Need advice regarding cutting or bulking.

Options
Thanks for helping me out guys, here is one of my last queries which I want to get answered.

I am 22 yrs old male, height- 170 cm, weight- 64.7 kg, body fat% 14.6, TDEE is 2500 cal. I am skinny fat (arms skinny, stomach little bit out). I want to get my stomach flat, not 4 or 6 pack abs for now but the problem is my muscle mass is not there yet in other parts of body (arms, chest etc). So if I go for 10% BF it will lead to too much skinny arms won't it?

I have decided to bulk by going above 200-300 cal from my maintenance calorie. I want to get advice from a person who might have been in the same shoes as me or by anyone knowledgeable about this. If I go above 200-300 cal and I lift weights twice a week, will it lead to increase in muscle mass ( chest, arms etc) and also stomach fat?

I am using this training program
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list

Started following this program from last week, also doing abs exercise on Monday Wednesday and Saturday and cardio exercises are kept at minimum. Doing cable crunches, chair leg raise, air bicycle, planks, push ups and diamond pushups.

Also although I have been going to gym for past 3 months but was lifting once a week only and also wasn't following progressive overload as my gym trainer wasn't giving good program unless I hired him for personal training, so stumbled upon this training program above which I liked. So this is first time I am following a program seriously. Also I love going to gym 6 days a week that is one of the reason why I followed this linear progression based program.

Thanks for feedback and sorry for bad grammar.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Your thought of bulking now makes sense, but your programming at 2 days/week does not match up with that goal. If you like the gym 6 days per week, why are you only lifting twice???

Also, Ab exercises will not help flatten your stomach or help you lose fat in that area. You would be better served by using that time to lift more, add a third (if doing full body) or fourth day (if doing a split) of lifting if your goal is to bulk!

• sr_1995
    sr_1995 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Your thought of bulking now makes sense, but your programming at 2 days/week does not match up with that goal. If you like the gym 6 days per week, why are you only lifting twice???

Also, Ab exercises will not help flatten your stomach or help you lose fat in that area. You would be better served by using that time to lift more, add a third (if doing full body) or fourth day (if doing a split) of lifting if your goal is to bulk!

But the program is sort of PPL program, and in this program I am lifting every major compound lift twice (deadlift, squat, bench press etc). I think it's enough though isn't it?
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

But the program is sort of PPL program, and in this program I am lifting every major compound lift twice (deadlift, squat, bench press etc). I think it's enough though isn't it?

If you're lifting 6 days per week, yes.

You're young and full of testosterone. Make sure those 200-300 calories over TDEE are protein sources and you'll do fine. Follow your programming and you'll put on muscle.

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    sr_1995 wrote: »

I hit every major compound lift twice a week and I lift 7 days a week. Lift more and eat more.

I'd recommend adding about 100 calories per day every week until the scale is going up at the speed you want it to. When I'm bulking, I add almost all carbs.
  • erickirb
    edited December 2017
    Options

How are you running the program? Do you do all exercises in one day and do that twice? If you do all exercises in one day, that would be too much for your central nervous system. Pick a program you like and follow it as programed. If you like push/pull maybe check out PHUL does push and pull, but puts leg exercises in either of those days and is good for 3-4 days/week.

The program you are running is meant to be 6 days one day for 2 push days, 2 pull days, and 2 leg days, you probably could do 3 days/week and hit each exercise once, but if you are doing 3 days/week I would suggest stronglifts instead.

• joemac1988
    Options

How are you running the program? Do you do all exercises in one day and do that twice? If you do all exercises in one day, that would be too much for your central nervous system. Pick a program you like and follow it as programed. If you like push/pull maybe check out PHUL does push and pull, but puts leg exercises in either of those days and is good for 3-4 days/week.

The program you are running is meant to be 6 days one day for 2 push days, 2 pull days, and 2 leg days, you probably could do 3 days/week and hit each exercise once, but if you are doing 3 days/week I would suggest stronglifts instead.

