at what point can you predict if you are going to have loose skin?

Options
delgrand
delgrand Posts: 108 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I was 271 lbs about 4 months ago. Now I am 231. I am 5'10 M, 26 year old.. so I lost 40 lbs

I have still too much to lose, but at 231 I can't see any loose skin at all ..

at what point can I safely predict that I am not gonna have too much loose skin ?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
  • delgrand
    Options
    delgrand wrote: »
    I was 271 lbs about 4 months ago. Now I am 231. I am 5'10 M, 26 year old.. so I lost 40 lbs

I have still too much to lose, but at 231 I can't see any loose skin at all ..

at what point can I say safely that I am not gonna have too much loose skin ?

When you're at goal weight without too much loose skin.

so I can't do any predictions before I reach my goal ?
  • delgrand
    Options

I did not to be honest. Thanks for sharing though :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Here is another thread about lose skin from earlier today.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621558/want-to-hear-from-people-who-were-250#latest

Cheers, h.
  • delgrand
    Options
    You can't. Genetics is the only thing that will determine how your skin will react to weight loss.

I know that genetics determine if I am going to have loose skin or not, but that's not my question.

People who are genetically programmed to have loose skin will at some point after losing certain % of body fat know that they are going to have loose skin, right ? I am asking about that point. I don't believe that loose skin suddenly appear from nowhere, I assume that a person knows beforehand during his weight loss journey that he will have loose skin. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I believe that by the time you hit the healthy weight range for your height you'll have a good idea of whether or not you'll have loose skin.

Considering how much you will end up losing, you will likely have some permanently loose skin. That doesn't mean I think you'll have huge draping swaths of it but you'll likely be able to pull/stretch it out in some areas.

Post #12 in this thread is what I'm talking about.
  • delgrand
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I called psychic hotline and they predicted I would have no loose skin.

Woo
  • delgrand
    edited December 2017
    Options
    delgrand wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I believe that by the time you hit the healthy weight range for your height you'll have a good idea of whether or not you'll have loose skin.

Considering how much you will end up losing, you will likely have some permanently loose skin. That doesn't mean I think you'll have huge draping swaths of it but you'll likely be able to pull/stretch it out in some areas.

Post #12 in this thread is what I'm talking about.

I would be heartbroken If I ended up looking like the picture on the left in post 12 . I hope you are wrong :smile:

You have two choices then....save for surgery or stay fat. Sorry but we all got fat we all have to bear the consequences. Telling someone who is proud of their massive loss you'd be heartbroken to look like them is pretty harsh.

The poster of the comment is not the same person in the thread the OP referred me to( it is even in another forum)
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You will know loose skin is happening when you have wrinkled baggy skin in certain areas, i used to describe it as like being one of those dogs that look like they have all kinds of fat rolls..

Another way was, since i took baths, all the skin used to float
  • delgrand
    Options
    @HellYeahItsKriss

I think I have some of the wrinkled skin you are talking about on the inside of my thighs, but I had them even before I started losing weight. Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your weight loss success.