Trying to get rid of my “square/wide” stomach

Options
dy23xijxzl63.jpeg
5jgd0rntimcn.jpeg

I like my side view but my front view is ehhh I’m so square with an uneven muffin top im getting closer to my goal weight and I haven’t seen any difference with my front view only side view of my stomach can tips from people who previously struggled with something similar

5’6
Sw-170
Cw-149
Gw-135-130

Replies

• stacia9968
    stacia9968 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Vanessa, I am exactly where you are at. I've started to do pilates w/medicine ball and watching carefully how certain foods affect me. I'm Hoping it helps. I've had 4 kids so it's been challenging indeed. My goal is also to reach between 135-130. Im 5'5. I have 15 more lbs to go. I must say..its a challenge to get off the last 10 lbs but I know it can be done. I will sure let ya know how it's going, if you want me to. I'm going to look into some of the ab apps too.
  • Vanessa121112
    Vanessa121112 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @stacia9968 yea it continues to get harder once I get closer to my goal which is unfortunate :| but I’m continuing with my diet I don’t work out so that is what I’m thinking I need to change so I’m looking into different workouts maybe get a gym pass because dieting has got me half way to my goal but i need to see more results with my stomach and dieting Isn’t helping as much as I’d like in that area im going to add you let me know how Pilates goes for you!
  • stacia9968
    stacia9968 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I bet once you start working out, you will see a difference. Keep up the good work on your diet!! That's awesome!! Go ahead and add me. I still can't figure how to add ppl on here. I've clicked on some usernames but it doesn't give me the option to add. I will figure it out eventually lol. I will let ya know how the pilates works out. I just started doing them yesterday. I will be doing them twice a wk starting out and increase to 3 times a wk. I guess we will soon see!!
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had to start working out just to start seeing some "pulling in" of my waist...I've always been box shaped there even when I was super skinny...so this time around I've added in resistance training overall and I'm feeling a bit more optimistic. I've had a setback due to falling down my stairs (I was too damn excited over seeing snow in Louisiana :D ) and hurting my back, so I can't say 100% that it'll get me where I want to be, but I'm hopeful :)
  • Vanessa121112
    Options
    @stacia9968 i know I’m excited I’ll sign up for January at the gym and hopefully see improvements :) I was so confused at first also All you have to do is click their name then their picture will come up and Click their user name under the picture and then it’ll send you to their profile and then you just add them and yes keep me updated on your progress!
  • Vanessa121112
    Options
    @spiffychick85 omg you sound like me I’m always falling I have so many bruises on me all the time lol :D how much of a difference have you seen with your stomach since starting your training? I really feel like that a big thing for me is slimming my stomach down I feel like I’ve skimmed my whole body kinda to my goal besides my wide square stomach it’s just not keeping up with the rest of my body :(
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Continue to lose fat. If you read through the threads you'll see it repeated time and time again that stomach fat is often the last holdout. What you're experiencing is normal and you need to keep doing what you're doing to lose fat.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Exercise your upper body (chest, shoulders, back, arms) to create a V-taper.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'll make the same post here as I did in your thread in the other forum. There's an entire thread dedicated to this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • Vanessa121112
    Options
  • Vanessa121112
    Options
    @YalithKBK thank you im going to check it out right now
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It's just going to keep getting better with fat loss and strength training.

LS4umkh.jpg

Here's one years worth of fat loss and strength training and this was 6 years ago. My stomach looks totally different now. ;)

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The muffin top is the clothes, not you. Just sayin.
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have found squats to be more effective than anything else including crunches and Pilates for my middle. Check out the strong lifts program. It is fairly straightforward and very doable
  • EpicLevelWizard
    EpicLevelWizard Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    What QueenBee said as far as exercise, along with the V taper person above.

Squats, Front Squats, Deadlifts will build muscle in abs/low back better than anything. Add in some upper body work such as overhead and bench press to increase size of shoulders/arms and your midsection will appear relatively smaller, also you'll be stronger and that's always good.

As far as belly shrinkage, that's made in the kitchen and not the gym.
  • Vanessa121112
    Options
    @rainbowbow omg you look great that’s awesome you took pictures to see your progress!
  • Vanessa121112
    Options
    Thank you!