Air Fryer?

Options
Hey everyone! This is my first post and I was hoping you could give me some answers on Air Fryers. My friend swears by his, but I'm not convinced. He made some chicken tenders with it the other day, and they tasted ok, but it doesn't really seem worth the hassle (or money). It seems obvious that baked or grilled chicken is already healthier, and it never gets old for me. I guess my question is: Is it really that much healthier than regular fried foods? I don't plan on getting one since I am not a big fan of fried foods, and they are expensive anyway, but I was just curious I guess. Thanks!!

Replies

• Chrisalt333
    Chrisalt333 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bet asparagus, bell peppers, zucchini etc. would taste good. I didn't think about that. I've only tried the chicken he made and it was just dry and bland. He's not a very good cook though, soooo....
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with the air fryer, but I have no space for more "stuff" anyway. I use my wok for just about everything on the stove. For stir fries, sautés, or other lightly fried foods I use very small amounts of oil ranging from a quick spray/season the pan to less than a tablespoon per portion. Occasionally I still "deep fry" in my wok to make good old fish and chips, tempura shrimp, or homemade chicken nuggets. I weigh the oil before and after and count the calories it soaks up. Needless to say, I only eat small portions of those kinds of foods, but do enjoy them once in awhile and they are family favorites. I'm not sure they would be the same without oil. I don't even like oven baked fries or tater tots unless I shake them in oil first. Same goes for popcorn which I also pop in my wok. I only use a tablespoon per batch, but don't like air-popped because it is so dry.
  • zara1296
    zara1296 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use my air fryer almost every night! Deff worth it and much less calories.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Bought an Air Fryer last week. Nuwave 6 Quart Air Fryer. Love fried foods but not the oil.

Friday Night I just wanted to test it out, so I quartered some fingerling potatoes lengthwise. Popped them in the microwave until they were almost tender then added about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and some garlic seasoning. Heated in Air Fryer at 360 for 10 minutes. Came out perfect. Just like steak fries.

Saturday night I decided on Fettuccine Alfredo for dinner. Threw the Sausages (whole -- skin removed), Sliced Red Peppers and Mushrooms in the Air Fryer, while I cooked the sauce and the pasta. Same scenario as above. Sausage came out crusty on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. Peppers and Mushrooms were perfect.

Sunday Night I decided to try something bigger. Took 4 large Chicken Breasts, brushed on a little vegetable oil and dredged in Italian Bread Crumbs that I had seasoned with Garlic. 360 Degrees for 25 minutes. Came out crusty on the outside and tender and moist on the inside.

I BBQ a lot, but with winter coming on, this appears to be my new "go to" for food prep.

• gainzmummy17
    gainzmummy17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have 2 lol
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I got one recently for my birthday and I am have been experimenting. It is essentially a small, well insulated fan assisted oven where the fan is more aggressive than a convection oven. I find fries taste more fried when you add more olive oil than the instruction manual calls for. It's perfect for roasting anything that the oven is too energy efficient for (such as roast chick pea snacks) or where you need even dry heat (blackening whole red peppers prior to peeling don't need to be turned as in the oven). I've also used it for roasting broccoli which turned out great without heating up the kitchen.

It's not great for jobs where you need the uneven heat in an oven, such as spatchcock chicken where the breasts stay tender in the centre while the legs cook more aggressively at the higher heat around the perimeter. Still need to experiment with chicken wings and drumsticks.

If you don't have a shortage of counter space it is a useful bit of kit.