Starting over. Hopeful.

Options
I began using MFP in May, at 145.1, 5’3”. I lost 7 pounds. Then plateaued forever them gained it back.

Today I am starting over. I am going to nix alcohol as I think that’s def working against me. I am going to find a few new meal prep options. I am going to research healthy kid friendly dinner options too. I am also adding in an additional 32 ounces of water to my usual 70, (@100 oz) since I know I need more water!

Any advice or supportive encouragement is appreciated.

The reason I want to be successful this time: I’m tired of circular thoughts in my head about needing to be healthier; I want to be a good example for my daughters; I want to feel more confident and clear headed as I believe that will alleviate some of the depressive and anxious feels I’ve had for a while.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    In your long list of measures, there is no mention of "calories"? To lose weight, you have to eat less - that's the only thing you have to do, but also the one thing you absolutely have to do. Keeping track of calories in is an effective way to eat less without compromizing quality of life. MFP lets you do that, for free, and easily, if you do it correctly.
  • Amee2017
    Amee2017 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In your long list of measures, there is no mention of "calories"? To lose weight, you have to eat less - that's the only thing you have to do, but also the one thing you absolutely have to do. Keeping track of calories in is an effective way to eat less without compromizing quality of life. MFP lets you do that, for free, and easily, if you do it correctly.

Thanks - regarding calories...

My TDEE is 1769. So I think if I aim for 1500 cals is lose 1 lb a week? And if I aim for 1250, I’d lose about 2?
  • Amee2017
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Do you have a digital food scale? :)

I have a scale that I have used to weigh my mail orders and things - but no I have not used a scale. Is that a key to success also? It’s worked for you?

Thanks

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The good news is you know it can be done and you know how to do it...you just have to stick to it! We have similar stats. I started around 143-145, and I'm 5'4". I did a lot of yoga and pilates, which toned me up, and ate a lot of cauliflower rice-chicken stir-fry...I tend to stay just south of 130----between 127-129. I never weighed food but tracked everything and stayed away from processed, empty calorie-type foods like crackers and breads. I still eat them, just not every day! For me, it's a combo of the kitchen and exercise. What is tough is you're already at a healthy weight, and it seems (not sure if it's been proven) harder to lose at that stage. Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Amee2017 wrote: »

Thanks - regarding calories...

My TDEE is 1769. So I think if I aim for 1500 cals is lose 1 lb a week? And if I aim for 1250, I’d lose about 2?
    To lose 1 pound in a week, you have to eat 500 calories below TDEE every day. If your TDEE is 1769, you don't have a lot to lose, so it will be slow. Eating 1500 calories and losing half a pound per week, sounds realistic, healthy, effective and reasonable. Just to avoid messing things up, what's your height and weight?

I have a scale that I have used to weigh my mail orders and things - but no I have not used a scale. Is that a key to success also? It’s worked for you?
    If you're counting calories, a food scale is more or less essential - it's the only way you can be sure you're eating the calories you think you are. But you also have to make sure you're logging the same item you're eating, when you pick one from the database.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks

It's definitely very helpful. There is a huge difference in calories between eyeballing and measuring with a scale - it's very easy to overeat with eye-balling (or even just using measuring cups). The more accurate you are with your tracking, the more reliable your results will be.

Most people on MFP use a digital scale for solids, and measuring cups/spoons for liquids.

If your TDEE is 1769, you'd want to eat 1269 every day to lose approx. a 1lbs a week. A pound of fat weighs about 3500 - divide that by 7 (a week), and you get 500. (1769-500=1269). Hope that helps.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I am also starting over here. I started several years ago at 160(5'4") and lost very nearly 40 pounds. Then I gained back 30 at a year and a half of a sedative job. I was starting to get depressed, and I was never happy with myself, so I went back to a physical job gave myself 2 months of unrestricted eating to adjust to the labor and gain the muscle I needed. Now I'm back with all the keys in place for success and I'm feeling really good about it.
  • Amee2017
    Options
    I am also starting over here. I started several years ago at 160(5'4") and lost very nearly 40 pounds. Then I gained back 30 at a year and a half of a sedative job. I was starting to get depressed, and I was never happy with myself, so I went back to a physical job gave myself 2 months of unrestricted eating to adjust to the labor and gain the muscle I needed. Now I'm back with all the keys in place for success and I'm feeling really good about it.
    I’m psyched for you! Sounds like you are def on your way to success!!