Sweet tooth

Options
Jadu786
Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
How do most users handle their sweet tooth? Do you rarely indulge or often? Or daily calories allotted to sweets ? Please share :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Daily calories allotted for ice cream, which it's just about time for tonight :)
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Halo or Breyers ice cream pints. 280-360 for an entire pint
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I eat cookies and, lately, gumdrops. It fits into my calorie budget & ''tis the season!
  • andreaxnatalia
    andreaxnatalia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I’ve recently tried a new healthy French toast recipe which is absolutely delicious!
    40cal bread
    1 whole egg
    2 egg whites
    1tsp cinnamon
    1tsp vanilla extract
    1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop protein of your choosing (optional)
    And use 0 cal syrup it’s super yummy and tastes just like regular French toast!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Chocolate every day.

Chocolate every day while I was losing, chocolate every day now that I'm in maintenance.

Sometimes it's a little chocolate, sometimes it's a lot of chocolate, depending on what fits my calorie budget for the day. It might be chocolate protein powder and chocolate PB2 (which I put in my yogurt every morning), or it might be a protein bar, or it might just be a real dessert.

But yeah, chocolate.

Same really, I have tried to incorporate more protein based (trying to bring my protein intake up a bit) sweet stuff and fruit than I used to, but overall I try to fit some sweet stuff in most days.

At the moment it's a lot of Chocolate protein bars, or sweet omelettes with fruit and dark chocolate chips. I've also started adding fruit to my weetabix in the mornings. But I still have a bit of normal chocolate now and again.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I used to have such a sweet tooth...but when I started counting calories wayyy back in 2012 I realised that if I ate too much of that stuff I would be awfully hungry and have used up my calorie allowance. Sugary foods lost their appeal for me, I didn't want to feel hungry :/. I limited my myself when losing and even now in maintenance to 250 calories a day of sweet things.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat something sweet just about every day. Usually it's something like a Clif bar (I love the nut butter filled ones), dark chocolate, or peanut butter crackers. Sometimes it's fruit, a sweetened coffee drink, non-dairy ice cream, a homemade baked good like cupcakes or cookies, or a cocktail with juice or simple syrup. Whatever it is, it's hard to think of a day where I don't have something sweet.

My tips:

Figure out if there are times/conditions when eating something sweet may trigger cravings for you. For me, I can eat something sugary as part of lunch or in the mid-afternoon with no problems but if I have something sweet in the AM without sufficient protein, I feel hungrier and maybe shaky. So I either save it for the afternoon or eat it as part of a higher protein breakfast.

Figure out how portioning works for you. I pay a bit more to get individual servings of some foods because I know that a big open bag is harder for me to moderate. Other people have success with buying bigger bags and taking what they want to eat or even splitting big bags into individual servings right after buying it. There's no one way to approach this.

Log everything. Even if you go over. Logging the days where you don't do so well can help you spot trends and make adjustments later.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Hard candy.
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately have no self control with sugary stuff, so having just a square of chocolate is unrealistic for me, I would totally eat the whole bar! To satisfy my sweet tooth, I'll add stevia drops to tea or munch on some cacao nibs if I'm craving chocolate. Even a really good protein bar can satisfy my cravings for something sweet (the thinkthin chocolate mint ones are my fave!). Or sometimes I'll mix unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia and a few almonds into some plain greek yogurt for a low-cal/high protein dessert.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If only we could just surgically remove those suckers!
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately have no self control with sugary stuff, so having just a square of chocolate is unrealistic for me, I would totally eat the whole bar! To satisfy my sweet tooth, I'll add stevia drops to tea or munch on some cacao nibs if I'm craving chocolate. Even a really good protein bar can satisfy my cravings for something sweet (the thinkthin chocolate mint ones are my fave!). Or sometimes I'll mix unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia and a few almonds into some plain greek yogurt for a low-cal/high protein dessert.

I can't just break one square off either, but the individually wrapped squares work for me. I take one out, and eat it as slow as possible with the tiniest little bites letting it melt in my mouth. My nightly treat and very low in calories and sugar. Definitely works for me.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have no control over sweets ... so that best way for me to manage them is to abstain from them at my own home. I can have a small amount when I am away from home without going overboard though ... so it's ok to have a piece of dessert like baked sweets, candy, or even ice cream at, say, a friend's party ... but not at my own party.... cause once every one goes home the left over sweets will be gone by morning.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    simi915 wrote: »
    How do most users handle their sweet tooth? Do you rarely indulge or often? Or daily calories allotted to sweets ? Please share :)

I rarely indulge. I love sweets and found that the only way for me to control my sugar cravings was to seriously limit sweets to one treat per week. I wish I had the control to have more, but that's a slippery slope for me!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I work sweets into my calorie goal everyday. I usually have something sweet with every meal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I used to be afraid of sweet stuff, and I still take precautions - I don't buy large amounts of foods that are just too easy to overeat. But I really like it, too, so I have some occasionally. I'm just more selective. Instead of eating anything I could get my hands on, as much as possible, and as quickly as possible to ward off any second thought, only to regret it later, and feel miserable, I plan what I'm going to have and look forward to it with delight. It's no longer such a big deal; if something happens and I can't get it, it's ok, but I aim to keep my promise, if I've promised myself something.

Today I made pecan, dates and coffee pie - I'll be eating pie for six days now :blush:
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, 50% of the time I overeat sweets. It used to be 100% so I’m getting better. It’s a constant battle.
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to learn how to have some sweets in a day but limit how much I eat of them and if I can cut down - great. So far, I use about 100 calories a day in sweets, a little dark chocolate, or a few dark chocolate covered almonds with a few plain nuts..
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't keep them in the house. I'm not good with the moderation thing. Having a little, makes me want a lot. Having none is much easier to handle. Then if I'm in the mood, and really want something (typically ice cream) I'll drive and get it. Or if I want dessert while dining out(not a frequent occurrence) I'll have some.
    The closest I get to moderation is a bag of chocolate chips that I'll add to my yogurt. I keep those spaced out as well, because they don't last long.