Calling All New Runners

Options
I'm a new runner- started in mid September- after being pretty sedentary (hiking on the weekends, sitting on my butt all week). When I started, I couldn't run a mile. Now I've worked my way up to 3.25 miles.

I live in Maine, so running is going to be a challenge for the next few months, but I'll run as much as I can.

Anybody else out there new to running? I sometimes feel a little intimidated reading posts by marathoners and ultramarathoners... I have yet to run my first 5k race. Anybody else interested in having a place to talk to other new runners about the rewards and challenges of getting started with running?

Replies

• bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Im only a wanna be jogger. I would like to be able to jog a 5k eventually but right now, i cant even jog 50 feet without feeling like I'm dying. How did you work up to the 3 miles?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    There's a group here for the Couch to 5K (C25K) program. Lots of beginner runners there. Check it out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bvff35 wrote: »
    Im only a wanna be jogger. I would like to be able to jog a 5k eventually but right now, i cant even jog 50 feet without feeling like I'm dying. How did you work up to the 3 miles?

I'm working with a friend who's coaching me. I started slowly... alternating walking and jogging. It took me two months to work up to running a mile. I'm still slow, but my endurance is improving. You can do it!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3, day 2 of the C25K. Running 3 minutes is kicking my a--. But I love the accomplished feeling afterwards. I want to be able to run a mile outside come Spring. I never have in my life been able to run even close to that. Best of luck to all beginners.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    New runner here. I just started running on November 20, 2017. Right now I am close to running 5 minutes without stopping. Add me as a friend
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, I'm a new runner (jogger) as well. I started in August, or maybe September, I can't remember. I could hardly run 3 minutes to begin with (let alone the week it goes to 5-that was tough!) and after finishing the Couch to 5K program, I can run 4+ miles at a time. I've moved on to the 10K portion of the program now. I injured my ankle slightly last week running on the treadmill though (instead of outside like I prefer) so I'm giving it a good weeks rest before I start running again. Hopefully tomorrow I'll give it a try and it will be better because I'm missing my runs.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a new runner (jogger) as well. I started in August, or maybe September, I can't remember. I could hardly run 3 minutes to begin with (let alone the week it goes to 5-that was tough!) and after finishing the Couch to 5K program, I can run 4+ miles at a time. I've moved on to the 10K portion of the program now.

That's awesome! I'm sorry about your ankle - you're so right to give it a good long rest.
    How long did it take you to build up to 4+ from your 5k program? I started to push on toward 4, but I was pushing a little too hard and my hips suffered. I'm going to try to build up to 3.5, now that I'm rested.