Lost my exercise mojo! Need inspiration.

Options
About 3-4 weeks ago, I got out of the habit of running in the mornings. It's cold outside lately, so that doesn't help regain my lost motivation. Really I have no excuse. I have an elliptical in my living room ffs, but lately I just can't get it together to exercise.

I'm in my 40's and I have a tendency to lose weight super slowly - about a 1/2 pound a week, but I saw the most progress when I went running regularly.

What inspiration, motivational sayings, etc work for you? How do you psych yourself up to exercise?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I don't exercise, so I just wanted to say that 1/2 pound loss per week is excellent if you don't have much to lose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
  • mrack1
    mrack1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise, so I just wanted to say that 1/2 pound loss per week is excellent if you don't have much to lose.

Yeah, but I only lose that when I'm exercising regularly.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    In my 40s too late ones lol . I run a few times a week . Try and do it right after work. DON T WAIT TILL LATER LOL like nike jusr do it
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Just
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For me it's mindset. My brain says I hate exercise. I dread it. In September I started back exercising but instead of thinking I need to exercise I think of it as my me time. It's the time where the only thing that matters is me. I focus on relieving stress and how good I will feel when finished. 3 months in I look forward to that chunk of time and miss it on days I can't fit it in. The perk is I've lost about 25 pounds since Sept and have way more energy. I still have a long journey ahead but for the first time feel like my goal is realistic.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself why you've lost interest. Be very honest with yourself.

Do you not like running? Do you have a lot of weight to lose and so feel de-motivated because of the length of time it's going to take to reach your goals? What exercises do you enjoy? Have you considered joining a running club?

Motivation may get you started but habit keeps you going.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Can you take a long lunch and fit it in there or do it after work? (It's particularly hard to find the motivation in the dark and the coldest time of the day). I can't bring myself to run in the mornings especially when it gets colder (gym, yes. walking, maybe. running, no).
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always hated exercising and I still dread it. But I was extremely unfit and it embarrassed me to such an extent that I would avoid activities with friends in case someone noticed how I huffed and puffed and got all red in the face. Exercise to me is a very private ordeal because of how I felt less worthy due to being unfit (not just fat, but unfit). With that in mind I started walking alongside my dad (it's too dangerous for a woman to do it on her own where I live) and I told him honestly how I felt about it. Three months in and I still hate exercise, but I feel a whole lot more confident considering I can now basically out walk all my friends lol. In a few months I'll progress to running when I weigh less and feel more secure in my fitness level. For me it's a personal challenge to overcome so that I don't feel humiliated when I do normal, outdoors activities. I also suffer from depression which caused me to stop walking for three weeks, but I'm back at it again because I honestly want to prove a point to myself.

Set realistic goals - take it REALLY slowly, and find inspiration in challenging yourself. Mine was to become more fit due to being unhappy not partaking in sports, you should find your goal. It's never easy, but it can be fun. I went dancing a while back and I wasn't even out of breath. Super awesome considering how unfit I was. Don't do it for weight loss, because one day you'll be maintaining and will have a difficult mindset regarding exercise. Do it for a whole different reason. Mine is to have fun.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    How cold is it where you are? As long as you have appropriate clothing, I actually enjoy running in 20F-40F temperatures more than in warmer temps. The air is more crisp and easier to breathe without being so cold that it's hard to take in.

If you're in the north midwest, then I probably can't help you (I hate the extreme cold, too) but if you're in a more moderate area, then try one cold run to see if you like it. For the temps above, I'm generally OK with long running pants/tights, one short sleeve dry fit t-shirt, one dry fit long sleeve running top, a light windbreaker on top, and gloves. Maybe a hat and extra dry fit tee if it's closer to 20F than 30F.

That said, wind is my nemesis. I only run in temps below 40 if the breeze is in the mid-single digits max. Anything higher than that and I won't run.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Just schedule it and do it, just like you do work, household chores, etc. Yes, find something you really enjoy, but even then we can't solely rely on motivation to get us through a workout.

When I have a day that I just don't feel like going to the gym (barring actual illness) I stop thinking about it go anyway. If I'm really miserable and watching every minute on the clock, then I do just the minimum and leave. However, most times I find that once I get going I complete my planned workout and feel so much better afterwards. Then, when this happens again I recall the feeling I had the last time after completing a workout and build off of that.

But, it's all about finding activities you enjoy, the more variety the better and have alternatives available for when the weather or an unexpected event interferes with your schedule.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Do a little on the elliptical. Observe yourself surviving. Record it. Observe your puny record. Beat it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is finding something you actually enjoy doing so that it doesn't seem like some kind of chore. Cycling and lifting are my preferred exercise...but they are also my recreation and hobbies.

My cycling dips a bit in the winter given that it's dark and cold out during the times I could get out on the bike...I'm typically relegated to my indoor trainer during the week and I get a couple of 30 minute interval sessions in during the week and if it's nice on the weekend I'll get out on the road for a longer ride...otherwise I usually set up my trainer during a football game on Sunday and pedal away until half time.

I focus more on lifting during the winter...warm and cozy in my gym.

I do typically put on a bit of weight in the winter because, while I'm still active, I'm not as active as I am during the rest of the year and I'm pretty bad about compensating for that with food. I don't worry about it too much, as this is all pretty old hat to me at this point and I take that bit of weight off every spring when the cycling season starts.