running shoes advice needed

Options
ok so I m getting a pair of new snickers tomorrow since my old one seems are really sabotaging my running - had been in pain,tendonitis,swollen legs etc if I try to run outside. They are fine on the treadmill and I have no pain but think they have no support for outside treadmill ... so I m getting a new one , this time a better one ... any suggestions what should a slightly heavy runner that with previous ankle and tendon problems go for ? ... I ll go to a professional store for a test too to have an idea about what they might suggest me but still any advice is very welcome

Replies

• kaj82979
    Options
    I'm on my second pair of nike lunarglide 2 and loooove them! So comfortable and provide great stability.
  • annmrie
    annmrie Posts: 38
    Options
    With a wider foot, I like oasics.
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    After trying Mizuno runners I haven't gone back. I used to run in Saucony and loved them, but Mizuno exceeds them by far! They're light but very supportive. I wear the model for severe pronators and they keep me from further injuring my already wonky hips, knees, and ankles.
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was having similar problems a few years ago during the end of my soccer season. Shin splints, Achilles's tendon pain (almost crippling), and just general pain. I decided to invest in a pair of asics. They're a bit expensive, but over three years later, they are still holding me through my workouts! I can't say the pain went away completely, but definitely an improvement!
  • Jelleebean
    Jelleebean Posts: 212
    Options
    i just got a pair of Reebok Easy toners... not at the running stage of fitness yet, but, for walking, they're amazing... feels like you're walking in sand, which helps work your calf muscles... took a day to get used to, but, they're awesome, and i'm seriously considering getting another pair... this from a girl that lived in skate shoes for the better part of 7 years.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I don't have a particullarly wide foot, but Asics are really my preferred shoe. I run with inserts ( orthotics?, replacement inner soles) because In have flat feet. They took away a lot of foot disconfort.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    seems like u might need a stability shoe (and not a neutral one), but the store will assess that.
    if they recommend stability i think "brookes adrenaline" is supposed to be very good.
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My shape ups are my world. No blisters regardless of distance, no wear or tear hardly even after well over a year of HEAVY use, and a comfort level above the rest. ... I 100% say at LEAST try on a pair of genuine sketchers shape ups. Worth every penny.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I am going to get fitted for a pair of running shoes by professionals. All the runners I have talked to say you should do that for your first pair.
  • FrauHausMaus
    Options
    I have Ryka's. They're really breathable and lightweight, and give me good support for my narrow heels and high arches. I don't know if you have that problem, but I sure do
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I second the Mizunos and the Asics. I think the Mizunos are a little better, but I've been known to buy the Asics when I need a new pair of running shoes because I think they're better looking. Definitely get fitted though... and once you get fitted, they'll probably give you a couple or three to try on, and from there, it's all up to your preference. How exciting... new tennies!!
  • Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    yayyy ! new running shoes ! can t wait till tomorrow to wake up to get them ! :))) ... thanks everybody I wrote down all the suggestions and what I gathered too and I ll see tomorrow at the store ... .
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I agree on Asics.... they primarily make running shoes and have never let me down. I've recently invested in the womens gel Kayano 17 - they're fantastic! I like the Kayanos as they are a stability shoe and the extra gel in the heel of the Kayano feels great outside. They also accommodate the changes in womens arches at different periods in the month, as womens feet change in line with their hormonal cycle.

At the end of the day get fitted by a professional - and I find it helpful to try two different brands on at a time - one on each foot and walk around/use the treadmill. You'll feel a real difference!
  • dsheehan45
    dsheehan45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the running first and foremost. Having completed several marathons, I can honestly say, go to a professional store where they will size you up and put you in a shoe that is suited for your running and wear pattern. There are alot of great sneakers on the market but you have to find one that works for you. I personally love the ASICS GT 2160. good luck and happy trails
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Go to a speciality running store and get yourself fitted. See if you under pronate, over pronate or are a neutral runner. Then and only then choose the shoe.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I had ankle surgery in Dec 2009 and my podiatrist recommended Brooks. They are SOOO awesome. I can't say enough about them :):)
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    mmm snickers.... lol

Seriously though, I like Ryka or K Swiss
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I just got some snickers right now.
  • CCGwald
    CCGwald Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Leave it hands of reputable professional, especially initially. After that it is personal preference and needs. For what it is worth I prefer Asics. But while you are there don’t forget to get some decent socks. I prefer Coolmax. If you have any problems blistering cotton is horrible. They are SO Worth the extra money....Good Luck and Happy Running
  • Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    hi allz ! ... I got my shoes - I went for Asics Gel Cumulus 13 ... they are AMAZING ... . I'm neutral so I didn't need any extra support etc , however , my other second choices were a Brooks Ghost with high cushioning and then Mizuno which I forgot the name exately ... . It worth going to that store and speaking to some professionals , I really think I got a good shoe !