What are you anti-eating hobbies/habits?

Options
What I mean by that subject is that I have a tendency to mindlessly eat when I'm bored or when I'm watching tv or when I'm reading a book...I like to munch on something, preferably a sweet something. So I've started working up things to do that make it hard to eat while I'm watching tv or reading a book.

For example: I've recently started back up on an old hobby of cross-stitching while I watch TV. Since you have to have clean hands, you can't eat while you do it. And to put it all away (so the dogs don't eat my strings!) is a pain in the hiney, so I tend to not eat if I'm cross-stitching.

I've had to totally ban eating while readin because I can't come up with a good hobby/habit to avoid eating mindlessly while reading (and I read a lot). But I've found when I'm bored two things that work for me (aside from exercise, as I usually have already worked out at least once a day and walked the dogs for an hour): 1.) I clean and/or declutter a la FlyLady for 15 minutes - kills the boredom and usually by the time I'm done doing something gross and grungy (like cleaning the hairballs out of the shower drain) I really don't want food. 2.) I have one and one play time with one of my furries (I have 3 cats and 3 dogs) - they love the individual attention and it definitely gets me un-bored.

What do you do? Any one have any tips for while I'm reading?

I know other people who paint their nails or something like that to help with the mindless munchies too.

Replies

• pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just drink a cup of warm tea. I don't really like to eat with tea and it still satisfies that urge to fiddle with something. Earl Gray or Lady Gray are nice.
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    I suck my thumb. Yeah, a 24 yr old still thumbsucking! Haha it keeps my mind occupied and makes me sleepy which in turn makes me too lazy to go get food :p
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    at first I thought it said what are you eating Hobbies, I actually laughed, cause I got lots of those.

Anti-eating is another story. :tongue:
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I dance which I guess is pretty productive, everyone says to lose a large sum of weight do activities you liked to do as a child some times I even hula hoop with my giant hula hoop!
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I crochet. I just started so and have only made one very ugly scarf but it involves both hands so when I am sitting watching tv or a movie both of my hands are busy crocheting and not eating!
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    im quite impressed that you can eat and read...I like to drink tea as well:)

otherwise you could munch on empty/low calorie foods, like celery, veggie sticks or plain popcorn:)
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I crochet too :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world, I hate when I do that! :( I try to get as far from the kitchen as possible, go for a walk, play with my pets, do Just Dance 2, or get out of my house!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I also love cross-stitching but hadn't thought about the fact that it stops me eating - nice one ;)
    Although I do sometimes take a break, eat something, and come back!
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    My biggest savior is gum .... Oh, and water. Food doesn't taste the same when chewing mint gum, kinda like brushing your teeth. In the evening, I turn off the lights to the kitchen so I don't go back in for munchies.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I do home repairs / maintenance or go out and work in the barn - no food there - or do motorcycle maintenance / repair (not applicable to everyone, I know).
  • MelanieHodgkiss1962
    Options
    I can go for hours without eating anything while crafting, I need clean hands while handling cardstock and assembling all the elements together. I also love to read and lose myself in the books anyway so nothing else matters!! (sometimes I don't even realise I need a toilet break!)