Unused calories

Options
If I have extra calories - for example up to 300 - remaining at the end of the day, can I add them on to my 1200 calories the next day?

Replies

• kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have done this before maybe once or twice. I would like to know what people have to say about it.
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    At the moment I'm seeing what works for me - so although I may be over one day and under another day I'm making sure my week evens out to around 8,400 calories. I've seen a fair amount of people writing about staggering calories as well, which would mean adding unused calories on to other days.
  • fionamacf
    Options
    I tend to look at weeks as a whole as sometimes life means the 1200 calories will be hard to achieve one day and exercise the next (or day before) will balance it.

Since I stopped beating myself up over a 'bad day' I have lost weight.
  • Natasha7t2
    Natasha7t2 Posts: 129
    Options
    Some say you can, some say you can't. I know that you can't stagger too many calories for too long but I'd like to know what you can do.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I normally set a week to week calorie count. Not a day to day.

I normally can't excerise on Tues and Thrus so those days tend to go over, while other days I get to excerise I go under.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You could always try it and see if it works for you... if it does or doesn't, you'll have your answer.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Life is not really a measurable variable - so as long as this is not a MAJOR amount of calories on a regular basis, I'm sure we all do it. We all go out for family meals/out with friends etc and deficit days plus the exercise will work towards compensating for this.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I try to balance mine out over the week - provided i have a 3500 deficit at the end of the week, I should lose a pound. Seems to be working ok up to now. Everyone is different tho so just see how it goes for you. Good luck :smile:
  • Natasha7t2
    Natasha7t2 Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks to all for your helpful feedback so far.

I'm reluctant to get into the habit of eating too few calories one day and then eating loads the day after to make up the deficit. I don't think that would be great for the body. On the odd occasion that I go over my calorie consumption, say by going out for dinner, family meal etc, I would rather eat a bit less the next day and do that once in a while.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i say definatly not...one day at a time..
  • fionamacf
    Options
    I never eat too few calories any day - as MFP points out if you try to log it you're body won't thank you. My deficits are always caused by exercise. Have never eaten less than 1200 calories a day. Just don't eat back all my exercise calories if I know I have a meal out or not able to exercise. Muscle mass increasing and fat decreasing so it is working.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I normally set a week to week calorie count. Not a day to day.

I normally can't excerise on Tues and Thrus so those days tend to go over, while other days I get to excerise I go under.

how do you set a week to week calorie count??
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    When I hit a plateau, I was told to take total calories for 3-5 days, and stagger it out to get me out of the hump. For example - I get 1200 per day = 3600 for 3 days.

day one 1000
    day 2 1400
    day 3 1200.

It didn't really help in my opinion. Not until I started upping my workout. I still don't generally hit my calorie goal, and very rarely, maybe once or twice a week do I eat my exercise calories. This works for me.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    What you get for the day is what you have...they aren't like rollover minutes where you can use them later lol. The unused calories go to "Unused Calorie Fairyland" where they go on to lead a happy and mystical after life :flowerforyou: