Going Over in Protein

Options
consumone
consumone Posts: 139 Member
Strange question I think. I have gotten really good at my high protein foods but now I find myself going over the allowed 60grams. Is this going to cause a problem, I am staying within my calories, but I am going over in protein by up to 18 grams a day :( I do eat a lot of chicken, yogurt, and such.

Thoughts.

Replies

• hopleyjana2049
    hopleyjana2049 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How much do you weight ? If you are training or doing some kind of sport 1g of protein per each pound you weight is recommended. If you are sedentary person then ta 0.8 g per each pound. So 60 grams really doesn’t sound a lot at all. You can change your macros manually rather then going bumy what myfitnesspal tells you.
  • picturebook
    picturebook Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you're going to go over on a macro, that's a good one to go "over" on! I think you could give some thought to even raising your protein goal to 80 grams. :smiley:
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I agree that 60 grams doesn't sound like a lot. One thing you may not be aware of (but I'm just guessing): the macros percentages that MFP assigns are a default level, but you can customise them to whatever percentages you want based on what level of each feel right to you (based on factors like how satiated you are at certain proportions, general food preferences, etc.) or based on your doctor or nutritionist's recommendation, if you're working with one. You can change yours in the settings somewhere ... the Goals section, maybe?
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh this is great information! THANK YOU - Yes I am just using what MFP gave me - I weigh 220 and I am 5'7 so I have a lot to lose and I was trying to get plenty of protein - I may change that macro than because I hate seeing a red number and thought I would have to quit having so much protein. I make Grilled chicken and than have 2 oz for my snack and I also have Yogurt for one of my snacks since those keep me full longer.

Thanks everyone!
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I weigh 226 and I set my protein goal for over 100 per day.

Generally I try to go "over" for protein and fiber (thought I do which MFP and the food industry in general would insoluble from soluble fiber in labels).

I also try to go over for monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat *as long* as total fat isn't high. I try to stay under for total calories and carbohydrates.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I consider MFP's protein goal to be an absolute minimum. Not a max.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    consumone wrote: »
    Oh this is great information! THANK YOU - Yes I am just using what MFP gave me - I weigh 220 and I am 5'7 so I have a lot to lose and I was trying to get plenty of protein - I may change that macro than because I hate seeing a red number and thought I would have to quit having so much protein. I make Grilled chicken and than have 2 oz for my snack and I also have Yogurt for one of my snacks since those keep me full longer.

Thanks everyone!

Don’t think of red=bad unless it’s your calories you go over (and even that isn’t the end of the world). That said, 60 grams of protein at the MFP default percentage has you on 1200 calories. That’s quite low for someone with your stats. I think you’ll have better success raising your calories.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I eat 170-190 grams of protein per day, and my kidneys haven't shut down yet lol. I'm sure serious roid rage types eat vastly more than even that.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    60 grams of protein per day is quite low - especially at your weight. while the 1 gram per pound of body weight is not necessary, I'd look at least getting closer to 100 grams/day to preserve muscle (youll have to rejig the other macros so it evens out to your calorie goal).