Walking

Options
Hi!
I have using my fitness for about 2 yrs on and off! I plan on this time being the best and hopefully last! Since March 2017 my dr has put me on a diet pill which really working. Since the pill I lost 60lbs, however total it is 86lb. I started about three weeks ago walking 20 minutes a day and now I am up to 30 minutes! I was wondering how long before I can see results like building muscle?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You wont build muscle from walking. I walk 10kms a day, everyday. No extra muscle to be seen on me.

Plus building muscle while eating in a calorie deficit is hard to nigh impossible.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The following are things you need to build muscle:
    -a calorie surplus
    -a decent, progressive lifting program
    -adequate protein intake

Walking will not do that. It is possible you could build muscle while losing weight if you start lifting, but the gains will be short lived.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have using my fitness for about 2 yrs on and off! I plan on this time being the best and hopefully last! Since March 2017 my dr has put me on a diet pill which really working. Since the pill I lost 60lbs, however total it is 86lb. I started about three weeks ago walking 20 minutes a day and now I am up to 30 minutes! I was wondering how long before I can see results like building muscle?

It will be a VERY long time before you see muscle from walking.

Start climbing stairs ... like lots of them. Then you might start seeing some muscle development. I started noticing a bit when I was climbing 25+ flights of 20 stairs 5 days a week.

Or get out cycling. Cycling intervals and cycling up hills will build a bit of muscle. But you've got to put in some effort for that to happen.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your successes! Glad you are walking. 3 1/2 years ago I could barely walk 1/4 mile. Now I walk several miles every day and will be to 10 million steps in a couple weeks. Keep it going!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I do a lot of walking in my day to day work. I average 11k steps most days just at work , so adding more walking seemed like it would not really do much and it was hard to find motivation to walk more after work. I was mistaken. This summer I started going with a friend to a local park once a week ,on my day off, to walk. The park has some pretty rugged trails with climbs that can equal as much as 22 flights of stairs. On my friend's reccomendation I started using a set of RealNodic trekking poles. The poles take a lot of the strain off of my knees on the hills and they increase the benefits of my walking, giving my upper body a workout. The crazy thhing is , at first, I gained weight. But did not see any indication oif it in the fit of my clothes. I have to guess that I gained muscle. I regularly walk 3 miles and even did a 6 mile walk on very difficult terrain this fall. I have noticed huge improvements in my stamina, strength and have seen muscle definition in my legs and shoulders. An I am now starting to lose again.

I also recently started taking my old dog on these walks and she has done really well and is now a great motivator. I find myself more eager to go to the park on other days, even after a long day on my feet at work.

Maybe walking won't make you look like a body builder but it can be a great way to get in shape. Find a place to walk that challanges you. Useing trekking poles for a better workout is well worth investing in.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for your cardiovascular health...but it really isn't a muscle development exercise. You will gain strength and stamina over time as well as improve your cardiovascular fitness and health...any gain in actual muscle (new fibers) would be minimal and likely require doing stairs or walking hills...but still very minimal...it is a light activity that the human body is designed to do and very adept at doing.

Resistance training is how you develop muscle.