When you want to give up..

What do you do personally when you are disappointed with the scale and feel like giving up?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I look at my workout log and remind myself that I can lift heavier and run farther and faster than I could six months ago....and in six months, I'll be even better (barring injury). To me, that's what matters.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Ween yourself off the scale or use a trend app if you must weigh everyday. Maybe take measurements instead, as a way of documenting your progress.

Your weight WILL FLUCTUATE. Water weight, TOM, etc... Weight loss is not linear.
  • neesa_ross
    neesa_ross Posts: 39 Member
    I remember my non-scale victories and keep pushing forward.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,115 Member
    I have a before shot of me 110 lbs ago....When I get discouraged and want to give up, I look at it, remember how far I have come, and it destroys any vestige of discouragement I may have....I push on....
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Rome wasn't built in a day and I won't be either!
  • rloates91
    rloates91 Posts: 12 Member
    Relax and stay positive.

I look at my weightloss graph and remind myself how far I've come and how weight fluctuates which is normal.

I also started jogging a month ago and when I'm down I go for a run to increase my endorphins and remind myself that I couldn't run as far or as fast last week - no matter what the scales says my body is getting stronger.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Moving the scale is a result - and one I can't directly control on a day by day basis. Weight fluctuates and we are only estimating our calories consumed and our calorie burn.

Carrying on with today's plan of being under calorie goal, weighing and measuring and staying honest about what goes in, getting some exercise and staying honest about what I burn, recording it all accurately - Now THAT I can be completely responsible for. And if I keep doing it, and adjust honestly where I find I have a problem, I can't help but succeed on the scale in the long run. And that's what I tell myself when it feels hard.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    OP- how long have you been at it? After 4.5 months my losses are slowing down - and yep-I do get discouraged at times. So I take a break day now and then- up my calories and have a few extra treats or just eat more in general for a day or two. This mental break usually helps me stay the course.(but can't do it too often!) And, as others have said, I look at the progress I've made and am too stubborn to give that up so I just press on.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    I ask myself what's the alternative?

Yes I find myself saying this too. What? Am I just going to go back to gaining weight? No thanks.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I look at my before pictures and remember what my life was like at those times. Remembering how badly I felt about myself, how horribly I was treated because of my weight, and how badly I treated people in return makes me never want to go there again.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I just don't give up.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I look at the numbers on the scale, shrug, and say 'huh, that's weird." Then I lace up my shoes and head out the door for a walk, a run, or a visit to the gym.
  • WendyJoy76
    WendyJoy76 Posts: 948 Member
    just take it day by day, make good choices , move more, drink more water and be kind to yourself :) you can do this!