What do you always buy at the grocery store?

Options

Replies

• lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    egg whites
    Fage 0% plain greek yogurt
    Kashi cinnamon harvest cereal
    low sodium turkey or chicken lunch meat
    salad stuff
    fruit - bananas, apples, clementines, berries, pineapple, pears, peaches
    zucchini, eggplant, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, celery, mushrooms
    snack packs of baby carrots
    One of my favorite meals lately is eggplant "pizza" - slice eggplant, top with pizza sauce, cheese, veggies - and bake
    Pasta Primavera - wheat pasta, broccoli, carrots, basil, green onion, mushrooms, garlic sauteed together - YUM!
    Bird's Eye Steamfresh frozen veggies
    frozen chicken breasts
    fish, shrimp, tuna pouches
    oatmeal
    Luna Nutz Over Chocolate bars
    hummus
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    I always keep apples, oranges, blueberries, chicken, ground turkey, beef and an ABUNDANCE of veggies!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Eggs, natural turkey bacon (no added nitrates), and bananas. I know I will always consume those.
  • heatherrosebird
    Options
    Head for a farmer's market or an Asian food market, they have the best whole fresh fruits and veggies. A new one we tried recently is purple yams. You can cook them anyway you'd cook a potato, and they have some of the sweetness of sweet potatoes. These are also great for kids to try, mashed they look like you dropped a purple marker in the mashed potatoes.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have to try the Almond Milk I almost picked some up the other day.
    You can't make pudding with it. Just a heads up because that stuff is expensive and it sucked to waste a whole bowl of it on clumpy pudding that never set.
  • efarester
    efarester Posts: 158
    Options
    Almond milk :)

I use it in my cereal. I also use it for my Shakeology shakes. I used it to make some banana ice cream with frozen bananas the other day too. I just love it and it only has 60 calories.

Banana Ice Cream recipe please!! :wink:

Sure!! I used almond milk instead of 1% or whatever was recommended in this recipe. You will just have to play to get it to the texture that you want. But it is so super easy. I used my blender!

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20464846_2,00.html
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Almond milk :)

I use it in my cereal. I also use it for my Shakeology shakes. I used it to make some banana ice cream with frozen bananas the other day too. I just love it and it only has 60 calories.

Banana Ice Cream recipe please!! :wink:

Sure!! I used almond milk instead of 1% or whatever was recommended in this recipe. You will just have to play to get it to the texture that you want. But it is so super easy. I used my blender!

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20464846_2,00.html

Two thing: First on the radio this morning the silly DJ said "Don't call it almond milk. Milk only comes from
    nipples and there are no nipples on almonds." Funny.

Second, what about the "don't drink your calories" idea. Is it really a good idea to drink almond milk,
    instead of a glass of water, a cube of sugar and a serving of almonds? I'm not criticizing here,
    just wondering.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    eggs, string cheese, greek yogurt, healthy life bread, tumaro tortillas, deli ham and tons and tons of veggies.
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, eggs, apples, bananas,berries, almond milk, spinach, tomatoes, avocado, sweet potatoes, chicken, "Chobani" yogurt, nuts and baby carrots
  • regina_mundi
    Options
    I limit myself to and am usually under $83.33 per month (i.e., $1000/year) on food, household, hygiene stuff, etc., so I don't have a regular list, because what I buy depends on what's on sale and what I have coupons for. I also grow some of my own vegetables and all my herbs.

Always in my pantry: dry black beans, garbanzo beans, and lentils; bulgur wheat; TVP; pasta (Barilla Protein Plus, Ronzoni Healthy Harvest, Ronzoni Smart Taste); canned tomatoes; oatmeal; natural peanut butter; soy sauce; hot sauces; mustards; non-sugar sweetener (Splenda with Fiber and Truvia, both of which I got close to free); flour (AP, whole wheat, and chickpea).

Always in my freezer: tofu, which takes on a much more substantial texture when frozen and thawed; assorted frozen vegetables, especially spinach; butter; ginger. I'm also guilty of an unspecified number of Lean Cuisine boxes.

