Christmas Jumper woes

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I was picturing one of those dresses that you often wear a shirt under since they don't have sleeves. You know the ones? I thought they were always called jumpers.

Anyway, you should be proud of all your hard work and I'm sorry your co-workers are making you uncomfortable. I hope you find your voice and let them know that you wish they wouldn't talk about you like that.

Yeah, in the US they are.

nbjwis93cn3r.jpg

I knew what the OP meant, but that's what I picture too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I was picturing one of those dresses that you often wear a shirt under since they don't have sleeves. You know the ones? I thought they were always called jumpers.

Anyway, you should be proud of all your hard work and I'm sorry your co-workers are making you uncomfortable. I hope you find your voice and let them know that you wish they wouldn't talk about you like that.

Yeah, in the US they are.

nbjwis93cn3r.jpg

I knew what the OP meant, but that's what I picture too.

In the UK that is a pinafore dress
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @LiveLoveProgress -- I have a huge backbone, i don't have a lot of confidence in myself but i do not let people push me around or allow them to think that its okay.

Co workers can be a little intimidating, but when you stand up for yourself, you do not have to do it maliciously.
    There is tactful ways, I don't think lowering yourself to their level and commenting on their bodies will really right the wrong.

I was told by someone that i looked sick and gaunt. All i said was that my friends and loved ones are really proud of me and think i look fantastic, so does my doctor, If you had put hard work into something personal to you, would you want someone to make you feel like everyone else must be lying?

I didn't make her feel awkward about her own body, because even saying something about commenting on her body is just dancing around the fact that you must also think something negative about them and we have to stop shaming people in general for their bodies and be supportive towards goals, like they should be with you.. but my comment to my co worker let her relate better, everyone has put hard work into something personal about themselves and no one would want someone to sour that for them.

If this co worker still doesn't get it.. then you know what? in your own mind you know that this person is just naturally inconsiderate towards others and you can be proud that you are not that kind of person.

For the record I didn't say to comment on their bodies, I said to ask them if they would like their body to be commented on.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad -- you didn't but the OP did say that. :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I usually go with "I'm sorry you feel that way" when people are being weird and slightly inappropriate. It usually shuts them up and is less confrontational...no point burning bridges at work.

"'I'm sorry you feel that way" is such a work - horse
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ahh! I see! A pinafore! I think somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it was also called that. But I had no clue a sweater was called a jumper. Neat!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Wear the smaller one!! It's nobody's business. Do what makes you happy and ignore everyone! Chances are, they are criticizing you because they have their own issues with themselves.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Yes, in the U.S., historically those were called jumpers. I don't hear the term much anymore.

Clothing terms differ from one English-speaking country to another. Like pants.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Is the question really about wearing a smaller sweater or not? Please clarify
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Wearing clothes that are too large can highlight weightloss in a negative way. Go for the fitted clothes!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Move to Australia then you can wear a Christmas t-shirt instead. No such thing as Christmas jumpers here.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Wear clothes that fit and flatter you!
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I usually go with "I'm sorry you feel that way" when people are being weird and slightly inappropriate. It usually shuts them up and is less confrontational...no point burning bridges at work.

"'I'm sorry you feel that way" is such a work - horse

"You may be right" is one I've used to shut things down too. In my mind I finish it with "but you're not" lol.
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Move to Australia then you can wear a Christmas t-shirt instead. No such thing as Christmas jumpers here.

Seems reasonable Lillymoo. :D Come on down, OP! It's beautiful here today. (Better make it today; tomorrow's going to be a scorcher and we'll all be whinging about it. :p )

Anyway, I'll add to the chorus of "wear the small one" and enjoy it!

ETA: Oh and congrats on your weight loss. That's awesome!
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I generally go with 'that was really hurtful/inappropriate, was that your intention?'

This Friday is christmas jumper day, so most people in 'fun' offices will be forced into something stupid.

I'm torn between the t-rex and the pizza kitten....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/uideazone-Christmas-Juniors-Dragon-Sweatshirt/dp/B01LYYU8FR/ref=sr_1_1?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1513092552&sr=1-1&nodeID=83450031&psd=1&keywords=ugly+christmas+jumper
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    MaybeLed wrote: »
    I generally go with 'that was really hurtful/inappropriate, was that your intention?'

Next Friday is christmas jumper day, so most people in 'fun' offices will be forced into something stupid.

I'm torn between the t-rex and the pizza kitten....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/uideazone-Christmas-Juniors-Dragon-Sweatshirt/dp/B01LYYU8FR/ref=sr_1_1?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1513092552&sr=1-1&nodeID=83450031&psd=1&keywords=ugly+christmas+jumper

The t-rex is awesome. I may or may not have just ordered it. :)