Hey man, Google DUP (daily undulating periodization). I haven't tried it so can't comment but it has you squat, bench and deadlift on the same day, multiple times a week I think. I'm not saying you're wrong about the CNS, just thought you might be interested.
  • erickirb
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »

Hey man, Google DUP (daily undulating periodization). I haven't tried it so can't comment but it has you squat, bench and deadlift on the same day, multiple times a week I think. I'm not saying you're wrong about the CNS, just thought you might be interested.

True, but that only has you do the three big lifts those days, accessory lifts are a different day on their own. My comment has to do with the OP doing all exercises in this program in one day and doing that day twice/week. Instead of 3 exercises a day that would be 16 exercises!
  • joemac1988
    Options

True, but that only has you do the three big lifts those days, accessory lifts are a different day on their own. My comment has to do with the OP doing all exercises in this program in one day and doing that day twice/week. Instead of 3 exercises a day that would be 16 exercises!

Gotcha. Wasn't so much referencing your comment to the OP as just giving a heads up about the program, just if you were interested. I just love reading about different programs.
  • erickirb
    Options

Gotcha. Wasn't so much referencing your comment to the OP as just giving a heads up about the program, just if you were interested. I just love reading about different programs.

Thanks man. I did take a look at that programming some time ago, and incorporated some of the aspects for a little while, but switched to PHUL, as I found playing sports once a week I was never recovered enough for one or the other.
  • sr_1995
    Options
    No I don't do all the major lifts on the same day. Today was leg day and I did squats. Tomorrow is push day and gonna do deadlift. On pull day I do bench press and overhead press. They are divided equally so that I can do all the lifts twice weekly.
  • erickirb
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No I don't do all the major lifts on the same day. Today was leg day and I did squats. Tomorrow is push day and gonna do deadlift. On pull day I do bench press and overhead press. They are divided equally so that I can do all the lifts twice weekly.

Then you really are not following the program! just doing some of the exercise that the program includes?

I would suggest you look at Starting strength, or strong lifts, it can be done 2 days/week instead of the 3 suggested
  • sr_1995
    edited December 2017
    Options

Then you really are not following the program! just doing some of the exercise that the program includes?

I would suggest you look at Starting strength, or strong lifts, it can be done 2 days/week instead of the 3 suggested

Noooooo is talking about just the major lifts man. I guess your Second comment left me a little bit confused
  • erickirb
    Options

Noooooo is talking about just the major lifts man. I guess your Second comment left me a little bit confused

What I am saying is that if you are doing a 6 day a week program over 2 days then you are not following the program at all, nd would be better suited to follow a program that lines up with 2 days per week better than this one!
  • sr_1995
    Options

What I am saying is that if you are doing a 6 day a week program over 2 days then you are not following the program at all, nd would be better suited to follow a program that lines up with 2 days per week better than this one!

I AM following this 6 day program over 6 days a week bro.
  • erickirb
    edited December 2017
    Options

Then you should be good. I was going by what you said here:

"I have decided to bulk by going above 200-300 cal from my maintenance calorie. I want to get advice from a person who might have been in the same shoes as me or by anyone knowledgeable about this. If I go above 200-300 cal and I lift weights twice a week, will it lead to increase in muscle mass ( chest, arms etc) and also stomach fat?"

See the bolded, you mentioned only lifting twice/week. I take it your meant working each muscle group twice/week then?
  • sr_1995
    Options

Then you should be good. I was going by what you said here "I have decided to bulk by going above 200-300 cal from my maintenance calorie. I want to get advice from a person who might have been in the same shoes as me or by anyone knowledgeable about this. If I go above 200-300 cal and I lift weights twice a week, will it lead to increase in muscle mass ( chest, arms etc) and also stomach fat?"

See the bolded, you mentioned only lifting twice/week. I take it your meant working each muscle group twice/week then?

Yeah sorry my bad I was talking about the major lifting exercises (squats, deadlifts etc)