Craving a burger, don't know the calories

Options
One of my favorite burger joints doesn't have their calorie counts posted anywhere I can find, Twisted Root Burger Co. for reference, I want to get a burger from them this weekend but I have no idea how to figure out the count for myself. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to just guess. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would use the search tool and find a burger from the most comparable restaurant I can find. That’s what I’ve always done. That’s really the best we can do aside from taking it to a nutritional lab.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    taking it to a nutritional lab.

Really wish I had one right now lol
    I've found so many in the database, all of them are ranging from 790-1200. So I could either fit it into my regular intake by skipping breakfast or it would be pretty much the only meal I have that day with a small snack. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Red Robin has all of their nutrition info on here, maybe see if you can find a comparable burger to log on their menu? Don't stress too much either, no one is 100% accurate in their logging ALL the time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You just have to find something similar and take your best guess...that's all you can do. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be good enough...striving for 100% accuracy is going to drive you bat *kitten* crazy..
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Maybe contact the company and ask for the nutritional info?
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I might try that, worse they can tell say is 'Der, we no know.' In the end y'all are right, one day won't kill my progress. Thanks everybody.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's on the burger? Around 1000 cals is about right if it's got a load of toppings
  • cwolfman13
    edited December 2017
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

I might try that, worse they can tell say is 'Der, we no know.' In the end y'all are right, one day won't kill my progress. Thanks everybody.

It looks like they have 18 locations...just a couple shy of the requirement. My guess is that they won't know because to know they have to send their food off to a lab to be tested and that's expensive and if they were going to that level of effort and expense they'd likely post that information.

Also keep in mind that even if it's provided, it can be pretty off depending on who's back their making the burger and putting the toppings on, etc. Whatever is posted is just based on the particular meal that went to the lab.

This is one of the reasons that I eat out pretty infrequently and when I do, I just enjoy myself and get what I feel like getting.

The most accurate restaurant calorie counts are typically fast food because everything is pretty much cookie cutter...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    So...looking at their menu, I can see they're not too concerned with calorie counts but they look delicious.

1/2 pound beef patty will run something like 600 calories assuming that they're using 80/20. The bun will likely run 200 calories, plus another 100 because they probably toast it with butter. Add 200 calories if you get a cheeseburger, another 200 if you get bacon, and another 200 for condiments/sauces.

So yes, those fancy restaurant burgers can be total calorie bombs (something between 1000 and 1500 depending on your toppings) but they can also be oh so worth it.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    What's on the burger? Around 1000 cals is about right if it's got a load of toppings

That's what I do when I need a burger. If it's a good-sized, good burger, I mark it at 1000 and put no more thought into it.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

That's what I do when I need a burger. If it's a good-sized, good burger, I mark it at 1000 and put no more thought into it.

I pretty much chalk any meal out as 1200...I figure it's close enough, give or take...
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I've found so many in the database, all of them are ranging from 790-1200. So I could either fit it into my regular intake by skipping breakfast or it would be pretty much the only meal I have that day with a small snack. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this.

When this happened to me, I choose the item in the mid caloric range, safest bet. Do the high range and you may not be eating enough for the day and do the low range and you may go over. Go mid range and your worst case scenario is you’ll eat at it close to maintenance. One day of maintenance here and there won’t hurt at all.

• cwolfman13
    Options

When this happened to me, I choose the item in the mid caloric range, safest bet. Do the high range and you may not be eating enough for the day and do the low range and you may go over. Go mid range and your worst case scenario is you’ll eat at it close to maintenance. One day of maintenance here and there won’t hurt at all.

And really, a couple of consecutive days of maintenance on a fairly regular basis is actually good for you...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    So...looking at their menu, I can see they're not too concerned with calorie counts but they look delicious.

1/2 pound beef patty will run something like 600 calories assuming that they're using 80/20. The bun will likely run 200 calories, plus another 100 because they probably toast it with butter. Add 200 calories if you get a cheeseburger, another 200 if you get bacon, and another 200 for condiments/sauces.

So yes, those fancy restaurant burgers can be total calorie bombs (something between 1000 and 1500 depending on your toppings) but they can also be oh so worth it.

This. I sometimes find it's easier to log it deconstructed. Use usda values for as much as you can, use it as practice of eyeballing portions, and always add a TBL of oil or butter for restaurant food, 'cause that's often what makes it extra yummy.

Worst case scenario, your logging is off for one day. No biggie :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

This. I sometimes find it's easier to log it deconstructed. Use usda values for as much as you can, use it as practice of eyeballing portions, and always add a TBL of oil or butter for restaurant food, 'cause that's often what makes it extra yummy.

Worst case scenario, your logging is off for one day. No biggie :)

I have a lot of success using this method.

(By "success," I mean, I haven't verified my estimates in a lab, but for about three years now I've been doing it for the meals others prepare for me when there is no calorie info. It hasn't held me back).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Relax, eat the burger, take a guess and move on without any further thoughts or stress.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

This is why I rarely have a burger when I go out. They're just hugely expensive in the calorie department. My wife and I go out quite a bit, but we've learned to get appetizers instead, or a small steak.

That said, I love burgers.

But what I do for my burger craving is make them at home. Bison. I weigh it out. I use low-calorie buns. I load up on the fixins; love a good tomato and iceberg lettuce. A half ounce of mayo and ketchup and I can get a burger under 600 calories. Fits my calorie budget and I don't feel deprived.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The burger on a bun is probably between 600-700 calories, and then start adding on any toppings or sauces. If yiu get a side of fries, thats another 700 calories or so. I find burgers affordable in the calorie department, but often opt for a soup as a side instead.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating burgers and fries because 1500 cals is currently my total daily calorie allowance.

I don't miss them. However, I still eat steak and other red meat but consume far fewer calories when I do by just eating the meat w/some starch & veggies on the side.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    With burgers, I've noticed that the buns are usually just vehicles for the insides, which means the bun isn't actually all that yummy. You could always skip half the bun and ask for the sauces on the side. Then you control the sauce amounts since restaurants are usually pretty generous with those and apply way more than needed.

Regarding making it work, eat a smaller breakfast and lunch, but don't show up to dinner absolutely starving. You can also hit the gym for an extra cardio workout the next morning to help offset some calories.