Keto Lifestyle

Options
Has anyone tried or started the Keto lifestyle and moved away from the Standard American Diet aka SAD.

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    There are about a million posts on here about Keto. Try the search function and you will find more info than you could possibly ever want. And it will be much faster.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Keto deserves some research before jumping in. Do yourself a favor and look into it OUTSIDE of MFP before determining it's what you want to do.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    I did keto for a year. Dropped weight at a good pace, lower hunger levels, stable energy.

But ultimately I found it too restrictive, I just really like carbs. I started giving myself weekly 'cheat meals' to indulge on all the foods I missed, which would end with me having an upset stomach and feeling like crap until the next day. I decided to stop doing keto and regained all the weight I lost.

As far as weight loss goes, all that matters is calories. You don't need to cut out any foods. It's simple and easy to maintain forever.

If you don't like bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, desserts... then by all means, it may just work for you. But it wasn't sustainable for me.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but if you have weekly 'cheat meals', that, by definition, isn't keto; you're not reaching ketosis. Kinda like saying I'm vegan but eat bacon on the weekends...

I don't find comparing keto to veganism is very useful. Keto is a diet, veganism is an ethical position. It's like comparing apples to oranges and it doesn't do justice to either.

Besides, in the post you're responding to we have no idea *when* in the year of keto this person began doing their weekly "cheat meals." It's entirely possible that there was a lengthy period where they were in ketosis consistently and began doing exceptions towards the end of the period. We just can't tell from what is written so declaring they were never on keto seems too hasty.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I did keto for a year. Dropped weight at a good pace, lower hunger levels, stable energy.

But ultimately I found it too restrictive, I just really like carbs. I started giving myself weekly 'cheat meals' to indulge on all the foods I missed, which would end with me having an upset stomach and feeling like crap until the next day. I decided to stop doing keto and regained all the weight I lost.

As far as weight loss goes, all that matters is calories. You don't need to cut out any foods. It's simple and easy to maintain forever.

If you don't like bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, desserts... then by all means, it may just work for you. But it wasn't sustainable for me.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but if you have weekly 'cheat meals', that, by definition, isn't keto; you're not reaching ketosis. Kinda like saying I'm vegan but eat bacon on the weekends...

Some people are keto purists, others have occasional cheat meals, or practice TKD or CKD. It's pretty common in the keto community. Sure, with cheat meals, you're not in a constant state of ketosis, but you are for most of the time. I started without cheat meals but I slowly missed carbs more and more and tried adding cheat meals to help my cravings.
  • joemac1988
    Options

I don't find comparing keto to veganism is very useful. Keto is a diet, veganism is an ethical position. It's like comparing apples to oranges and it doesn't do justice to either.

Besides, in the post you're responding to we have no idea *when* in the year of keto this person began doing their weekly "cheat meals." It's entirely possible that there was a lengthy period where they were in ketosis consistently and began doing exceptions towards the end of the period. We just can't tell from what is written so declaring they were never on keto seems too hasty.

Well hey, I feel like comparing apples and oranges; try and stop me :).

I don't recall where I said they were never on keto...maybe you could helpfully point that out to me? What I said was if you're having weekly cheat meals, that's not keto. Sure, maybe 50 out of 52 weeks they did it perfectly. I was referring to the 2 where cheat meals occurred.

I trust this satisfies you.
  • joemac1988
    Options

Some people are keto purists, others have occasional cheat meals, or practice TKD or CKD. It's pretty common in the keto community. Sure, with cheat meals, you're not in a constant state of ketosis, but you are for most of the time. I started without cheat meals but I slowly missed carbs more and more and tried adding cheat meals to help my cravings.

What I'm pointing out is keto IS purist. People often confuse low-carb diets with keto. Not the same thing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I don't recall where I said they were never on keto...maybe you could helpfully point that out to me? What I said was if you're having weekly cheat meals, that's not keto. Sure, maybe 50 out of 52 weeks they did it perfectly. I was referring to the 2 where cheat meals occurred.

Someone shared their experience and you responded with this: "if you have weekly 'cheat meals', that, by definition, isn't keto."

If you agreed that they were on keto and it didn't work for them and their needs, not sure why you even felt the need to respond. If you think they were on keto and you simply have a potential disagreement about the duration of the period, what's the point of even bringing that up?

