I have let myself down.

Options
Starting in July I decided to lose some weight and once I got started I just ran with it. I went from 225 to 142 at my lowest. Then recently I've been incredibly depressed about alot if things and I'm not sure exactly how but over the last two weeks I just sort of gave up. I haven't exercised in a week and my diet has been one ling binge to put it mildly. I've gained back about ten pounds I believe and I'm on the verge of just giving up completely because I'm so dissapointed in myself right now.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Also... mathematically.. to gain 10 pounds, you need to eat 35,000 calories above whatever your maintenance is..

since you've said it's been a week long binge.. if your maintenance is say.. 1800 - 2000, you would need to eat that many calories + 5000 additional calories each day for 7 days

the weight increase you are seeing more then likely water weight due to increase in carbs and sodium.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Starting in July I decided to lose some weight and once I got started I just ran with it. I went from 225 to 142 at my lowest. Then recently I've been incredibly depressed about alot if things and I'm not sure exactly how but over the last two weeks I just sort of gave up. I haven't exercised in a week and my diet has been one ling binge to put it mildly. I've gained back about ten pounds I believe and I'm on the verge of just giving up completely because I'm so dissapointed in myself right now.

if you give up completely you'll just gain more...

see a doctor about the depression
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It's only 2 weeks--you haven't done THAT much damage, and part of the 10 pounds is likely water and food waste in your body.

Do you have a history of depression? Do you have a therapist or doctor that you see? It might be a good time to check in.

Also--142 is fairly light for a guy... How tall are you?
  • invitedchaos
    invitedchaos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You lost 80 pounds... holy crap that's amazing! Don't get down on yourself about gaining 10 back, because you've already achieved more than many could even aspire to. Two steps forward, one step back... but then two more forward! So you took two weeks off... sometimes you need a break from being tough! Don't beat yourself up about it. Just get back on the horse. Re-establish the good habits.
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Find some friends on here to motivate you, speak to a professional or family/friends about what's going on with you. Try to work out what's going on so you can fix it before you really do spiral out of control.

2 weeks is fixable, 10lbs is potentially a lot of water. You've come too far to give up now.

Start again today and log EVERYTHING you eat. Don't worry if it's way over calories, it's a starting point and tomorrow try to eat less than those calories and so on. Also drink plenty of water.

Finally, congratulations on such a fantastic weight loss. You really have done well to lose that much since July. Look back at what you have achieved and remember you're only human. Maybe you're close to maintenance, in which case concentrate on eating sensibly.
  • miketool123
    miketool123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I figured I may as well be a little more candid since I don't have a therapist. Lol. I started losing weight and exercising because of the way was feeling on a day to day basis not even for vanity ( but I won't deny it was part of it). But then I learned of an affair my wife of 12 years had in the past and that launched me in to overdrive. After some soul searching I left and moved to Jacksonville FL. My 16 year old was living with her mother here and doing some modeling work so I decided to stay. Soon after that I got an apartment and a job here in Jax. Then her mother's house burnt down and my daughter came to live with me and her mother moved to newyork. Everything has been great. My daughter and I reconnected on an amazing level with fitness as a focal point. Then recently I was out of work for almost three weeks and things got financially impossible for me. I'm looking at losing the life I've built here and I guess I'm using food as a coping mechanism the same way you might drink alcohol when depressed. I know some if you are going to say wow why are you even worried about it while you have this huge problem your facing or this isn't really the forum fir that but I feel like all of these things are tied together. I want to maintain the work I've put in while dealing with a potentially temporary situation and since I have no friends or family here I figured I'd let go somewhere and this is where I've chosen . So that's my crazy story. Thank you for reading.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You'll land on your feet. I know that sounds flip, but it really isn't. Take the first job. Can your daughter help out with the bills? She can work in Florida at age 16.

Stop by a local church and talk to someone there. There are lots of safety nets when a family is in financial trouble. Look for them. Food banks, job search help, free counseling. There is a strong church family in Florida. Even if you don't really believe, they do and they want to help. A hospital or City Hall is also a good starting place for services. They can at least steer you in the right direction. Ask for help, hard as it is - that's how you find it. :)

Someday you will be in a position to repay the kindness.
  • Who_Needs_Pants
    Who_Needs_Pants Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say congratulations.

You were in a sucky situation with someone that didn't value or respect you and you said, "No thanks, I'm better than this. "

You got out of a toxic environment and took care of yourself, took risks, reconnected with your fam- you are living. Respect. Many people don't have the courage to love themselves enough to struggle for their happiness. So much respect.
  • picturebook
    picturebook Posts: 13 Member
    Options

On the plus side, you did not gain 10 pounds in a week. I can relate to this on a painfully close level. The weight gain from binges, the shame, the feeling like a failure. It sounds like you are actually doing great despite many major life changes and obstacles. Be proud of yourself and set a continued good example for your family by treating yourself as well as you do them, and loving yourself as much, too. Good luck!
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds in 2 weeks is a blip. It's probably not even ten pounds of fat. Don't give up because of a blip. Get up, dust yourself off, and move forward. And most importantly don't beat yourself up for being human. No regrets, just lessons learned.
  • WendyJoy76
    WendyJoy76 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    It's a tough time of year, keep your head up! :)
  • miketool123
    miketool123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for their kind words of encouragement. It helped me through this day more than you know. Brought me close to tears a few times but I guess I needed that.
  • Mprilly
    Mprilly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hey Mike! Just wanted to let you know I sent you an individual message.