Supplements: to track or not to track?

Options
2»

Replies

• babybuddha06
    babybuddha06 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t disregard the food choice, however, I could the supplement since it is optional and doesn’t have the same impact on my body like my food choices.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t disregard the food choice, however, I could the supplement since it is optional and doesn’t have the same impact on my body like my food choices.

Your initial question was about logging supplements. Collagen has calories, and is a source of protein - why would you not log it? It contributes to your protein intake and calorie intake.
  • babybuddha06
    babybuddha06 Posts: 28 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Initially, I was curious to know if it was important to track or not because I have read some people do and some people don’t. I honestly wanted to know because if I was already meeting my nutrition goals and staying at a deficit, how much that mattered and/or if it actually did matter.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don’t track them because I want to incentivize taking them. (Although logging them could help you remember to take your supplements.... hmmm.) I usually leave room in my caloric calculation for supplements/etc to be “free”.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ainar wrote: »
    Ainar wrote: »
    When I used to take supplements that have "a lot" of calories, such as fish oil or protein powder, then I tracked them. Even one scoop of protein powder has like 35 calories. And if you take like three scoops of it plus maybe some fish oil and who know what else herbal nutrition powder or whatever then that might add to 200 calories or more. That's some pretty significant amount in my opinion. Obviously I would not track calories of multivitamin haha. But yea, depends from what supplement. And also how much. I mean, if all you add is one scoop of protein powder then that 35 cals might not make much of a difference.

Protein powder, whilst called a "supplement", falls more in the category of food to me... But that would be logged too. (what sort of protein has a 35 cal scoop?)
    Well for me personally anything that is heavily processed does not count as food...

I remember I used to take protein powder which had 35 calories per scoop. Don't remember the brand anymore. I also used some who had 130 cals per scoop. Just kinda used the lowest example to show how even small amounts can add up ya know.

You took a protein supplement that only had 8 grams of protein?