Grab at the store snacks

Options
Work third shift and many times don't have time to prepare. Need a list of best grab and go snacks or for a meal at work.

Replies

• sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just listened to a Half Size Me podcast interview with this guy. http://frankbeard.org/30-days-of-gas-station-food/ Lots of great ideas.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart has all kinds of things......protein bars, Oscar Meyer P3 snacks (nuts, cheese, meat, dried fruit) cottage cheese & fruit singles....or just cottage cheese singles. Greek yogurt. In the produce aisle there are ready made salads, pre-cut veggie trays big & small. Hummus snack packs. Tuna snack packs, and pouches.
  • archersport
    archersport Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I drive a lot for work and the 7 Eleven brand has the most consistent healthy options in my experience. Most stores cut their own fresh fruit & veg, and the other fresh items (sandwiches etc) are usually local with very short best-before dates (fresh and no preservatives).
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    How about getting storage containers and pre making your snacks and meals and take them with you. You can enter them into your food log and be set to go.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Fruit, Sargento's Balanced (or sweet) Blends, prepacked fruit, veggie, cheese packs, hummus and pretzel crisps, Fiber One bars,Kind fruit and nut bars, 100% fruit strips, pre-boiled eggs
    In a pinch McDonald's folded egg (kind they use in biscuit sandwiches is 90 cal, candian bacon 15. Two eggs is a decent breakfast. Egg mcmuffin with ham no cheese, cheeseburger or mchicken sandwich no Mayo, are all about 300-320 and surprisingly filling on thier own.
  • Anotherone8
    Anotherone8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to grab nuts when I worked nights.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Work third shift and many times don't have time to prepare. Need a list of best grab and go snacks or for a meal at work.

A sandwich takes just a couple of minutes to make.
    Yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit or vegetables, fruit cups, bagel, granola bar, cereal, premade salads, sausage, beef jerky, trail mix, tuna, hummus

• sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I used to grab nuts when I worked nights.

Oh that just sounds so wrong out of context... lol.

With that said, nuts are a great on the go snacking options - recommend pre-weighing them though as they are calorie-dense!

• jessicamanigault7
    Options
    The 100 calorie almond packs paired with cheesesticks, fruit, or dried fruit
  • andreaxnatalia
    andreaxnatalia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Food prep is key! I always make my lunch the night before and my dinner the morning of. As for snacks I usually like to have Quaker Rice Cakes they come in many different flavors. Personally I like the caramel one and they’re only 50cal! It’s a perfect snack If you have a sweet tooth. I also enjoy baby carrots with hummus usuallyill pair that snack with my lunch or dinner. Finally I have my protein bars that I eat on my way to the gym from work. They’re called power bars and come in many different flavors. They literally taste like waffle cookies and are super yummy, they’re 205 cal and give me the extra push of energy I need to go to the gym after work!
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I like having Wasabi Peas and Dry Roasted Sunflower Seeds around. I have a scale at my desk at work, so I just weigh them and eat them. The peas are great for "munching" slowly when things are slow and you need something to do. I'm not a huge nut fan. String Cheese is great, and Laughing Cow Cheese (or even BabyBels) are great too with a serving of Ritz Crackers.

Fruit travels well, especially apples and bananas. But the secret to all this stuff is to weigh them and log them.

Meal prep works too - Pintrest has TONs of great ideas on meal prep.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I meal prep once a week for the entire week.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you need to be able to grab something at a gas station or convenience store, maybe go for jerky, nuts, protein bars, or dried fruit.

However, you can have some easy grab-and-go items on hand at home or in your car, like Tuna Pouches, Fresh Fruit, pre-prepped sandwiches, string cheese, boiled and peeled eggs, or trailmix.