Real butter vs. Margarine? Which is healthier?

carlxo21
carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
edited September 30 in Food and Nutrition
I know margarine is lower cal. But I heard there are chemicals and preservatives in it that are NOT good for you.

Anybody know about this?
Is there such thing as a good choice for butter? My ideal would be REAL butter that is light/lower calorie and not full of chemicals.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    butter
  • I don't know if its healthier or not, but I switched to real butter a few years ago after learning that vegetable oils can cause acne. Plus, I like the richness that real butter adds to a dish, even if its just a little.
  • I use brummel and brown yogurt spread! It's low cal and relatively healthy compared to other options
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    REAL BUTTER!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    I NEVER use margarine. Butter came first and tastes best. of course, I use it sparingly but I never use margarine and I never use 'processed cheese food' - I TRY as much as I can to use REAL ingredients. I believe it tastes better & I almost always get compliments on my food.
    ps I never eat 'chocolate flavor' either -- real chocolate or nothing for me - why waste calories?
  • Bellum24
    Bellum24 Posts: 106 Member
    I believe it all depends in what you are trying to do lose weight or get healthy, yes they seem like the same thing but a lot of low fat foods are full of chemicals, I like to use more natural products in moderation for the best results
  • jbinga
    jbinga Posts: 38 Member
    BUTTER!
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    In moderation - spreadable butter with oiive oil is a good choice.
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    100% real butter.... margarine scares me.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member

Yes, why is it so yellow?
  • Bellum24
    Bellum24 Posts: 106 Member

Yes, why is it so yellow?

Why does it get all oily when it sits out "sometimes" hahhaa
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Butter. It's natural after all. Margarine is just chemicals so the body has a harder time in dealing with them. At least that's how I see it =]
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Oh my. I better stop buying cheap margarine...
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    real food is always going to be better than fake food in my book. I rarely use butter, but I wouldn't touch margarine with a 10ft pole
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    I buy olive oil spread, or avocado spread :)
  • MicheleBartlett
    MicheleBartlett Posts: 2 Member
    A dietician told me to cream together (use a blender or mixer) softened butter and olive oil, 1/2 cup of each. Not only does the butter stay soft in the fridge, it's better for you than margarine.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Butter. HANDS DOWN! I only have it now when I can afford the extra calories. Good thing I'm pretty disciplined now because I love me some butter!
  • Jefster
    Jefster Posts: 48 Member
    Margarine known as Oleo used to be "White" and include yellow "coloring" packets to mix in, to give it that "butter like" color.

From WikiPedia:

"Margarine naturally appears white, or almost white, and by forbidding the addition of artificial coloring agents, legislators in some jurisdictions found that they could protect their dairy industries by discouraging the consumption of margarine. Bans on adding color became commonplace in the U.S., Australasia and Canada and, in some cases, those bans endured for almost 100 years. It did not become legal to sell colored margarine in Australia, for example, until the 1960s."

As early as 1877, the first United States (U.S.) states had passed laws to restrict the sale and labeling of margarine. By the mid-1880s, the U.S. federal government had introduced a tax of two cents per pound, and manufacturers needed an expensive license to make or sell the product. Individual states began to require the clear labeling of margarine. The color bans, drafted by the butter lobby, began in the dairy states of New York and New Jersey. In several states, legislatures enacted laws to require margarine manufacturers to add pink colorings to make the product look unpalatable,[9] but the Supreme Court struck down New Hampshire's law and overruled these measures in Collins v. New Hampshire, 171 U.S. 30 (1898).

By the start of the 20th century, eight out of ten Americans could not buy yellow margarine, and those that could had to pay a hefty tax on it. Bootleg colored margarine became common, and manufacturers began to supply food-coloring capsules so that the consumer could knead the yellow color into margarine before serving it. Nevertheless, the regulations and taxes had a significant effect: the 1902 restrictions on margarine color, for example, cut annual U.S. consumption from 120 million to 48 million pounds (60,000 to 24,000 tons). However, by the end of the 1910s, it had become more popular than ever[citation needed].

Stick with butter. Your body needs the animal fats, I prefer European style butter as well.

Brummel and Brown is delicious though :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I'd rather eat real butter every now and again than margarine. I don't have either very often.

If you find a "light" version of butter or margarine - check the ingredients list. You might find that it has lots of extra additions that you'd rather not eat, or that it has been whipped up with water so it spreads further (but makes your toast soggy).
This discussion has been closed.