Options

Replies

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    https://www.cesarsway.com/cesar-millan/cesars-blog/the-best

https://animalfoundation.com/the-importance-of-walking-your-dog/

https://m.petmd.com/dog/slideshows/general_health/top-ten-health-benefits-walking-your-pet-provides

I’ll just leave these right here :). If you have a vet who tells you it is unimportant for good animal husbandry to provide exercise for you pets be they large or small, your vet might need a refresher course. And notice I said I don’t walk mine. But since I do all the things you mentioned above I guess I’ll consider myself a pretty fabulous pet owner though not as good as my vet says I should be due to the lazy portion of my post.

I can't take anyone who thinks Cesar Chavez and the damage he has done to the average pet owning layperson's understanding of what is acceptable dog training techniques is a valid and reputable person to link as a subject matter expert, seriously. You should look into the material Sophia Yin has put out sometime. :) (pssssst....Jan Pol is not a competent veterinarian, either, just because he is on television, cutting massive corners when it comes to the standard of care to provide low cost care in an area of MI that suffers from a "DVM/VMD desert".)

Again, not talking about exercise. The premise put forth was if you don't walk your dog you are not a responsible pet owner, period. According to her you are, indeed, an irresponsible pet owner. As in, no "fabulous" in sight.

Your veterinarian judging you based on his/her outdated personal opinion on the topic is unprofessional. So is not taking the time to help you identify activities you *would* enthusiastically engage in with your pet(s) which you'd both enjoy, based on personal knowledge regarding both of you, rather than chastising you for not walking your dog. No other way to call it. See my previous personal anecdotes upthread, which are not the only anecdotes like them in the world. Dogs get obese from being overfed, not from a lack of daily walks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is WHY would you not take your dog out everyday, what's stopping you (general you)?
    We don't have the stringent dog leash laws here in Aus that the US has, so we go down to the beach or large walking trails, the leash comes off, and we let them run and play with other dogs to their hearts content.

There are many, many days where I couldn't be bothered walking them, but i do it anyway, because of the immense joy it brings them. My dogs needs over ride my laziness every time. I just can not equal the exercise, stimulation and social interaction they get out in the real world, at home.
  • Christine_72
    edited December 2017
    Options

Yes, but they walk themselves. Unless you have an indoor cat, then yeah, the onus is 100% on the owner to provide adequate stimulation.

So the shortened lifespan, injury, disease, uncontrolled breeding, and loss of wildlife that goes hand in hand with letting your non-farm/ranch cats roam stray are all acceptable to you, then.

Interesting.

My cat is spayed, we live at the end of a quiet cul de sac, no traffic, and my cat has not killed one animal in the 4 years we've had her. She is a home body and far from a "stray"...

ETA: Plus we lock her in at night.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    But this is the fun puppy thread, ya’ll....
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    https://www.cesarsway.com/cesar-millan/cesars-blog/the-best

https://animalfoundation.com/the-importance-of-walking-your-dog/

https://m.petmd.com/dog/slideshows/general_health/top-ten-health-benefits-walking-your-pet-provides

I’ll just leave these right here :). If you have a vet who tells you it is unimportant for good animal husbandry to provide exercise for you pets be they large or small, your vet might need a refresher course. And notice I said I don’t walk mine. But since I do all the things you mentioned above I guess I’ll consider myself a pretty fabulous pet owner though not as good as my vet says I should be due to the lazy portion of my post.

I can't take anyone who thinks Cesar Chavez and the damage he has done to the average pet owning layperson's understanding of what is acceptable dog training techniques is a valid and reputable person to link as a subject matter expert, seriously. You should look into the material Sophia Yin has put out sometime. :) (pssssst....Jan Pol is not a competent veterinarian, either, just because he is on television, cutting massive corners when it comes to the standard of care to provide low cost care in an area of MI that suffers from a "DVM/VMD desert".)

Again, not talking about exercise. The premise put forth was if you don't walk your dog you are not a responsible pet owner, period. According to her you are, indeed, an irresponsible pet owner. As in, no "fabulous" in sight.

Actually if you would be so kind as to turn your judgment down a few gizzilion degrees what I said in my original post was just a high five to the OP for taking care of his pets needs as the whole post had gone to hell with people freaking out that said OP might have gotten a dog for all the wrong reasons which also seemed a bit jump the gun on judgment. I simply googled walking your dog and picked the first three that showed up. Oddly enough there was not a single one on the first four pages arguing that walking your dog is a bad idea. I’m glad you are feel very strongly about animals there should be more people that do. But you seem a little freaked out that no one else is doing that he right thing. It’s ok I’m a good pet owner :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    But this is the fun puppy thread, ya’ll....

Yeah true. The not walking dogs thing really touches a nerve with me. I'll bow out now, as my passion and opinion on this will never change!

• JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Am I the only one that has seriously considered dog strollers to walk a dog that can't walk for whatever reasons? If so, pretend I didn't post this, definitely not me, nope.

I was walking around a local lake and a woman was walking one dog and had the other - a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - in a stroller. We chatted and she told me that he had a bad heart murmur and couldn't walk far, but loved to go on his 'walks'. It was so sweet.

I've never owned a dog even though I love them. I love to stop and chat to dogs and their owners. I should look at the rescue dog walking idea.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was hoping this would turn into a dog picture thread.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Yes, but they walk themselves. Unless you have an indoor cat, then yeah, the onus is 100% on the owner to provide adequate stimulation.

So the shortened lifespan, injury, disease, uncontrolled breeding, and loss of wildlife that goes hand in hand with letting your non-farm/ranch cat(s) roam stray are all acceptable to you, then.

Interesting.

Why are you so triggered?