Thinking about becoming a vegeterian but.. I don't really know where to start.

Options
And honestly, thinking about not having meat makes me sad. I can confidently say it's about 75% of my diet. I have meat multiple times a day and pride myself a bit in not having to take supplements in order to meet my protein requirement. I hate supplements no matter how they are prepared.

I would like to hear from meat lovers turned vegetarian - how did you go about it?

Please no arguing as I don't want to have to skip through your response to my post and then other people responding to your response.

This would not be for weight loss purposes. It's more like, I love animals.. but never enough to give up meat. That was sad to type out.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What is it about not eating meat that makes you sad? Are there ways to achieve those things that make you happy without eating meat? Would there be things about not eating meat that would make you happy?

I went vegetarian about 13 years ago. I wasn't an animal rights activist or a health nut or any of those other stereotypes people have of vegetarians. I was just a college student. I was sitting in McDonald's eating a Chicken McNugget, and it occurred to me that I didn't know why I was eating it. I didn't think it was very healthy. I liked the taste of the breading, but not the meat. I just ate meat because that's what people ate. I never loved it...it's just what I thought food was. I had never really thought about *why* I was eating meat before, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I couldn't come up with a good reason to eat it. So I stopped.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 3 years but it didn't really work for me. I got low iron and my doctor suggested I go back to eating non-veg then I spent a year eating out mostly because I didn't do that before, so I gained 15 pounds and that's why I'm here again.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    I was also eating too many carbs. My boyfriend is vegetarian and eats pasta mostly but he's fine (and skinny) I'm guessing I just had bad examples of vegetarians around me (I once knew a vegan who ate just french fries and doritos) so I decided to go back.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I got low iron

.. this helped me remember something! After a view days (I think..it could've been a week or so) without me I remember trying to donate blood at school and couldn't due to low iron which I associated to my recent diet change. I don't want to have an iron deficiency.

But if the animals are why you're doing it, the are other ways to reduce your impact on the industry. Look into ethical and sustainable farms and suppliers.

I started purchasing the 'roam free eggs'. They are pricier and the supplier is local.. but according to my brother and his gf it's 'a bunch of bs' and that it doesn't make any difference. So I will look into this more! Thank you.
    apullum wrote: »
    What is it about not eating meat that makes you sad?

I simply LOVE meat. I love ground beef, chicken, bacon, and steak. Not having them makes me sad I guess because naturally everyone would be sad if they didn't have their favorite daily things? Idk. That's the best answer I can come up with.

Replacing one meal a day is such great advice and is less stressful than quitting meet all at once! So currently searching for yummy, simple veg meals.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Being vegetarian or vegan does not necessarily translate to having low iron. My iron levels have always been fine. Most of us can get all of the iron we need from a well-balanced diet with or without meat.

You don't actually have to be a vegetarian or vegan in order to eat less meat. You can just make intentional efforts to eat less meat without having to live up to a particular label.

There are also a LOT of meatless proteins out there. It's not all tofu. You might try out some different brands and see what you like.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I got low iron

.. this helped me remember something! After a view days (I think..it could've been a week or so) without me I remember trying to donate blood at school and couldn't due to low iron which I associated to my recent diet change. I don't want to have an iron deficiency.

But if the animals are why you're doing it, the are other ways to reduce your impact on the industry. Look into ethical and sustainable farms and suppliers.

I started purchasing the 'roam free eggs'. They are pricier and the supplier is local.. but according to my brother and his gf it's 'a bunch of bs' and that it doesn't make any difference. So I will look into this more! Thank you.

I simply LOVE meat. I love ground beef, chicken, bacon, and steak. Not having them makes me sad I guess because naturally everyone would be sad if they didn't have their favorite daily things? Idk. That's the best answer I can come up with.

Replacing one meal a day is such great advice and is less stressful than quitting meet all at once! So currently searching for yummy, simple veg meals.

I love meat too. I could never be a vegetarian - sitting down to a juicy steak is satisfying to me. That said, I eat 130-150g protein a day. Very little is meat, with a lot coming from vegetarian sources. I try to buy more ethically sourced products - they tend to be more expensive, so I eat less.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I come from a vegetarian family. I think the thing to remember is when you're replacing meat with a vegetarian protein source, the vegetarian protein source probably has a few carbs. So that means you'll be cutting back on carbs in other places. If you just simply eat the same carbohydrates and then replace your meat with something like beans or lentils, you're going to be increasing your overall carb and calorie intake.

I also agree with above posters about doing it gradually. Depending on how much meat you eat now, cut back by about 35% and try to maintain it for a couple of months until it becomes easy. Then reduce more. And maybe also cut back on types of meat - switch to mostly fish and occasionally poultry and cut out all hog, lamb, and beef.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I got low iron

Iron deficiency is not inevitable for vegetarians. I have been vegan for ten years and I donate blood every eight weeks. I have never been turned away for my iron levels. The last time I was turned away was about fifteen years ago . . . when I was still eating meat. I get my iron tested every year at my check-up and my doctor confirms that it is good. It's now so good, in fact, that my doctor recommended that I stop taking my supplement.

If you do decide to go vegetarian, you can Google iron-containing foods that fit into your plan and eat those regularly. If that doesn't do the trick, you can talk to your doctor about supplementing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    it doesn't sound like you really want to do it...?

It may be that OP doesn't really want to do it, but in my experience it can be somewhat common for those contemplating vegetarianism or veganism to want to make the change due to ethical concerns, but experience trepidation or unhappiness around giving up foods they enjoy. I know I felt this personally myself before making the change.
  • Amyfinch0
    Amyfinch0 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian a few years ago for the animals. Like you I was really bummed out by the thought of not eating meat anymore because I loved the taste and meat was the focal point of every single dish I ate.

So I started out in stages - first went the red meat, then gradually went the fish, then eventually went the chicken. Cutting out each option slowly really helped me acclimatise and give me time to learn how to incorporate more vegetarian options into my diet. I now have an appreciation for vegetables, and use Quorn a helluva lot (because the love of meat taste and texture has never died, I’ll be honest).

There were times and periods I’ve slipped up and ate meat because I struggle with discipline, but I always remind myself why I went vegetarian in the first place: because my pleasure doesn’t justify all that pain and suffering.

I went vegan for a while, loved it, but then made my excuses and crawled back to vegetarianism. I’m working back toward veganism now I’m better educated.

Also, a handful of supplements in the morning is hardly difficult or a cop out. Taking them I now get more iron then I ever did as a meat eater!