Whats your gym routine

zorbaru
zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
Hi All,

Im looking at joining a gym on the weekend, which is scary because the last time i joined i barely went and wasted my money. but the main reason for not going was that they werent open at the times i wanted to go (usually late nights sunday afternoons) but this gym is 24 hours 7 days so that wont be an excuse any more.

i was thinking i would maily use treadmill, rower and bikes (i really hate x trainers)

what do you guys do?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    I used to do the same thing everyday...60 min treadmill, weights, 15 min bike. The next semester...60 min elliptical, weights.

Now, I mix it up everyday! I try to do a basic cardio workout between elliptical/treadmill for 60 minutes with weights atleast 4 days a week, and the other three I do a mix between spinning/swimming/yoga/Body Combat/etc. and LOVE it! It keeps me entertained, makes it fun, and gives me something new to try. :)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    I belong to 24 hour gym myself, best move ever, I find I actually use it 2 or more times a week. I do elliptical and mix it up on weights and circuit depending on my mood.
  • zorbaru
    cool, problem being the gym i am joining doesnt have classes. its just machines and weights
  • naeswirl
    naeswirl Posts: 56
    I've been exploring different classes at the gym. I tried Aqua Zumba last week and Aqua Fitness the week earlier. My knees at times bother me, and I keep hearing water exercises is much better for them!

But I normally do Body conditioning & Zumba. I do a few miles on the bike and on the treadmill. I hate the Elliptical and that the machine I should be developing a love for since I'd reap the most benefits from it... oh well. One day LOL!

Good luck! :)
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    10 minute warm up, lift weights 4x a week, 30-60 mins cardio after depending on the day....sometimes I run, do the elliptical, stairmaster, spin, bootcamp etc. I try to mix it up as well and I never get bored. On days I dont lift I do more cardio.
  • 15 minutes elliptical, upper body weights, 15 minutes cycling, lower body weights, 10 minutes stair stepper, abs, 10 minutes arm cycling machine
  • teachermegan
    teachermegan Posts: 68 Member
    Hi. My friend is a personal trainer and here is what he has me do:

As many cardio classes as I want (I know your gym doesn't have these)

Weight lifting 2xs a week - he has me on a specialized program so you'd have to figure out a plan. I usually spend 45 min lifting.

PLUS 3x's a week he has me do this:
    5 min warmup (usually a power walk or jog)
    3 sets of the following: 1 minutes all out, 2 minutes moderate
    5 min cool down

Total of 19 minutes. He says this will rev my metabolism. I just started last week.
    What I have been doing for the 3 sets of 1 hard and 2 moderate is JUMP ROPE. OMG It's BRUTAL but I LOOOOVE it! It's fun, it makes me feel like a boxer or some other cool athlete and I can do it at the gym or out at a park.
  • zorbaru
    my plan was probably something like 15 minutes on the tready, 15on a bike and 10 on a rower.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I do cardio on MW and Weights on Tues/Thurs with a 5 min treadmill warm up first.

For Weights I do:
    Squats
    Lunges
    Bicep Curls
    Tricep Dips
    Seated Row
    Leg Press
    Chest Press
    Planks

I try to mix it up between the machines and free weights..
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    My Gym is Goodlife (canada) the classes are all included in the price and I can go to any location anywhere, many 24 hrs.

Routine:
    Mon, Wed, Fri - 55 min Spinning Class
    Tues- 60 min Body Pump Class
    Thurs- Rest Day !!! :)
    Sat and or Sun- work out DVD at home- Jilliam 30 DS, Ripped in 30, 6 week 6 pack or A Crunch Yoga DVD

Thinking of starting a Booty Camp class.....

Classes keep me motivated so Id recommend a Gym that includes them and has a good schedule.
  • vanb0052
    vanb0052 Posts: 50 Member
    Even though my gym is not 24/7....I was able to join for only $10 a month, and my company will pay up to $20 a month if we go 12 times. Turns into a pretty sweet deal!!!

I go right after work for 3 days in a row, then either take the 4th day off or go swimming. I'm a big girl and in HORRIBLE shape, so while this may not seem like much to some it's a lot for me:

5 min warm up on treadmill or elliptical
    7 more min on the treadmill or elliptical with varying speeds
    20 min weights
    Day 1- shoulders, chest, upper back
    Day 2- legs
    Day 3- back, abs, biceps, triceps
    15-20 min biking- again try to mix up the speeds as much as possible
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    It depends how long I have really, this week i've been putting the gym off and usually don't get there till half 8 so i only have about an hour and a bit so i've just blitzed through the cardio machines doing interval training but my usual schedule goes like this

Treadmill for 30 minutes
    Bike for 20 minutes
    Rowing Machine for 10 minutes and Cross trainer for another 10-15 minutes
    and then i'll use whatever machines I need to for that day so say its ABS day then i'll use all the machines that target my abs and do 10 x 3 reps on each, usually overall i'm the the gym for no longer than an hour and a half.
    Although sometimes I stay in for 2 hours but that's not that often.