I have no idea how to start, someone please HELP

Options
I need help motivating myself into getting into a workout routine. It is my first time getting a gym membership, and it's really hard for me to go and actually work out when I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I honestly feel ashamed sometimes and that's why I'm asking for help. I am trying to lose some weight but not a lot, my main goal is to tone myself out. I'm more looking for a flatter stomach, I want to gain upper body strength, and I'm looking into getting bigger thighs, hips, and glutes. But especially my stomach getting smaller and my glutes getting bigger. So I am here asking for help. If people can give me some workout ideas or exercises I can do to help me with that so i can make a routine out of them, Or if there is anyone that is working on the same thing that I am, if you would share your routines with me I would be more than entirely grateful because I have no idea where to start and I'm tired of looking up routines and having to pay for all of them when they don't help me. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone could help me out!!!!!!

Replies

• sons6
    sons6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HOW DO I WRITE THE INGREDIENTS OF AN ITEM I MADE LIKE A BURGER
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    what you are describing is called recomposition, check out the maintaining weight board, there are many threads there discussing how to do this successfully. Look into a wight lifting program, there are some good beginner ones such as stronglifts 5x5. You can find instructions for this one for free online.

This goal will take time, so make sure you set realistic goals and are patient.

Good luck!
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    its great that u r ready to face this problem,u might find this helpful

1. buy a food scale (the most important tool u need)
    2. set up a profile with an easy goal at first (start with .5 a week for the first 2 weeks to ease ur body into it). u can go for -1 or more lbs/week if u like after u get comfortable with ur new lifestyle
    3. take up exercising (try only eat back half of what u think u burned at max)
    4. join an online challenge
    5. ditch any non supportive friends
    6. donate all junk foods
    7. dont tell people that u r trying to lose weight coz most will tell u to EAT MORE (smile n ignore them if they do but do not give in coz u have a goal n they dont)
    8. LOG everything u eat consistently

good luck!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly recommend finding a program and following it for 4-6 months rather than making up your own routine. This thread lists a lot of the most commonly recommended lifting programs: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • grittygrindfitness
    grittygrindfitness Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    karecast01 wrote: »
    I need help motivating myself into getting into a workout routine. It is my first time getting a gym membership, and it's really hard for me to go and actually work out when I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I honestly feel ashamed sometimes and that's why I'm asking for help. I am trying to lose some weight but not a lot, my main goal is to tone myself out. I'm more looking for a flatter stomach, I want to gain upper body strength, and I'm looking into getting bigger thighs, hips, and glutes. But especially my stomach getting smaller and my glutes getting bigger. So I am here asking for help. If people can give me some workout ideas or exercises I can do to help me with that so i can make a routine out of them, Or if there is anyone that is working on the same thing that I am, if you would share your routines with me I would be more than entirely grateful because I have no idea where to start and I'm tired of looking up routines and having to pay for all of them when they don't help me. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone could help me out!!!!!!

Start with small goals like getting to the gym X number of days a week and be realistic!

The goals you mentioned are fantastic but will take time in the gym as well as in the kitchen (nutritionally).

• CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think a good beginner program would be 5x5 as 4legs recommended. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday weights, Tuesday and Thursday cardio. Its a great program to start with. Great for building strength, if you want size then you will want to look at something else.

Don't be ashamed everyone in the gym was were you are now. I have found if my form is off that others have asked me if I minded some advice and helped me out.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    There are millions of options out there and it certainly can be overwhelming. The most important thing for any routine (in my opinion) is that it is something you will actually do. Youtube is a good source, maybe type "smaller waist bigger glutes beginner" in the youtube searchbar and check out a few of the videos and see if there is one you can see yourself doing. Don't worry about whether or not it's the "prefect" routine; if you like it and it will fit your time-schedule, then do it.

After that it is a matter of CONSISTENCY!!! Consistency is more important that the workout itself (again my opinion). You're better off doing a mediocre routine consistently than you would be doing an excellent routine inconsistently.

Also, be militant about logging what you eat. It is sooooo important!

ps. Stay away from the info-mercial-videos and don't buy anything at this stage; there's way too much free info out there to justify paying for a beginner program.
  • jsminer827
    jsminer827 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you're new to the gym and lifting weights in general, you might want to consider paying for a session or two with a personal trainer - someone who knows the correct way to do a movement and can instruct you to ensure your form is top notch. The worst thing that could happen at this stage is for you to hurt yourself. Plus, don't forget... everyone here and everyone at the gym was once where you are - people are usually willing to give advice and help! We're all in this together!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    karecast01 wrote: »

What type of gym do you go to or is it the YMCA? I would ask if there are trainers there who can help you on the machines the first time there and help you get comfy with them. I would also buy a food scale and start weighing your foods as much as possible. It will be easy to forget at first but you'll get the hang of it. Take it one day at a time. Remember it's about a lifestyle change and no race to a finish line.

• EmilySTX
    EmilySTX Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To tone up and as a beginner, I would highly suggest that you youtube tone it up, theyre women who make short free weight/body weight videos that anyone can do. You can do them at home when you cant find time to go to the gym. All you need are some dumbbells. They will also give you an idea of what sort of exercises you can do at the gym with better equipment. I use their videos almost every day. Just type in Tone it up, followed by whichever body part you want to target.
  • EmilySTX
    EmilySTX Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that a healthy diet does 70% of the work, working out doesn't do you any good if you aren't fueling your body correctly. Feel free to message me with any questions. I've done this before, and have a tried and true method down. And don't be afraid of weights, they're your best friend when it comes to growing the booty!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are millions of options out there and it certainly can be overwhelming. The most important thing for any routine (in my opinion) is that it is something you will actually do. Youtube is a good source, maybe type "smaller waist bigger glutes beginner" in the youtube searchbar and check out a few of the videos and see if there is one you can see yourself doing. Don't worry about whether or not it's the "prefect" routine; if you like it and it will fit your time-schedule, then do it.

After that it is a matter of CONSISTENCY!!! Consistency is more important that the workout itself (again my opinion). You're better off doing a mediocre routine consistently than you would be doing an excellent routine inconsistently.

Also, be militant about logging what you eat. It is sooooo important!

ps. Stay away from the info-mercial-videos and don't buy anything at this stage; there's way too much free info out there to justify paying for a beginner program.

^^see bold
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi if you send me your details with a pic of your self i can write some for you.