Tried sardines.....

Options

Replies

• LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Ok sooo I didn’t eat sardines today but I did eat the smoked oysters today. Lol. But I WILL try the sardines.

Smoked oysters sound amazing...don't know where I would get them in UK though, never seen them about anywhere :(
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Ok sooo I didn’t eat sardines today but I did eat the smoked oysters today. Lol. But I WILL try the sardines.

Smoked oysters sound amazing...don't know where I would get them in UK though, never seen them about anywhere :(

Sainsbury and Waitrose have them. :)
  • LearningToFly13
    Options

Sainsbury and Waitrose have them. :)

Aw thanks, I'm adding them to my shopping list as we speak :):)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    So thanks to this thread, I have now also tried smoked oysters. Really good, though it was like a fire pit in my mouth afterward.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    The canned smoked oysters that I'm familiar with are over smoked, dried out, shriveled to the size of a peanut and then drenched in oil. Sorry but they're really awful.

If you want good smoked oysters you need to smoke them on the 1/2 shell yourself.

If you like them raw, cold smoking is the only way to impart smoke flavor w/o cooking them. One of those electric tabletop mini smokers w/the tube you stick in a bowl topped w/plastic wrap would work well.

If you prefer them cooked, smoking over indirect heat on a BBQ grill will work as well as long as you're sparing w/the smoke, keep the heat low and make sure that the oysters don't shrivel up and get tough which are main signs of over cooking any shellfish.

Do this and you'll never eat a canned smoked oyster again.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The canned smoked oysters that I'm familiar with are over smoked, dried out, shriveled to the size of a peanut and then drenched in oil. Sorry but they're really awful.

If you want good smoked oysters you need to smoke them on the 1/2 shell yourself.

If you like them raw, cold smoking is the only way to impart smoke flavor w/o cooking them. One of those electric tabletop mini smokers w/the tube you stick in a bowl topped w/plastic wrap would work well.

If you prefer them cooked, smoking over indirect heat on a BBQ grill will work as well as long as you're sparing w/the smoke, keep the heat low and make sure that the oysters don't shrivel up and get tough which are main signs of over cooking any shellfish.

Do this and you'll never eat a canned smoked oyster again.

I had the Geisha brand. Definitely could have roasted marshmallows on my breath.
  • schellies
    schellies Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Love sardines and love hot sauce!! Don't thi nk I've seen I've seen them in hot sauce around here
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I bought a can, was going to try them.... chickened out. I think I'll try them now though. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    plain sardines on peanut butter toast, or sardines in hot sauce or tomato sauce...
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Some lemon and hot sauce added is good!
    Great....now I need some!!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    im sorry
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    plain sardines on peanut butter toast, or sardines in hot sauce or tomato sauce...

Peanut Butter!?!? :o
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    How the hell do you eat them? I can't imagine that you're supposed to just grab a fork and chomp on them. Do you have to eat them fried or with crackers or something? I need guidance. They are supposed to be LOADED with good vitamins, omega-3 and they are sustainable. Got my attention but somebody' s got to tell me how to consume the jokers.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    How the hell do you eat them? I can't imagine that you're supposed to just grab a fork and chomp on them. Do you have to eat them fried or with crackers or something? I need guidance. They are supposed to be LOADED with good vitamins, omega-3 and they are sustainable. Got my attention but somebody' s got to tell me how to consume the jokers.

Most of us don't mind chomping them straight from the can but crackers, toast, or bread are favorite delivery vehicles.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You can eat 'em out of the can, fork or fingers. Over spaghetti with a little tomato sauce or olive oil & garlic. On crackers or in a sandwich. There are no rules to break.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    the last time I tried them I was drunk. they didn't settle in my stomach. by morning I woke up nude and embarrassed.. my dad use to eat them all the time. I just can't get past the smell
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Sardines: the new excuse for coming to in Mexican border town sporting houses during my misspent youth. Thanks, Michael.
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »

Smoosh them into some buttered toast with a fork and you're good to go. Is smoosh even a word?

And if they're canned ones they don't need cooking :)
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Peanut Butter!?!? :o

Yeah peanut butter and sardines...surely someone has made a law against that. Not even when I was pregnant would I have dreamed up that ill fated culinary union :D
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Someone said fresh ones taste like mackerel and that has me interested. I just found peppered mackerel at Trader Joe's, yes! The texture of the canned always put my off, my brother would eat them sometimes, and pilchards. My mum would give them to the dog too, I never tried them, only smelled and observed haha.