Replacing high calorie/fat foods?

Options
I've started the basic steps to cutting down on calories with a list of "DON'T EAT THAT" foods ....

Do any of you have tips for substitutes for for everyday food items that may be lower in calories. I'm honestly tired of standing in the grocery store looking at each brand of bread or checking to see if soy milk is better than skim milk.

ANY TRADE SECRETS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

I've tried yogurt instead of sour cream. Love it!
Not a huge fan of the low calorie bread.
I've been using soy sauce to saute....which seems like a sin...but oil just hurts my soul when I look at the fat.

Replies

• ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    popcorn instead of chips
    111408 Posts: 27
    Options
    Sara Lee makes a whole wheat bread thats only 45 calories a slice that is pretty good. Use olive oil to saute, its good for you fat!
    Almond milk is lower calorie and significant calcium and can replace milk.

And a s a general rule eat fruits and veggies and protein over refined/processed carbs
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I use spray to saute.
    I saw on here (and then tried) - 2 hard boiled egg WHITES with a little vinegar - and cannabalize in a processor or magic bullet to make your own homemade FAT FREE very low calorie MAYO
    I use Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened - 35 calories per cup - I also use this to make 35 calorie ice cream! It was yum! (as seen here)
    I use La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Whole Wheat Wraps - 100 calories
    I use Laughing Cow wedges instead of sliced cheeses
    I use the same wedges instead of mayo or another "wet" condiment on a sandwich

Hope that helps!
  • MelisD
    MelisD Posts: 5
    Options
    For my sandwiches I use 1 tablespoon of low fat cream cheese instead of a cheese slice and mayo. It is more delicious and less calories. (you could cut out all of that stuff all together to save on calories, but I don't like my sandwiches dry.)
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Try to remember that calories and fat are not the only things to look at... soy sauce has a ton of salt in it, so beware! Also remember that getting a small amount of good fat (extra virgin olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc...) daily is required!

What kind of ideas are you looking for?

I make homemade pizzas on a whole wheat pita pocket when I am craving pizza (great because each person in the family gets too choose their own toppings, and they only take 10 minutes on the bar-b-q or in the oven!)

Choose whole wheat pasta, rice and bread rather than white

I find an english muffin more satisfying for breakfast than 2 toast (and better for you too)!

I use vanilla yogurt as dessert.... even try mixing in fruit and granola/cereal for breakfast.

Also try not to put any items on a DO NOT EAT list. This will only cause you to crave them even more (you always crave what you can't have), and you will probably end up binge eating them later on... Instead, try to save up your calories, and allow yourself a small portion. I eat veggie chips and chocolate all the time! haha

For chocolate, I usually choose a plain chocolate bar (the filled ones don't usually get rid of a chocolate craving for me!) I always go light (even though dark chocolate is better) because it's just not my thing! Try to refrigerate them, then suck on the chocolate until it melts... lasts much longer that way!

Have cottage cheese & fruit for snacks...
    Try boiled eggs with crackers for lunch...
    Eat whole wheat crackers/melta toast instead of bread for lunch (great with tuna salad!)

Hope some of this helps...

Good Luck!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee makes a whole wheat bread thats only 45 calories a slice that is pretty good. Use olive oil to saute, its good for you fat!
    Almond milk is lower calorie and significant calcium and can replace milk.

And a s a general rule eat fruits and veggies and protein over refined/processed carbs

I LOVE ALMOND MILK! I do not like the taste of any milk- real, soy,almond so I mix it with nesquick powder for my cereal. In my cereal I can not feel a textural diffrence or taste diffrence between real milk or almond milk. There are so few cals in almond milk vs regulare milk I 100% suggest this!
  • MelisD
    MelisD Posts: 5
    Options
    oooo also Sara Lee has an 80 calorie hamburger bun... perfect for a chicken sandwich with low fat cheese...
  • lablvr6
    lablvr6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt with salsa -add to the top of a baked potato
    Ezekiel bread or muffins
    Light dressing Paul newman honey mustard
    Fresh fruits and vegetables nothing in a can
  • Smartpiper
    Options
    Low carb whole wheat tortillas
    Thomas Everything Baglethin with laughing cow swiss, or nonfat cream cheese
    Orowheat sandwich thins~Multigrain