Don't worry yourself about my satisfaction.
  • joemac1988
    Options

What I'm pointing out is keto IS purist. People often confuse low-carb diets with keto. Not the same thing.

So me eating 20g or fewer net carbs for the majority a year doesn't qualify me to share my keto experience? Good lord.

Not at all; share away. Your initial response didn't indicate how long the cheat meals were for...I was simply pointing out that Keto doesn't allow for that.

I'm not trying to pick on you, just using what you said to illustrate a point.
  • joemac1988
    Options

Someone shared their experience and you responded with this: "if you have weekly 'cheat meals', that, by definition, isn't keto."

If you agreed that they were on keto and it didn't work for them and their needs, not sure why you even felt the need to respond. If you think they were on keto and you simply have a potential disagreement about the duration of the period, what's the point of even bringing that up?

Ok, I'm gonna compare some more fruits for ya...that's like saying "Well sure he murdered someone, what about all those other days he DIDN'T kill someone??". Lol

So in your mind, if someone does keto for 10 years, then decides they want to have pizza with their family for dinner one night, then immediately returns to their keto lifestyle for the rest of their life... they're NOT doing keto?

Want me to provide a timeline of when I was strict keto and when I started having cheat meals once a month, then once a week? Maybe you can tell me when exactly I stopped qualifying?

No, that's not what you said though! I quote "But ultimately I found it too restrictive, I just really like carbs. I started giving myself weekly 'cheat meals". You said that with no indication of when it started. So one time over 10 years is a world away from weekly cheat meals which I'm sure you'd agree with.

Your initial response indicated that you thought you were still doing keto while incorporating weekly cheat meals. Don't blame me if you worded it unclear.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto, but I also don't eat the SAD. For me, keto would be a non-starter. Things like beans and lentils and potatoes are some of my favorite foods...I certainly wouldn't be enjoying this Italian sausage stuffed red pepper with a wild rice/quinoa blend, mushrooms, and squash if I was doing keto.

I also don't think I could stomach the copious amounts of fat that are consumed on keto...but some people enjoy eating that way.

When I cut weight, I typically do lower carbs but that's namely because my protein and fat stays pretty consistent regardless of my weight management objectives.

You also may consider that just doing low or lower carb vs basically no carb to be a more palatable option.

Do your research...determine whether or not you can actually eat in a certain way for a sustained period of time. Many people who do keto and other diets do so not just for losing weight, but into perpetuity as a way of eating. I've been in maintenance for years, and I still eat the same as when i was losing...just a few hundred more calories.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Ok, I'm gonna compare some more fruits for ya...that's like saying "Well sure he murdered someone, what about all those other days he DIDN'T kill someone??". Lol

So in your mind, if someone does keto for 10 years, then decides they want to have pizza with their family for dinner one night, then immediately returns to their keto lifestyle for the rest of their life... they're NOT doing keto?

Want me to provide a timeline of when I was strict keto and when I started having cheat meals once a month, then once a week? Maybe you can tell me when exactly I stopped qualifying?

No, that's not what you said though! I quote "But ultimately I found it too restrictive, I just really like carbs. I started giving myself weekly 'cheat meals". You said that with no indication of when it started. So one time over 10 years is a world away from weekly cheat meals which I'm sure you'd agree with.

Your initial response indicated that you thought you were still doing keto while incorporating weekly cheat meals. Don't blame me if you worded it unclear.

I didn't think I needed to provide a strict timeline while sharing my anecdotal experience.

What about TKD and CKD? Those are forms of a 'keto diet' that feature regular carb-loading. There's plenty of info on them out there.

I think you're assuming that "being in a constant state of nutritional ketosis" and "keto diet" are the exact same thing with no room for variation.
  • joemac1988
    Options

I didn't think I needed to provide a strict timeline while sharing my anecdotal experience.

What about TKD and CKD? Those are forms of a 'keto diet' that feature regular carb-loading. There's plenty of info on them out there.

I think you're assuming that "being in a constant state of nutritional ketosis" and "keto diet" are the exact same thing with no room for variation.

All I'm saying is keto doesn't allow for weekly cheat meals.