4 years on - conventions, costumes and the roller coaster that is keeping the weight off

So, after being miserable and overweight throughout my 20s, I started to come out of my shell after I turned 30. Got out and did things, met new people, started to enjoy life. In 2013, I went to my first ChicagoTARDIS, a 3 day Doctor Who convention in Chicago the weekend after thanksgiving. I was so psyched to meet doctor who actors, run around in costume and make new friends. And I had a blast. But then, the pictures. Ugh, so many happy memories and the pictures smacked me in the face. I knew I was fat. But dang, no, not happy.

akm44ync0vrz.jpg

The pictures made me so unhappy BUT they were also the final straw. I was finally awake and finally motivated to lose weight. After trying so hard and failing for my entire adult life, it all finally clicked and I did it. I moved more. I ate less. I started biking to work. I went to the gym. I weighed my food, logged it all. I worked hard over the next year and hit my goal a year later in time for ChicagoTARDIS 2014.

pro3al2vkj3v.jpg

But losing weight isn't a race - it's a lifelong journey. You don't hit your goal and then live happily ever after. It takes continued dedication and work. If you start to slack, that weight can creep back on. Since hitting my goal I've yo yo-ed a bit. A few pounds up, take a few pounds off, a few more pounds up, take a few more pounds off. Honestly, I'm about 20 lbs heavier than I'd like to be. But, I'm not too terribly worried about it. I know what it takes to lose the weight. I make myself look back at those pictures from 2013 and then to what I accomplished by 2014. I've got this. Log back into myfitnesspal and log everything I eat. Need to tighten up my portion control and drink a little bit less. I've integrated physical activity into my every day life. I'm training for a half ironman. And I still love my conventions and my costumes. Just got back from ChicagoTARDIS 2017 and this year, as it has for the past several years, the pictures make me smile.

rqs6ajy1ssgy.jpg

Replies

• jenk1981
    jenk1981 Posts: 30 Member
    Congratulations

You look so happy in the photos
  • Let's make you some armor now.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    You are so bada$$

And this Chicago Whovian is super envious of the River Song meet. Just sayin :)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    OMG YOU GOT TO MEET RIVER SONG???!!!!!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    did she say, 'Hello Sweetie'?!?!?!

very jealous!!! :D:D
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Thank you for speaking about the time AFTER your goals are met. I met my goals and now I'm starting over. Wise words, you look incredible and happy, congratulations!
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Did we just become best friends? ;)
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    I am ashamed to say I have no idea what this Tardis is and that I only know that woman because she use to be on the show ER :# but none the less you look FANTASTIC!! Good on you for the weight loss and you are so right about the keeping it off part. I lost 75lbs in just under 9 months, I maintained a while since even though I still have about 30lbs to go and because of myself being lax I have gained 7lbs in a blink of an eye. Sometimes we slip and old habit creep back in, but we know what needs to be done and know that we have to get back to it!!! Great post, great pics!!!! keep on doing you!!
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    You look great, congrats!
  • nowornever0430
    nowornever0430 Posts: 100 Member
    WOW!! You look amazing! Great job and thank you for sharing!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Thanks everyone! The road we walk is long, and it's good to have this resource to keep coming back to.

4 years ago, I hid from the cameras. Now I take perhaps a few too many mirror selfies.

nwfu5e.jpg
  • Super inspiring journey. Dazzled by your Dr Who-ness, I almost missed the bit about you training for a half iron man. Wow! Congrats on the dedication and determination that requires.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Great job! It's more fun to cosplay when you feel like the costume is the right size.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,359 Member

akm44ync0vrz.jpg

pro3al2vkj3v.jpg

rqs6ajy1ssgy.jpg

I recognise Peter Davidson & Paul McGann as former doctors (and River Song) who's the other guy in the red shirt?
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    I recognise Peter Davidson & Paul McGann as former doctors (and River Song) who's the other guy in the red shirt?

That's the much maligned 6th Doctor, Colin Baker, aka my Space Grandpa! He's the best Doctor Who actor on the circuit, an absolute delight to listen to and to talk with. I once came upon him in the hall following a Dalek singing "Hello Dalek" to the tune of "Hello Dolly." Got the short shrift TV wise, but has absolutely killed it in radio dramas with Big Finish (where one can also find so much eighth doctor stuff with Paul McGann).

He's on the far right in the bottom picture (where he's wearing a cyberman print shirt), and also so he's not left out, the menacing gentleman in the glasses in that picture is the 7th Doctor, Sylvester McCoy. And as he would mention if he were here, did you know he was in a little movie called the Hobbit? (that's a long running joke on the DW convention circuit, that he drops that into every conversation).

• beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Great job achieving your goals and developing a healthy mindset and healthy habits! Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom and your inspiring story! Wishing you continued health, happiness, and success! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!