Lifting moderately heavy weights 4x/week...1200 calories plus exercise calories enough?

I am a bit worried about becoming exhausted eating roughly ~1400 calories per day (which includes my hour of moderate weight lifting). I currently weigh 138 pounds, and have a goal weight of 117 pounds.

Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on how to best go about this?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    What did MFP say when you input your information? And it would help to know a little more about you. How tall are you, and what’s your activity setting (activity level outside of exercise)?

If you set your weekly weight loss to 2 pounds per week, it’s too high. With less than 25 pounds to lose, your weight loss goal should be .5 per week.
  • picturebook
    picturebook Posts: 13 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    What did MFP say when you input your information? And it would help to know a little more about you. How tall are you, and what’s your activity setting (activity level outside of exercise)?

If you set your weekly weight loss to 2 pounds per week, it’s too high. With less than 25 pounds to lose, your weight loss goal should be .5 per week.

When I input my information (5'6, 138 pounds, 29 years old, female), it came up with 1210 calories per day. I aimed for a one pound loss per week, but with 20 pounds to lose, it is not realistic? I am definitely okay with the idea of a slower loss, but for some reason I thought a pound per week was doable.

Thank you for the advice!
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    What does it give you for 0.5 lb/week? That might be more suitable for you
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2017

When I input my information (5'6, 138 pounds, 29 years old, female), it came up with 1210 calories per day. I aimed for a one pound loss per week, but with 20 pounds to lose, it is not realistic? I am definitely okay with the idea of a slower loss, but for some reason I thought a pound per week was doable.

Part of the problem may be that your goal weight is pretty low. I'm 5'4" and the healthy weight range for my height only goes down to I think 115. With your stats I would have assumed you were only looking to lose 5-10, which would make 1 lb per week tough. When you are already a healthy weight, you should assume weight loss will be slow.

I went from 145 to 130 at half a lb per week, and would have been hangry trying to lose faster.

Did you set yourself up as sedentary and is that accurate?

If you're worried, set your goal to 0.5 per week and do that for a couple of months and se how it goes. You can always bump it up later if it's really necessary.
  • picturebook
    picturebook Posts: 13 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Part of the problem may be that your goal weight is pretty low. I'm 5'4" and the healthy weight range for my height only goes down to I think 115. With your stats I would have assumed you were only looking to lose 5-10, which would make 1 lb per week tough. When you are already a healthy weight, you should assume weight loss will be slow.

I went from 145 to 130 at half a lb per week, and would have been hangry trying to lose faster.

Did you set yourself up as sedentary and is that accurate?

If you're worried, set your goal to 0.5 per week and do that for a couple of months and se how it goes. You can always bump it up later if it's really necessary.

I did set myself up as sedentary - I feel it is accurate, but I'd put moderately active if I was doing the TDEE method instead of MFP's way of eating back exercise calories. I changed my loss goal to .5 pounds per week...no one likes a hangry woman. It's already hard enough sticking to a new lifestyle, I don't want to feel tired and miserable doing it. Accounting for exercise calories, it looks like I will be eating 1460 on non-exercise days and anywhere from 1660 to 1750 on exercise days. That seems a lot more healthy to me.

Thank you! :blush:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Yay! :)