Hi everyone! Nursing student here

Options
Hello!

My name is Lauren. I live in Phoenix, AZ. 28 years old :)
I would like to make some new friends. I used myfitnesspal a little under 10 years ago and was in the best shape! Now unfortunately I'm at a shocking 240 lbs! I'm currently in nursing school and exercising has truly fallen by the wayside. But I want to be the kind of nurse that lives the lifestyle she preaches.

If anyone else feels the pain of exercise while in school, feel free to reach out.

Replies

• juliaaaa77
    juliaaaa77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also a nursing student! Gained 30 pounds in the past year and attempting to lose it all. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and I'm 20!
  • rnjanet
    rnjanet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse. When I went to university I gained a lot of weight. I feel that allowing myself to slow down physically was a big factor in my struggles later in life. I am hoping that MFP will help me stay motivated to eat right and move more. I'm pretty sure my excess weight has played a part in the deterioration of my knees. Most nurses are on their feet several hours a day. Having the extra weight has been hard on my back as well. I'm no longer 234lb. I've taken off 50 and all I can do is try to prevent further musculoskeletal problems. I can't reverse some things but I can try to treat my body better so I can continue in my career. My advice... walk whenever you can. Be good to yourself. I wish I had paid more attention when the weight was creeping on.
    I've been nursing now 24 years . Id like to retire as active as possible. You have a long career ahead. I wish you good health.
  • lepreble
    lepreble Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    rnjanet, thanks for sharing! I've always been an active person as I grew up swimming competitively full time, but now I have no time for any of that. I woke up yesterday and realized just how bad I've let it get. I'm also a stress eater, which is terrible! I'm buying an elliptical machine tomorrow hopefully, and at least having something in my home will make it easier to get back into an exercise routine. I feel very uncomfortable now that I notice I get short of breath so much easier than before. It's like I'm in a foreign body.

Julia, I wish you luck! We can be friends if you want - I'm sure it is helpful to connect with other nursing students in addition to weight loss support :)
  • briirene
    briirene Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! My name’s Brianna, and I’m also currently a nursing student! I’m from Bridgeport, CT and I’m 22 :) I’ve used MFP off and on for the past few years but I’ve somehow allowed myself to gain 15-20 pounds and was starting to notice myself getting bigger, so I decided to start using it again. Hoping to lose 20-25 pounds. Sucks that the weight is so much easier to put on than to take off! I feel like juggling nursing school and fitness requires a special kind of talent! Lol I’ve gotten myself back into the gym, but I feel like especially the week before an exam, I don’t tend to pay attention to the gym or fitness as much as I do to studying. Buttttt school takes priority right now. Good luck!
  • lepreble
    lepreble Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi briirene,

Good to meet you! How far along are you in your nursing program? I have 1.5 years left......eeep! My friend is bringing in an isogenix shake for me to try so that I can consider purchasing some for use. I notice my biggest challenge is how unprepared I am each day for meals. Who has time to cook? I live by myself and support myself completely, and juggling work and school is a magical feat in and of itself. haha! So I'm thinking about incorporating shakes into my day so at least I have something to fill me up instead of running to a fast food joint.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    lepreble wrote: »
    Hi briirene,

Good to meet you! How far along are you in your nursing program? I have 1.5 years left......eeep! My friend is bringing in an isogenix shake for me to try so that I can consider purchasing some for use. I notice my biggest challenge is how unprepared I am each day for meals. Who has time to cook? I live by myself and support myself completely, and juggling work and school is a magical feat in and of itself. haha! So I'm thinking about incorporating shakes into my day so at least I have something to fill me up instead of running to a fast food joint.
    I know it's frowned upon but I did it with Slimfast meal bars, it saved me planning and juggling cooking and worrying. They were in my fridge to snatch and go. I'm old so my reasons for doing so were different to yours but the end result the same. So far I have now lost 32lbs. Good luck & success in your weight loss and career. :smile:
  • fitnessaymen
    fitnessaymen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im a nursing student too :-)
    good luck with your goals
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I was a nursing student 18 years ago. I gained at least 15 pounds...then accepted a job as a night shift nurse, gaining another 35 pounds. Those were the days. Also didn't work exercise into my day...big mistake. I could help you with some quick meals and support.
  • BoiNeezy
    BoiNeezy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Add me if u like
  • Waterbug08
    Waterbug08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse as well, graduated an accelerated 2nd bachelors program nearly 2 years ago. During school the only activity i really got was my lunchtime walk, but it was a great de-stresser. I have actually naturally gotten in better shape since graduation- between the long hours on your feet and missed lunch breaks =) No, there is definitely a better work/life balance than when you're in school. Biggest thing---as a nurse people bring food to you ALL THE TIME. So be careful. Its always someones birthday, or graduation, or (insert reason to celebrate with unhealthy food here). I have added a hard rule of not eating it, which has been helping.

I still use protein shakes or meal replacement shakes a lot (time savers- also helps resist easy juck food) along with whole foods- ive really started trying these past couple of weeks and am feeling better already. Getting in shape is hard- but worth it!

The point is, nursing school and the profession are a challenge, but so worth it. Good Luck, and good for you for joining and choosing to get healthy. Cheers!
  • hilary99
    hilary99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m in a similar situation. Have finals this week and will be on break for a couple weeks and hoping to get back to routine I had going over the summer. I was staying pretty consistent when this semester atarantes but the more intense my school load got the less time I was spending at the gym. I’m trying to find a way to balance everything and hopefully have my BSN in spring 2019.
  • zara1296
    zara1296 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Same here! I’m school to be a PA. Doing a fasta track program. All my weight has been going downhill....would love motivation from anyone in the same postion as me! Let’s do this!
  • toddnunez5
    toddnunez5 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Omg, I felt like I was the only one gaining weight in my cohort lol. I just finished my first semester of RN last month and was very stressed... along with nursing School, my grandma (I lived with her) passed away 6 weeks in (got very sick 4th week in, and passed during midterms). Not to mention that I had to quit my job before starting, which meant that there goes my “exercise” of standing on my feet for 8 hours a day lol. I previously lost 100 pounds, but since nursing school, I gained back 40 :( Still trying to get into the groove of losing it again.
  • Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I was in nursing school, there seemed to be only 2 types of students. Those that lost weight and those that packed it on. I was in the packed it on group. Most people have already hit on the big ideas that frankly are some of the best.
    1. Meal prep. While in school, brown bag your meal. While on clinical, pack a protein bar/drink to manage through your shift. (I didn't eat much on clinical; it grossed me out.)
    2. Another tactic, although less social (and that's 100% okay), was some of my classmates would not eat lunch with others. They found eating together would cause them to eat more or more likely to chip in for local take-out. There was a Greek place across from our school. Sooo good. Or in the case of our class valedictorian, she went to her van to power nap rather than eat at all. (she had a very busy life and that nap was her sanity)
    3. People offer nurses food. OMG so much food! Do not partake. I do have a weak spot for oatmeal raisin cookies. If that was offered, I would take ONE. That was my only exception.
    4. While in school, exercise seems to be impossible. It's not, but you may have to be creative. I paced the halls with my note cards. My classmates made fun of me at first. By the end of school, about a third were doing the same thing.

After graduation, I worked night shift on LTC and post surgical rehab. Again, I didn't like eating at work. (8hr or 12hr - not eating at work. Packed protein bar and shake.) After nursing school ended, I dropped 40 lbs. I don't know about other nurses, but the only time I sat down was to chart. So the constant movement for patient care was exercise in itself. How many patients do I have and I've only got one CNA? Whoooo! We're hustling.