Treadmill vs outside

Options
Joshkilgore32
Joshkilgore32 Posts: 3 Member
edited December 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've started running on a treadmill here lately and everytime I run and tell anyone my time they act like it doesn't count because it's inside. What's the big difference between the two? I ran 2 miles today one in 5:20 and the other 4:48 also is those a good time? I ran at full speed 12.5 the whole time no stopping. Anyone know how many mph that is?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I run on both the treadmill and outside, and certainly count them both as runs :) I mean, you're running, right? I'm not up for delving into maths right now, but someone more helpful will come along soon and help you figure it out. Keep doing what you're doing!

eta: As far as times go, when I run outside just for a set amount of time, I almost always end up running the exact same speed as my usual treadmill runs.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Had a guy tell me im a lieing fat whale when i said im into fitness and health because i dont go to a gym. Im a mover as work im lifting literal 10+ tonnes (i weighed it lol) on a light day and walking 10-15 miles while climbing stairs and carrying furniture 5-12 hours a day. Do you think my exercise counts? My body sure as *kitten* does and if i didnt then eat to accommodate my exercise id die.

Point being, Who cares what they say you and your body knows the work your putting in. As for good times and stuff i have nothing to add to that im not a runner xD So your doing beter times thn i am. Just do your best who cares what anyone says. Be your best you, Not someone elses version of the best you. Focus on you not others.
  • BryanHoffman74
    BryanHoffman74 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Outside, love the fresh air
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    outside > treadmill
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner myself but I think if you're running outside you have to avoid obstacles and may have to climb steps or step on and off the sidewalk, so maybe that will give you more of a workout. Although on a treadmill you don't have to slow down or stop at traffic crossings so your pace is kept higher. I don't see either one as less significant than the other.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Outside, love the fresh air

But baby, it's cold outside!

(I vote treadmill!)
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It definitely still counts, but for me I ran on a treadmill off and on for years and it never worked out for me. I would get bored and just generally hated running. Maybe that guy sees it as boring or something and is just an avid runner or adventurist?

I run outside almost daily. I love running now and it’s a huge part of my life. Running outdoors is seriously my favorite hobby.
  • TravelBear87
    TravelBear87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and prefer running outside but I like to do HIIT runs on the treadmill. I personally think both count but I run faster when I am outside.

I find running on the treadmill mentally draining so I don't do anymore than 3 miles on the treadmill but I can happily run 10 miles outside.

It's good to get a variation of both I think. I like the challenges of running outside a bit more, as you get little hills here and there and it makes me work harder.

Running is running and if you're choosing to run on the treadmill, it still counts in my book!
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    Completely weather dependent with a significant bias towards the real thing.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    They both "count", but your time will likely be slower outside. Treadmills limit the variables provided by your environment.

Check your best times outside for comparison.
  • gexking
    gexking Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't like to freeze/ I do like to sweat. I live in Mn, so treadmills are necessary for my likes. However, I try run outside once per week to keep it real. Treadmill is not real: *too level *too soft *no wind I know this, but I do like how it makes me think I'm fast.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Definitely counts, and I'm far faster outside vs in.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    They both "count", but your time will likely be slower outside. Treadmills limit the variables provided by your environment.

Check your best times outside for comparison.

My times are better outside. I can't run the full 30 minutes on a treadmill so my 5K is ~ 5 mins faster outside.

I get that it's all in my head, but I can't wait for spring when I can run outside at 5:30 am.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    My outside times are faster too when I'm running for a specific number of miles instead of an hour.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Outside! My form, speed, and shins suffer greatly on the treadmill.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've started running on a treadmill here lately and everytime I run and tell anyone my time they act like it doesn't count because it's inside. What's the big difference between the two? I ran 2 miles today one in 5:20 and the other 4:48 also is those a good time? I ran at full speed 12.5 the whole time no stopping. Anyone know how many mph that is?

If you ran at the same 12.5 pace the whole time, wouldn't both miles be identical time?

Also, those are very fast times, they are still exercise. But as far as counting towards a PR or anything...no, not in my opinion. But for any general comparison of how fast you are they are fine and relevant, the outside difference is there, but this is a close enough estimate.
  • AMC110
    Options
    Here is an online speed/distance/time calculator. If I input your distance of 2 miles and time of 5 mins 20 seconds it says you were running at 23 mph.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »
    Here is an online speed/distance/time calculator. If I input your distance of 2 miles and time of 5 mins 20 seconds it says you were running at 23 mph.

He didn't run 2 miles that fast. It's a physical impossibility. He ran one in 5:20 & the other I'm 4:48.
    A 5 minute mile is 12 mph.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I can run on a treadmill for an hour and get a great workout, but, if I go outside, I end up walking and being bored.

I also watch TV or movies on the treadmill, so that may be why I like it better lol.
  • AMC110
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    AMC110 wrote: »

He didn't run 2 miles that fast. It's a physical impossibility. He ran one in 5:20 & the other I'm 4:48.
    A 5 minute mile is 12 mph.

Oh I misunderstood his explanation, I thought he meant he ran 2 miles each time, not overall.