: "No, but the employee store sells [grits teeth] Special K protein bars... You might just want to keep your own stash in your locker."