Treadmill vs outside

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Running outside is always preferable, it is so much more interesting. I do use my treadmill when it rains (I run with electronics) and during freezing / snowy weather (I'm usually not about putting on 10 layers of clothing and then slipping and sliding and busting my a**)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've started running on a treadmill here lately and everytime I run and tell anyone my time they act like it doesn't count because it's inside. What's the big difference between the two? I ran 2 miles today one in 5:20 and the other 4:48 also is those a good time? I ran at full speed 12.5 the whole time no stopping. Anyone know how many mph that is?

When people say it doesn't count, I'd assume they're talking about a PR or something. Of course it counts for exercise, but I'd never use an indoor cardio machine to mark a PR or anything.

The vast majority of people are going to have better times indoors than outdoors. For one thing, the treadmill gives you some assistance. Beyond that, you don't have to deal with other variables like weather, wind, grade changes and hills, etc.

I don't run, but I cycle...I get better times for the same watts indoors on my trainer or on the stationary bike at my gym than I do on my primary outdoor workout ride because I'm not dealing with those variables mentioned above. So I'd never go to a fellow cyclist and give him my time on the trainer or stationary bike...in essence, "that doesn't count." I do most of my winter riding indoors on my trainer...mostly interval stuff and use the winter to focus more on my lifting. I'm not a bundle up and brave the cold kinda guy...I'll get back on the road in the spring.

But does it really matter? You're getting your workout in...that's all that matters. My indoor intervals count towards my fitness...just not in the same way the my road rides count.
  • ladyflash20
    ladyflash20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    but I can't wait for spring when I can run outside at 5:30 am.
    You totally can, just use reflection and lights and bundle up a little. I still run in the morning, earlier this week it was 19*F when I went out for my morning run.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside, but can deal with the treadmill just fine by listening to audio books or podcasts.

It still counts.

I tend to run faster outside.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I prefer the outside
    ..but I live in Ohio. I hate the cold so I use the treadmill when it is cold outside.
    Both count just as equally.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You totally can, just use reflection and lights and bundle up a little. I still run in the morning, earlier this week it was 19*F when I went out for my morning run.

Too slippery for my liking. I'll do it later in the day on the weekend when I can see the icy spots, but not before sun up.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I can run on a treadmill for an hour and get a great workout, but, if I go outside, I end up walking and being bored.

I also watch TV or movies on the treadmill, so that may be why I like it better lol.

My tv shows are the reason I use my treadmill haha. I tend to run faster outside than on the treadmill though. I enjoy both since I love the outdoors, and tv...win win for me!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would consider inside and outside both runs, outside is definitely more interesting and harder. Even if you do some sort of hill setting on the treadmill the belt helps your feet along a little bit which doesn't happen inside. If you only train on a treadmill don't expect to be as impressive outdoors.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Another consideration is physical resilience. Running on cement vs running on a treadmill belt is very different in terms of impact on your ankles, knees, and hips - there is usually an adjustment for me after a long winter of mostly treadmill running, as there is a lot of soreness for several runs until I am used to the cement again.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Outside, unless the actual air temp gets below -20F, then I'll probably figure out something else to do.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside, but if the roads/sidewalks are icy then I will run inside. Which one is better is a matter of personal preference. Most runners end up doing both for various reasons and purposes.

Some people belittle the treadmill because it forces you to a pace and into a slightly unnatural stride, but if you practice running fast on the treadmill eventually your self-pace outside will get faster too.

To each his own--if you enjoy running on the treadmill, then, by all means, do.
  • jkorth59
    jkorth59 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are moving your legs very fast you are running...period..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've started running on a treadmill here lately and everytime I run and tell anyone my time they act like it doesn't count because it's inside. What's the big difference between the two? I ran 2 miles today one in 5:20 and the other 4:48 also is those a good time? I ran at full speed 12.5 the whole time no stopping. Anyone know how many mph that is?

Are you sure that is your time per mile or is that per KM, if it is per mile, those are amazing times, but something tells me your indoor treadmill is tracking kms not miles. Unless you are a seasoned (very experienced) runner, I would not believe those times are per mile.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    They both "count", but your time will likely be slower outside. Treadmills limit the variables provided by your environment.

Check your best times outside for comparison.

I find I run faster outside, must be that I don't get bored so don't focus on being tired.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Personal Opinion. Treadmills are effective for usage when the weather isn't safe for running outside. I prefer outside myself. I get to bored on a treadmill after about 20 minutes, but can run outside for well over that. I have read a few different places and was told at running camps that a treadmill moves the belt for you, you are not actually moving anything, so there is minimal resistance for your muscles to overcome. This results in your leg muscles getting use to not having to actually move you just keep up with the tread. Also if the treadmill is not at a 1.5 or better incline your actually running down hill.

Now I'm not saying they are not a great training aide to use by any means but I wouldnt consider them the end all be all for a cardio related training plan.

Now I would say it counts as cardio but like others have said your time outside doing the same distance could be slower.

Without knowing what your treadmill is and set at, MPH or KPH its hard to say. But a mile at 5:20 is moving along and a second one after that at 4 something. Your talking about a 2 mile thats Sub 10 minutes if its set at MPH. (repeating what others have said here)

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    jkorth59 wrote: »
    If you are moving your legs very fast you are running...period..

I move my legs very fast when I'm turning the pedals on my bike, and when I'm swimming.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Not if you live near me... did anyone see that Bills game sunday?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Not sure if troll...if truly running ~5 minute miles then OP likely knows running already and already knows the differences between indoor and outdoor running.

However, I'm guessing that all speed references are kilometer based as they all triangulate towards ~8 or 9 minute mile pacing (5:20 and 4:48 minutes/km and 12.5 kph). If so, OP those are pretty good times for a beginning runner though you'll have to be careful to not do too much too quickly. You need to give your body time to gradually adjust to higher running loads.

Most of your runs should be at an easy pace, probably something closer to 9:30 minute miles based on the times you've referenced. In fact, if you were running those times on the street instead of on a treadmill, there's a chance you may have developed injuries (assuming you're a relatively new runner). That's one of the big differences between treadmill and street running...the treadmill is slightly more forgiving and less impactful because of the flex of the tread.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Not if you live near me... did anyone see that Bills game sunday?

They still have a team???
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    On treadmill now. Don't have to worry about cars.