Advice needed - how to calculate excercise using a Thigh Mas

Options
Hi, need some advice please. Any idea how to calculate calories burned using a 'Thigh Master' - it's like a manual foam-padded spring-type device (my description makes it sound more like a torture implement, lol!!). I've done 100 inner thigh squeezes and 50 outer thigh presses with it on each side. It's not in the databases and I can't really find an equivalent exercise. Help!

Replies

• Camarasaurus145
    Options
    Hi Bunny!

Here is what I found from the livestrong site:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/377846-will-the-thighmaster-really-help-me-lose-weight/

I hope it helps!! :

"Calories Burned

Metabolic equivalent (MET) is a number that refers to your energy output. The formula that determines the amount of calories burned doing a certain activity is (MET x 3.5 x weight in kilograms) divided by (200) x (amount of time in minutes using the ThighMaster) = number of calories burned. Convert your weight to kilograms by dividing your weight by 2.2. If you weigh 150 pounds, your weight is 68 kilograms.

According to the Metabolic Equivalent Values for Activities in American Time Use Survey, the MET value for using the ThighMaster is calculated at 3.0. A 150-pound person burns approximately 100 calories using a ThighMaster for 30 minutes, which is similar to the amount burned when performing strength training exercises for the same amount of time.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/377846-will-the-thighmaster-really-help-me-lose-weight/#ixzz1U9hurrWF"
  • cheleskids
    Options
    I think it would be more recorded as strength training. I imagine it has a similar action like a gym machine I use. Not sure you'd be able to record it as cardio without a HRM.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it is that high. You sit while doing it right? It is one of those old Susan Summers things?

It is really for toning, and while you may burn a few more calories than just sitting there doing nothing, I wouldn't say it burns enough to calculate calorie burn.

You could put it under maybe stretching, but you have to have the amount of time. SO if it took you 5 minutes to do those, put 5 minutes.

Good Luck.
  • jkmmah
    jkmmah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The thighmaster is a strength training device. Using it you are probably not getting your heart rate up, therefore it's not cardio and thus, not really burning any additional calories by doing so. While strength training is super important to build the lean muscle mass that will ultimately burn more fat/calories, I personally would not add it into my exercise journal as far as for a caloric burn.

That said, keep doing it and add some cardio into the day, too, to reap the most benefits! :happy:
  • bunny888
    bunny888 Posts: 23
    Options
    That's fantastic - really helpful. Appreciate your time on this x
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i put in as cardio even if it not because if you do you can track calories burn...i usually just say 60 calories for 30 mins...i google it
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I was just stuck on this too.

I put it in as Strength Training & it said that in 12 min. I burned 48 calories.