Advice needed- Anxiety medication and weight gain

Options
So… as many of you know, I have posted here several times about my struggles with anxiety. I was on meds for about 3 years and was feeling good but I gained weight from it. I mean a lot of weight. 30lbs to be exact. So what was helping me at the time was also making me depressed. Last year I made it a point to come off the meds. I wanted to get back to my weight that I had. This past September , I got down zero pills for the month. It was the time to come off completely. For 2 months I was fine and zero issues. It wasn’t until I got that tooth infection and I had to remove my molar. With that, I was given an antibiotic that enhanced my anxiety 10 fold. I was feeling off, shaky and at times afraid of getting sick. Anxiety came back. I had an instance where I was gonna have a panic attack. This past weekend, I had to have a come to jesus moment with myself. Do I go back on the meds, feel better, and gain weight. Or do I stay off the meds, continue to lose weight, and live a life of misery? My family was too important to me to be selfish. I went back. After speaking to my doc, I was given 5mgs of Lexapro(ecitalophram). Im on my 5th day of it and while I know the effects of the meds haven’t come on full blown, I am beginning to feel better and less like 2 weeks ago.

Why am I posting this here? I know that gaining weight can sometimes happen with these meds. According to the doc, there is a chemical in the medicine that does make you gain weight but at most 5 lbs. So I ask any of you who are on the medicine or any med for anxiety and depression, have you lost weight after gaining from the meds? I want to know that there is at least a chance to lose weight while on the meds.

Thanks and I appreciate any advice.

Replies

• ecsumaria
    ecsumaria Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes you definitely can! I lost a significant amount of weight while on medications for mood. When I came off my medications I thought I would lose weight more easily but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Someone I am close with lost a ton of weight on lexapro, may just take a little extra work. Don't forget mental health is just as important as physical health! Best of luck to you! <3
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I want to start off by saying mental health is the most important, so try to keep that in the back of your mind at all times. I'm on anxiety meds as well and have noticed some fluctuations with my weight since I've started. I would say maintenance is key. Make sure you're logging your foods to keep you on track and at least to stop any further gains. Just being able to see what you're putting into your body and being able to plan ahead is helpful for me. Feeling better comes first! I wish you all the best. :)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    They simply tend to make you eat more - the weight isn't magically gained from the pills - it's gained from eating more because the meds either make you hungrier or curb your ability to say "no" to certain foods.

It is possible to regulate your weight while on medications that have the side effect of "weight gain," it just takes a bit more focus and determination.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    meds themselves wont make you gain fat, maybe retain water, thereby increasing scale weight. What some meds do is lower your metabolism, making it easier to gain fat due to having lower maintenance calories. The way you combat non-water weight gain is by lowering your caloric intake. If you gain, then lower it more.

Good luck, you got this!
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    Options
    Hi Raven, first of all I just wanna say a big congratulations on deciding you needed to go back on your meds. As a current SSRI-user I know how hard it is to make that decision. From my personal experience (40mg citalopram/day), it is certainly possible to lose weight on SSRIs, and in my case stopping my meds at the wrong time would inevitably lead to me putting on weight instead as my activity would plummet due to not wanting to leave the house and I'd stop eating well and start eating junk instead! At least when I am on the medication, I can manage any increased hunger by feeding it healthy foods rather than grabbing chocolate or ice cream!

If you need the meds, then stay on them. Weight loss is certainly possible, and what is the point losing weight if you hate life and won't enjoy the "new you" any way??

Good luck, you can do this. Just take it slowly, one step at a time, one bite at a time.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The medicine itself doesn't make you gain weight, it just gives you a voracious appetite. Sometimes you can resist and you won't gain, can even lose, and sometimes it's too strong and you give in. (Ask me how I know.)

I hope they also have you a short-term anxiety medicine.

If the medicine is helping you, that's probably the most important thing right now. Anxiety and depression are horrible things, I'm sorry anybody has to deal with them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you are watching your calorie intake and weighing yourself regularly to make adnustments then I think you can manage your weight even taking medication. If your appetite increases eat lower calorie foods.
    Was this the medication you were on before or something different?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    One more thing. If you're going to be gaining weight, start lifting heavy if you don't already. That way some of your weight gain is muscle.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    I started on Lexapro a couple months ago, 5 milligrams. Now I'm up to 10 milligrams. I've continued to lose weight while on this medication.

P.S. warm thoughts to you, mental illness is the worst. I hope lexapro helps you.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Lexapro user here for anxiety, 20mg.

I noticed that once I started medicating, I felt better, which means I socialized more, which means I tended to eat more out.

However, I also was able to sleep better (my anxiousness caused me to stay up most the night), go to the gym because I felt better about myself, etc. so it all evened out.

I have actually lost over 40 pounds on the Lexapro. Stuff saved my life. Anyone with panic attacks and random bouts of 'freaking out' over not being able to find a pair of socks understands.