Perishables always on hand: garlic; onions (green, red, and Vidalia); lemons; limes; eggs; yogurt, Greek and not; almond or skim milk; all manner of cheeses, especially Parmigiano-Reggiano, feta, and some variety of goat cheese, as well as whatever strikes my fancy—at the moment, mimolette and morbier.

That's all I can think of for now.
  • mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    eggs, cottage cheese, turkey, fiber bars, brown rice, fresh salsa(not pasty), crystal light lemonade, 2 gallons of distilled water, bottled water, frozen chicken/fish, plums(other fruit), almond or soy milk, canned tuna and chicken, pickles, sweet or regular potato.

i go to the store about once a week and pick up 3+ of these items at a time. This is seriously all that I eat.

sometimes goat cheese as a treat!!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Whatever vegetables are on sale from the following; peppers, garlic, zuccini, broccoli, asparagus
    Granny smith apples
    Almonds
    Brown rice
    Black beans
    Soy milk

- New Vegan.
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I'm always buying whatever fruits and veggies that are on sale but always romaine lettuce, tomatoes, bananas, apples. I'm also always buying eggs, boneless skinless chicken, almonds and honey nut cheerios (between me and two kids we go through cheerios like there's no tomorrow).
  • msbeavert
    Options
    Almond Milk, bananas, grapes, romaine lettuce, two dozen eggs, albacore, multi-grain bread and boneless/skinless chicken breast. I don't switch up very often. Oh....and BBQ Pop Chips and Garden Herb Triscuits.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Two thing: First on the radio this morning the silly DJ said "Don't call it almond milk. Milk only comes from
    nipples and there are no nipples on almonds." Funny.

Second, what about the "don't drink your calories" idea. Is it really a good idea to drink almond milk,
    instead of a glass of water, a cube of sugar and a serving of almonds? I'm not criticizing here,
    just wondering.

#1: HILARIOUS! I totally agree
    #2: You do have to get your calcium especially if you are female so drinking milk is a necessity. I became a vegan a month ago so I brought back my morning protein shake and it tastes divine (creamy, almost like 3% milk) with 1 cup of soymilk @ 70 cals + 123 for the protein powder. Previously to veganism I did do 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup water + ice to cut back on calories. Since soymilk has just as much calcium as milk, 30% DRI it's great. Even better, there are only 7-8 carbs per glass of soy milk vs 1% which has 25-27, YIKES!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Stonyfield Oikos Greek Yogurt
    Old Fasioned oats
    Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
    Salsa
    Kashi cereals
    Some sort of fresh fruit.

I eat A LOT of oatmeal and I mix it up by adding fruit in right before it's finished cooking. Sometimes it's a mashed up banana, sometimes it's finely chopped peaches, sometimes it's unsweetened all natural apple sauce. A pinch of cinnamon works well for all those.

My hubs is a dry cereal guy and we've found that the Kashi ones are the best in terms of ingredients. No weird preservatives like BHT and no artificial sweeteners.

The rest of our grocery list depends on our meal plan for the week.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to and am usually under $83.33 per month (i.e., $1000/year) on food, household, hygiene stuff, etc., so I don't have a regular list, because what I buy depends on what's on sale and what I have coupons for. I also grow some of my own vegetables and all my herbs.

:drinker: Cheers to you for being able to keep your grocery bill to $83/month! That's fantastic! Are you an extreme couponer? Ha, ha...just kidding! :laugh: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    industrial size salsa. It's low calorie. On or in beans, eggs, rice, pasta, steel-cut oats(really), barley, vegetables, and about 100 other things I'm not thinking about. If you are from the mid-west you can get "Mild" :smile:

Okay, what kind of a recipe are you using with the steel cut oats? I can see it being good, but just wondering how you prepare it.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Red lettuce, Kale, Avocados, Onions, Garlic, whole wheat pasta, bulk organic oatmeal and fresh fruit.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I always have Trader Joe's Almond Meal. I put that stuff in/on everything.