The diet and the desk-job.

I recently transitioned from quite a full on active job to a desk job. Before I was always on my feet doing about 15-20 thousand steps a day without fail, now I do about 5,000 and I'm really struggling to adjust. My schedule doesn't really allow me to do a huge amount in terms of exercise daily as I leave the house at 7 and return at 7. Does anyone else struggle with this? Any tips on adjusting?

Replies

• goldenmom44
    goldenmom44 Posts: 5 Member
    YES!!! I sit at a desk all day. I do squats and small exercises like that but I have to struggle to get exercise time in. I go to the YMCA as I can but I have an 8 year old that I have to get home for homework and all the mother stuff so any help from others would really be appreciated.
  • 8ritt55
    8ritt55 Posts: 17 Member
    I can relate! I work at a desk all day long! I hit the gym at 5:00 am and walk on my lunch breaks to make up for the sedentary desk job :P
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    The first time I transitioned to a desk job from an active one, I gained 60 pounds. I went back to active work, but 2 years ago I switched to a desk job again. I thought I knew exactly what I was doing. Still, I gained 15 pounds.

Figuring out the right amount of food to eat was the hardest thing for me, I struggled to learn/accept how much I really had to cut back. It sounds like you struggle with getting in enough activity, though. What you can do at work depends a lot of the culture and type of space you are in. I used to be on the phone a lot, I'd do squats, lunges, wall-sits, wall push-ups while waiting on hold. If you have a lot of one-on-one meetings, you can try to have walking meetings. Other than that, I'd focus on activity on your days off. I'm usually pretty tired when I have 12 hours or less off work.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    I had a very active job (10-15 miles of walking a day) that led to a desk job - boy, I packed on 40lbs without really noticing over 2 years. Never really struggled with my weight before as I worked in retail for the majority of my life.

Turns out I had no idea how to lose weight properly. Over time, I learned a few tricks on how to move more and make healthier and/or lower calorie choices to eventually lose the weight.

Best tips I can provide:
    - create a walking challenge with coworkers if you have the technology available to do so
    - Invite colleagues on walks either during lunch or during meetings when appropriate
    - Challenge yourself to always take the stairs (I work on the 4th floor and haven’t taken the stairs in over 2 years except when with clients on rare occasions) and to do a quick round up and down stairs when taking a bathroom break
    - Set a timer in your phone to get up and walk every hour for 5 minutes - your brain will thank you, too, for the momentary break
    - Inquire with your company about under desk Peddlers or a walking treadmill for work purposes. We have walking treadmills and I can easily hit my 12,500 step goal by 3pm when I have back to back phone meetings while walking on that machine

Outside of work, I started with 5 minutes of exercise - walking, jump rope, whatever. Slowly, I added 5 minutes here or 5 minutes there to a workout. Maybe you will surprise yourself with how much time you eventually can dedicate if you start small at first.

Good luck!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    It is really hard especially if you are gone 12 hours. In addition to some of the other things people have said, it’s really going to come down to diet for you. Track tightly, weigh everything.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Have you adjusted your MFP activity settings? Your NEAT is lower now so its best to lower your intake accordingly.
  • couchnest
    couchnest Posts: 19 Member
    Your day sounds similar to mine but I have been getting closer and closer to 10k throughout the day with the help of my watch reminding me to stand and move around. I keep an eye on my steps and even though I am NOT motivated at night, will try to get at least the 10k in on the treadmill. I generally come home, make dinner, eat and then use the treadmill. It can be really boring, but my goal is 2-3 times a week hitting 10k. I'd say most days when I hit the treadmill it's around 30-40 minutes or so.

Without looking at what you are eating, maybe adjust your diet as well. I've also had to do that to help offset how much more I am sitting now. It sucks, but it's working.

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    time to change the diet, eat more carrots and celery

That's weird advice. What does it have to do with OP's post? You're a vegan so everyone else should be too?
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    time to change the diet, eat more carrots and celery

That's weird advice. What does it have to do with OP's post? You're a vegan so everyone else should be too?

Well, the headline DOES say diet.
  • JGuerra77
    JGuerra77 Posts: 1 Member
    Same here, 9-5 desk job not the greatest in terms of being active but there are many ways to compensate. What works for me is gym at 5am every morning, get up & walk every hour, avoid snacks for this could quickly become a habit. Bottom's up on that H20! (you'll be forced to get up and walk to the bathroom more often). Last but not least, I try to do some physical activity in the evening like hit the gym a second time if time allows. Best wishes! B)
  • AdinaRin
    AdinaRin Posts: 12 Member
    JGuerra77 wrote: »
    Same here, 9-5 desk job not the greatest in terms of being active but there are many ways to compensate. What works for me is gym at 5am every morning, get up & walk every hour, avoid snacks for this could quickly become a habit. Bottom's up on that H20! (you'll be forced to get up and walk to the bathroom more often). Last but not least, I try to do some physical activity in the evening like hit the gym a second time if time allows. Best wishes! B)

I am in the process of getting back in the gym at 5 am as well! Great ideas!
    I too have a deskjob during our non surgical days. I get almost no steps in as I'm glued to the phone speaking to patients all day. Need to figure that out still.
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    I went from an active job to a desk job as well, (and am also gone/out of the house 12+ hours a day). My biggest problem is all the FOOD that is lying around at work, calling my name, especially this time of year. I would monitor your food intake just to see how it's affecting your weight now that you're not as active. You may have to cut back a bit. I found a gym close to my work that opens at 5 so I go there, work out, shower, etc., then go straight to work. For me, I'd be too tired to go after work. But if you're more of a night owl maybe you could find one that's open late and just go straight from work so you're not tempted to go home and relax (that's always my problem). Good luck!
  • hurth32
    hurth32 Posts: 7 Member
    I have been working at a desk Job for the last 5 years and I have gained some unwanted weight, however what I have noticed is that it isn't the desk job that makes me put on the weight it is the excessive snacking. being at a desk all day could be extremely boring and the only than to keep from falling asleep is to snack. what I have started to do is pack my breakfast, lunch and a snack making sure it is healthy and get me through the day. I also have my 3lb weights on my desk, and I get up every hr to walk for at least 5 minutes
  • grittygrindfitness
    grittygrindfitness Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2017
    shloofk wrote: »
    I recently transitioned from quite a full on active job to a desk job. Before I was always on my feet doing about 15-20 thousand steps a day without fail, now I do about 5,000 and I'm really struggling to adjust. My schedule doesn't really allow me to do a huge amount in terms of exercise daily as I leave the house at 7 and return at 7. Does anyone else struggle with this? Any tips on adjusting?

If you are not looking to incorporate a trip to the gym daily then I would focus heavily on your nutrition. Try planning out your meals and taking them with you so youre not tempted to eat unnecessarily throughout the day. Either you need to pick up your exercise or really hammer down on your nutrition- both preferably!

Feel free to reach out with any specific questions!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I have a little pedal thingy under my desk that I can use. When it's nice out, I eat lunch and then take a 20 minute walk.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    @Relser - what is this pedal thingy? Tell us more.