Juicing

Options
How do i input/track the juices i make ie with a juicing machine?

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Use the recipe builder and measure/weigh everything and that should give you a good idea

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe_parser
  • julesphilpott
    julesphilpott Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you but how do calculate the juice only elements and remove the fibrous matter?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you but how do calculate the juice only elements and remove the fibrous matter?

Perhaps add all the food together and then write down your carbs and protein (and fat but I doubt there would be any) and everything except fiber and then create a custom recipe with all the same information except fiber.

I disagree with making a smoothie. I've been told that for years. It depends. My wife had chronic illness (Fibromyalgia) so bad she could barely get out of bed. We decided to treat her Holistically, not with meds. A HUGE part of her getting better (she's in remission) was juicing. Not smoothie-ing. Juicing. Most smoothie recipes have fruit. We juiced with all vegetables. So many that you would never be able to put them in a Vitamix or Ninja and blend them up. Our "base" was cucumbers, cabbage (incredibly healthy for you), whole limes and celery. These things make a good amount of juice and have very, very little carbs (what most people who don't know how to juice argue). From there you can add other things. We used spinach, kale, cilantro, sometimes one carrot or one beet (or beet greens, which are a superfood), ginger, turmeric root and one piece or two of pineapple (the only fruit with carbs but also great digestive enzymes). The core of the pineapple has the best enzymes.

We tried it once in a Ninja. It was undrinkable. Plus, we could only get a small fraction of the good, green vegetables in. Though it wasn't a Vitamix, I have a really high end Ninja that liquified everything. Plus, the absorbability of juice and the nutrients is important. Celery, cucumber, cabbage and pineapple can heal an unhealthy gut.

"My wife benefited in an uncontrolled study of one!" This is bad advice to spout since you have no controls, personal bias, and no rigour. My concern of your use of the word "unhealthy gut" ... do you believe in the debunked 'leaky gut syndrome?'

There have been a few small studies about vegetarian and vegan diets and their benefits to people with fibromyalgia. Patients often also had a drop in weight associated with eating vegetarian/vegan, which also assists with symptoms. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/030097400447697 A study of mostly raw vegetarian diet also had marked improvement. https://bmccomplementalternmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6882-1-7

How would fiber intake impede these benefits if they're occurring in clinical trials?
  • cerin3646
    cerin3646 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Use a juice calculator online.. Its a thing.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Everytime I pass this thread I get so amped up for a controversial debate over all juice diets, detoxes or even PEDs and then as I come to realize what it is I become more and more disappointed..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »

Perhaps add all the food together and then write down your carbs and protein (and fat but I doubt there would be any) and everything except fiber and then create a custom recipe with all the same information except fiber.

I disagree with making a smoothie. I've been told that for years. It depends. My wife had chronic illness (Fibromyalgia) so bad she could barely get out of bed. We decided to treat her Holistically, not with meds. A HUGE part of her getting better (she's in remission) was juicing. Not smoothie-ing. Juicing. Most smoothie recipes have fruit. We juiced with all vegetables. So many that you would never be able to put them in a Vitamix or Ninja and blend them up. Our "base" was cucumbers, cabbage (incredibly healthy for you), whole limes and celery. These things make a good amount of juice and have very, very little carbs (what most people who don't know how to juice argue). From there you can add other things. We used spinach, kale, cilantro, sometimes one carrot or one beet (or beet greens, which are a superfood), ginger, turmeric root and one piece or two of pineapple (the only fruit with carbs but also great digestive enzymes). The core of the pineapple has the best enzymes.

We tried it once in a Ninja. It was undrinkable. Plus, we could only get a small fraction of the good, green vegetables in. Though it wasn't a Vitamix, I have a really high end Ninja that liquified everything. Plus, the absorbability of juice and the nutrients is important. Celery, cucumber, cabbage and pineapple can heal an unhealthy gut.

"My wife benefited in an uncontrolled study of one!" This is bad advice to spout since you have no controls, personal bias, and no rigour. My concern of your use of the word "unhealthy gut" ... do you believe in the debunked 'leaky gut syndrome?'

There have been a few small studies about vegetarian and vegan diets and their benefits to people with fibromyalgia. Patients often also had a drop in weight associated with eating vegetarian/vegan, which also assists with symptoms. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/030097400447697 A study of mostly raw vegetarian diet also had marked improvement. https://bmccomplementalternmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6882-1-7

How would fiber intake impede these benefits if they're occurring in clinical trials?

I think what he's saying is that they wouldn't consume the vegetables in smoothie or whole food form, which I actually do think it part of the popularity of juicing, sadly.

Personally, I consider the fiber part of the benefit of the vegetables (traditional diets were way higher fiber than even most plant based diets these days), and think juicing other than as an occasional supplement if you have the calories and enjoy the taste is not something I would really recommend, but I know some like it, so whatever.

For calories I'd log the fruit and veg used and just subtract out the fiber. You might be able to find recipes with nutritional information too, but I'd check it.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    There are juice calculators. Here is one that I use: http://www.juicingcollection.com/juicing-calculator/

I have a Hurom slow and I love it--I also use it to make almond milk.
    I have a Nutribullet, and I make a breakfast smoothie with my homemade almond milk (from the juicer!)

I bought the Nutribullet first but I could not digest smoothies. I cannot digest that many vegetables.(Forget about mixing fruit with the vegetables--digestive disaster for me). I'll eat normal servings of vegetables cooked or in salad. So I bought the juicer (an upgrade from a cheap one). I haven't made a juice in a few monhts, but did every day during the summer, and will start again. For me, I cannot digest vegetables in smoothies (unless it contains a small amount, and then what's the point of the smoothie?) because it's too much fiber but I can in juices. So I like vegetable juices for the additional vitamins. Ironic, since I was a vegetarian for 10 years and vegan for 3... (about 20 years ago).

I also had digestive problems. I don't have them any longer--(although I haven't tried any vegetable smoothies and don't plan to) . I attributed it to the weight loss in the last few months, but one of the reasons I was juicing during the summer was to heal--don't want to get TMI. It's not scientific so I don't know what healed it--maybe a combination of both.