Tracking Spin class on your fitbit

Options
What exercise option on Fitbit is the most accurate way to track a spin class?

Replies

• justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There is a way to manually log exercises in fitbit. If you go into your exercise log and hit the stopwatch looking symbol in the upper right corner it lets you search for exercises. There is a spinning option there. However, the spinning option only goes on time, and I think gives you a flat number of calories burned depending on time, regardless of effort. I use it when tracking my stationary bike and I haven't found it to be too inaccurate. The calorie data will sync to MFP as well. If anyone else has a better way, I'd love to hear it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Does your spin bike measure watts? That would be the most accurate way to go about it.

ETA: I always found my HRM to give me a reasonably good estimate when I knocked off my BMR calories...certainly didn't hinder me.

Given that a FitBit is a fancy pedometer, I don't think it will give you much in the way of beneficial data for cycling.
  • Josh_Friedman
    Josh_Friedman Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Tie your fitbit to your shoe or wear it around your ankle. It should pick up that you are cycling
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Revolutions on a cycle do not equal steps.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don’t have watts on your spin bike, I use the spin option on my Fitbit and leave it on my wrist. The number it gives me is in line with the number of calories I get from my other 194959 trackers, monitors and any number of online calculators. So I’m going to assume they are all reasonably the same level of accurate (or inaccurate-whichever it might be).
  • tabby_dawn88
    tabby_dawn88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to track it as steps. I just have several options for exercise on my Fitbit; i.e kiking, weights, running, circuit training, yoga but did not have an option for spinning. Thanks everyone for your advice, this helps
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just use the calories that MF shows for the allocated time..minus 10 per cent
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I use the generic workout setting. I have looked all over for the spinning setting and have never found it. I have the charge hr 2.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Tie your fitbit to your shoe or wear it around your ankle. It should pick up that you are cycling

You might as well put it on your dog's collar and turn on the laser robot while you spin. Sitting on a bike isn't a weight bearing exercise like walking or running, so it'll be all wrong.
  • tabby_dawn88
    Options
    Anyone know how to block someone on here? After posting this in the forum someone keeps messaging me who I do not know. I don't see a blocking option
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you use the online version then open their message to you and click on the "Block User" option (next one along from Reply and Delete).
    But suggest you report them to the mods too if they are bothering you.
  • tabby_dawn88
    Options
    I was able to find the block option when I got online, rather than the app. Thanks!
  • Michie112g
    Michie112g Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I had the Fitbit I would use the under Armour Record App. It worked